Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

88uu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
I got this brand new ipad mini two days ago off of local CL for real cheap.
The box was unopened, still in shrink wrap/sealed.
I opened it later that day and noticed the color of sleep/wake button on the ipad was wrong. Instead of being slate/black, its silver like the ones you find on the white ipad mini.
Everything else is & works fine, only other blemish I found was some minor scuffgate but I could care less about those.
I call the local apple store, explained my situation, and they told me that the s/n checks out fine and will replace mine with a new one if I bring it in.
But the nearest apple store is about 2 hour drive and I'm currently contemplating if I should make the trip.
Any thoughts or advice?

Attachments

• IMG_0871.JPG
    IMG_0871.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 297
Last edited:

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
You can't really do anything else other than take it to apple unless you want to colour it with a black sharpie.

88uu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
I think you should keep it! It's very unique.
Yeah, I been searching online for the past few hours to see if someone else has one with a simliar cosmetic flaw as mine but no avail. It's one of a kind I guess lol.

Last edited:

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Keep it. Doesn't affect functionality in the least and I think it actually looks pretty cool that way. Now I wish mine was that way too. :D

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I would trade it in just for the fact that if you have an issue six months later, they could see it as a problem and say that it voids the AppleCare. Because what was said today, isn't usually the case next week.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
I would trade it in just for the fact that if you have an issue six months later, they could see it as a problem and say that it voids the AppleCare. Because what was said today, isn't usually the case next week.

Unless he asks Apple customer service to note it in his account/Apple ID/serial #. That way they will know it was a defect from the start and not something he did on his own.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Craigslist means that more then likely some has opened this mini and swapped parts.
Is it a 64GB with only 16GB of space?
I would never purchase electronics from CL. Good luck with it.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
now that is a 1 in a million photo right there LOL

i would get it replaced - you don't know what else could have gotten mixed up that you can't see

chances are they ran out of sleep buttons in black slate so they just grabbed a silver one just to get an extra product out the door. the assemblers likely have quotas.

something like this is pretty hard to miss unless you are seriously color blind. even a mildly color blind person would have caught the difference. this was clearly done intentionally

88uu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
Craigslist means that more then likely some has opened this mini and swapped parts.
Is it a 64GB with only 16GB of space?
I would never purchase electronics from CL. Good luck with it.
It's 16gb model. No signs of tampering whatsoever.
But I know what you mean. I was skeptical at first but it was unopened & the price was too good pass up.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
It's 16gb model. No signs of tampering whatsoever.
But I know what you mean. I was skeptical at first but it was unopened & the price was too good pass up.

i would swap it, even if it means driving 2 hrs

88uu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
This means nothing in 2013.

Did you confirm the S/N from the device itself (not the box)?
Yes, I checked both s/n number with a apple rep and it's clean. Local apple store employee I spoke to on the phone said the same. Warranty will expire in late march 2014.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Yes, I checked both s/n number with a apple rep and it's clean. Local apple store employee I spoke to on the phone said the same. Warranty will expire in late march 2014.

You got it real cheap so after you checked with Apple I'd say good luck and hope it works out for you. I started a thread wanting the back of a white mini on my black's back instead.

88uu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
I been using it non-stop for the past two days no prob so far. Here are some more photos I took before opening the device. Let me know if you guys spot anything suspicious.

Attachments

• IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0867.jpg
    IMG_0867.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 175

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
You have their consent to replace it so just keep using it and decide later.

I say it was altered, not an error on Apple's part. Just my humble opinion though.

It may be unique but if was in the market for a used mini, I would not buy yours if you wanted to sell it down the road.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
I been using it non-stop for the past two days no prob so far. Here are some more photos I took before opening the device. Let me know if you guys spot anything suspicious.

Nope, nothing suspicious, but again that doesn't really mean anything nowadays.

People were busted in Chicago for selling fake iPads!! Think about it. If you can fake an entire iPad, what's a bit of packaging and wrapping?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.