Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
A "stripped-down version of Android" in the same vain as Amazon's? No thanks.

Even worse, Facebook will be collecting a lot of data from its phone users, which is really concerning.

Concerning? What is it regarding?

I find this comment very disconcerting.

But I do understand your concern. . .

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I look forward to the LinkedIn phone, the Twitterphone (where you'll only be allowed 6 second calls) and the inevitable TempleRun Phone!

kdarling

macrumors P6
Isn't it a new home screen / launcher for Android, replacing HTC Sense or Samsung Touchwiz? Not a phone as such.

I also believe it's a launcher, which fits with "New Home".

Not only does that instantly give it the ability to run on millions of already owned devices, but the devices can be upgraded independently.

Moreover, if FB is smart, they'll have a really nice tablet version using all the extra space.

This could be a killer launcher app for Teens and Grandparents, and sell tons of Android phones and tablets.

Shearwater

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Leeds , West Yorkshire
Fanboys revolt!!

The release of this phone and the Amazon model will panic Apple into an early release of new phones. A primary and budget model.
Apple is a business by the way...not a social organisation for the benefit of its fans....:eek:

haze

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Facebook is still the second most trafficked website after only Google according to alexa or whatever the web traffic website is called.

If they're not on Facebook, what are they on?

They are on Tumblr. They still use Facebook to communicate, but Tumblr is the main time suck.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
This is all one big YAAAAWWWNNN..... really... wake me up with something really cool happens. This, the Samsung 4, and even the iPhone 5 are all just more of the same and my guess is it will be like this for a while and the better solutions will just keep passing customers around.

Wake me up with something interesting happens. :rolleyes:

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Yikes!!!

with greater control over what info they pull from you.

And I agree with what others have said (and how I felt 1-2 year back) this would have been OK 3-4 years ago–the facebook-phone part not the data collecting but now that idea of a FacebookPhone is just silly.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
"With deeper control of a modified operating system would come huge opportunities to collect data on its users. Facebook knows that who you SMS and call are important indicators of who your closest friends are. Its own version of Android could give it that info, which could be used to refine everything from what content you’re shown in the news feed to which friends faces are used in ads you see."

In other words, at least for me, Facebook just announced their new "Why You'll Hate, and be Afraid of, and Annoyed By, Our New Phone" advertising campaign.

"spyPhone meet iPhone"

(Facebook "spyPhone", I like my new word!)

(FB could call their inevitable tablet the Facenook"!)

(Badumpa, I'll be here all week.)

Marv89

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
I had to decide Nexus or iPad mini.
Then my Samsung Phone and my Macbook Air broke within 3 weeks, and I tried to get them repaired in Taiwan (I am from Germany and of course didn't have any bill or anything with me)... I have an iPad now. Support worldwide is superior.

codefuns

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Google doesn't sell your information to data mining companies too. They just give you information you may be interesting. don't spread FUD.

so true.

Apple is the only one now who isn't taking our information and selling it off to the world through ads to data mining companies

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
The only way I see this works out well for Facebook is if they come up with something new on the lowend. Such as a device that really only does Facebook (the whole suite: facebook IM, Facebook calls, games, using facebook browser etc.), but is cheap and requires a very inexpensive plan - something like $25/month.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I suspect Apple has slowed down its roll-out of new products temporarily to catch its breath but also to slow down competitors who do nothing but copy Apple ideas ahead of the drop-dead date for getting new products ready for the Christmas season. It's a smart move on both counts. Get your competitors to commit to older tech and then leap forward.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I suspect Apple has slowed down its roll-out of new products temporarily to catch its breath but also to slow down competitors who do nothing but copy Apple ideas ahead of the drop-dead date for getting new products ready for the Christmas season. It's a smart move on both counts. Get your competitors to commit to older tech and then leap forward.

And this relates to this announcement how?

And "older tech" is relative. It's about performance. Tech specs matter but only if they are used efficiently. By many counts - you can easily say Apple's iPhone is old and outdated tech.

jumanji

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
Austin, TX
People are already becoming restless and wanting to leave. The only reason people are still on Facebook is because everyone else is a member. This would have sold a ton around 2008-2009.

this is spot on. they are too late. facebook may still have the numbers but its not "it" anymore. facebook is an accessory.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
TechCrunch

With deeper control of a modified operating system would come huge opportunities to collect data on its users. Facebook knows that who you SMS and call are important indicators of who your closest friends are. Its own version of Android could give it that info, which could be used to refine everything from what content you're shown in the news feed to which friends faces are used in ads you see.

Where do I sign up? :rolleyes:

Better yet, I'd love to have a Facebook house where every single thing I do at home is monitored, analyzed and resold to advertisers. Or maybe an implanted chip in my brain to listen to my thoughts. 1984, here we come!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
They are on Tumblr. They still use Facebook to communicate, but Tumblr is the main time suck.

... Isn't Tumblr older than Facebook? And substantially less popular? I have a Twitter account that I never use just so I can see when people are talking about me... For a blog I chose to get Wordpress instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.