Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
iphone_wraparound_display_1.jpg

What's up with the icon that has the Anarchy symbol on it?

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
I think a curved device would feel wonderful in the hand. Remember the iPhone 3G - 3GS and 2-3 gen iPod touch? IMO these devices were a lot more ergonomic than the newer rectangularer iPhones.
I don't know about a curved display though. That would feel kind of weird.

chainprayer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
You can link two devices together, but if Safari stretches to the other device, it will cost more on AT&T

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
like .... far out ....

This is just strange..

How can you comfortably even use a curved iPhone, let alone having the whole display wrap-around.

In retrospect, this look exactly like the TomTom standalone GPS where it curved at the back and you could insert a SD card at the bottom.

The other iPhone designs are not much better either....a cylinder shape well make your eyes you crossed in seconds, while the other is look bulky.....

If Apple really wanted to make something consumes will love, how about a replaceable battery ? Android owners have had this for years.

The joining of two iPhones to make a larger screen ? Thats just silly.... its a mobile device. Plus, you trust for friend to stay put.

If you want to view on a bigger screen use Airplay, we already have that already.

All in all,,, its not a bad, but no practical use for real world situation.

cgsnipinva

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2013
Leesburg, VA
No, Samsung is DOING the research and development of the curved display, while Apple is waiting for the technology to be available. Apple does not make displays, so I don't see how on earth they can patent a curved display design.

Apple created and patented the technology behind the retina display and contract out the manufacturing.

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
Looks like a Hershey bar. I'd buy one. It would be neat if the display was wraparound so you have real estate all the way around the phone. :cool:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
i dont care if they can make one that you can fold, id rather work on a flat display then a curved one!

who knows what they will do. Apple has patented a lot of stuff that they never use beyond patenting to others.

The best this might turn up in something Apple would be if they are working on a wristband or glasses style add on to your devices.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
That's because Samsung has soooo many patents with AMOLED. What's funny is many fanboys prefer IPS displays. I wonder what will happen if Apple does implement AMOLED. I've got so many posts saved....yes I'm that sad!:D

----------

Samsung seems to have others...

Your not alone my friend on the "post saved" :D

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
That's because Samsung has soooo many patents with AMOLED. What's funny is many fanboys prefer IPS displays. I wonder what will happen if Apple does implement AMOLED. I've got so many posts saved....yes I'm that sad!:D

It is funny yes.. Particularly, when you think Apple has always had issues with IPS technology with their screens... eg ghosting etc...

However, I think its probably due to the fact IPS is better in regard to 'Retina" . With AMOLED, i dunno if Apple could achieve the same result. Even if it may solve this ghosting issues.

By the way... where does the iPad 3rd and 4th gen fit in here ? They use IPS too.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
DPI? Are you sure you know what you blabbering about? Do you know when DPI is used and how it's different from PPI?

Resolution is same irrespective of any type of display. What you are clearly referring to is PenTile matrix. I am sure you know PenTile has nothing to do with AMOLED. You can have PenTile also in LCD displays.

Don't waste my time here. We see illiterates like you everyday.

You'd make a great teacher.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Ahem.....

Apparently Samsung stole from the future!:eek:

LOL

Watch as Samsung gets sued again...

The patent system is still broke, and it should be first to invent - not the transparently obvious "first to file" fraud that passed in 2011, quietly signed by congress and the president...

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
Actually OLED displays and the integral transistors were first tested and produced in late 1960's. Motorola has tested these out before.

"Super AMOLED" is Samsung's marketing label for their OLED product. They are not the only producer.

How about 97% of total AMOLED production in the world? It's safe to say rest all are irrelevant.

ReiszRie

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
LOL

Watch as Samsung gets sued again...

The patent system is still broke, and it should be first to invent - not the transparently obvious "first to file" fraud that passed in 2011, quietly signed by congress and the president...

ignorance breeds conspiracist theorist ;)

----------

How about 97% of total AMOLED production in the world? It's safe to say rest all are irrelevant.

source?

RAPTORSKI

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
British Columbia
I like the concept on paper but wouldn't you loose useful touch space from the curve?
Don't really see the point of having two displays or a curved display, it seems to have way more disadvantages than advantages in real life situations.

A 2nd display would just be useless. No/minimal bezel on one display is what I look forward to, not a 2nd screen or a curved/wrap around screen.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Apple Researching...

Stuck in "research mode" Apple falls further and further behind. Content to brag about the fat profits they're collecting off of yesterday's products, once the decline begins Apple will have a tough time stopping the decay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.