Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

js81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
KY
$30 is nothing..

No, $30 is $30 - I mean that's a whole half a tank of gas!. :p I agree, though - Apple is being stingy (sp?), but it IS a 10% discount. iPad 2 gets a 20% discount...

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
No, $30 is $30 - I mean that's a whole half a tank of gas!. :p I agree, though - Apple is being stingy (sp?), but it IS a 10% discount. iPad 2 gets a 20% discount...

What do you drive? I just filled up today and it was $108. $30 isn't even a third :(. Damn 30 gallon tank.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
With a Target credit card, you can get 5 percent off an iPad mini. That makes a 16GB WiFi model $312.55. For $12.55 more, I'll take the brand new one.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
With a Target credit card, you can get 5 percent off an iPad mini. That makes a 16GB WiFi model $312.55. For $12.55 more, I'll take the brand new one.

that is a good point, but you forgot to include sales tax which actually makes it a $15 difference. for some on a budget, the $15 matters b/c they can then use that money to buy a case

also most credit cards give you at least 1% cash back anyways, plus those click-thru cash back websites like Mr Rebates which gives you another 1% back on top of that on the full sale price (not consecutively reduced).

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Refurbs are known to be as good if not better than new ones because they get a very thorough examination before hitting the shelves.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Refurbs are known to be as good if not better than new ones because they get a very thorough examination before hitting the shelves.

Refurbs can be as good? i dont know but better, i think not.

Otherwise there wouldn't be anyone going for brand new anymore. For apple, at $299 is one stingy deal.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
that is a good point, but you forgot to include sales tax which actually makes it a $15 difference. for some on a budget, the $15 matters b/c they can then use that money to buy a case

also most credit cards give you at least 1% cash back anyways, plus those click-thru cash back websites like Mr Rebates which gives you another 1% back on top of that on the full sale price (not consecutively reduced).

Doesn't Apple charge sales tax as well? So that makes it all even between Target and Apple. That's just not much of a difference for me to go from brand new to a refurb. I haven't had trouble with an Apple refurb, but that little of a difference just doesn't seem worth it.

On a related note, I would've bought my iMac refurb except I got two years same as cash by going new at Best Buy. That makes a huge difference, especially when I saw that I saved about $600 in interest by paying it off on time.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Refurbs can be as good? i dont know but better, i think not.

Otherwise there wouldn't be anyone going for brand new anymore. For apple, at $299 is one stingy deal.

Since they come with a one year warranty (same as new), does it matter? 30 dollars saved here and there adds up. Besides, don't we hear people griping over paying more than a dollar for an app these days? Funny that 30 is nothing though when paying Apple.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada

Wow, I would've thought that discount wouldn't have worked on Apple products. If only my Target card worked in the US... (they're distributing cards in Canada even though they don't open any stores for a couple months)

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013

I strongly disagree. They might be as good, might be better, might be worse, might be garbage. The thought that they undergo a very thorough examination is something that has been repeated so many times but is simply not true. Do you really think that there is a room somewhere where people just stand around running refurbs through a battery of tests before being sent out?

Of course not. They simply fix the problem that it had (if any) slap on a new battery and shell, and kick it out the door. They don't sit there and examine every piece of hardware in the device.

js81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
KY
What do you drive? I just filled up today and it was $108. $30 isn't even a third :(. Damn 30 gallon tank.

Hyundai Tucson - 17 gallon tank. :D

------------

While I still think $30 is stingy on Apple's part, as I and others have said $30 is $30. I'm getting close to getting myself a new iPad to replace my work-provided (and can't get an upgrade :() iPad 1. I know the 4 is the best (my dad just got my mom a 4 to replace her 1 as a bday present and the entire time I was helping set it up I almost drooled all over it lol), but since we have a new baby / are buying a house, I don't want to spend $500. All ideas point to the 3 being a bad idea, so I'm between a Mini at $299 and a 2 at $319 - which is the better idea? The 2 is "older," but the tech is the same.

$30 is a stingy discount, but then again it's a 10% discount on Apple's newest and best selling iPad. I hate to say it, but we're lucky to be getting a discount at all... I'll take what I can get. :)

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Hyundai Tucson - 17 gallon tank. :D

------------

While I still think $30 is stingy on Apple's part, as I and others have said $30 is $30. I'm getting close to getting myself a new iPad to replace my work-provided (and can't get an upgrade :() iPad 1. I know the 4 is the best (my dad just got my mom a 4 to replace her 1 as a bday present and the entire time I was helping set it up I almost drooled all over it lol), but since we have a new baby / are buying a house, I don't want to spend $500. All ideas point to the 3 being a bad idea, so I'm between a Mini at $299 and a 2 at $319 - which is the better idea? The 2 is "older," but the tech is the same.

$30 is a stingy discount, but then again it's a 10% discount on Apple's newest and best selling iPad. I hate to say it, but we're lucky to be getting a discount at all... I'll take what I can get. :)

if you are trying to decide between an iPad Mini and an iPad 2 - i would go with the iPad Mini.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
My primary vehicle is a Prius, $30 will almost fill it up and with 50 mpg that goes a dang long way. I recently bought an iPad 3 from Brandsmart. 64 GB AT&T model, for $599. Lots of good deals from stores that still have 3rd generations in stock.

js81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
KY
if you are trying to decide between an iPad Mini and an iPad 2 - i would go with the iPad Mini.

I'm leaning that way, too, since the hardware is identical and it's the "newer" device. My only concern is going from the 9.7" screen to the 7.9" - anybody done it and been happy with it? I don't think the weight of a 2 will be a concern to me - remember, I'm coming from a 1st gen lol.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I'm leaning that way, too, since the hardware is identical and it's the "newer" device. My only concern is going from the 9.7" screen to the 7.9" - anybody done it and been happy with it? I don't think the weight of a 2 will be a concern to me - remember, I'm coming from a 1st gen lol.

yeah i did it. i returned the ipad mini for other reasons though, not screen size. if you haven't been the owner of a Retina iPad, going from an iPad 1/2 to an iPad Mini is very easy.

the iPad Mini is a great device due to it's size and weight. you can hold it in 1 hand and not even realize from a weight standpoint that you are holding what is essentially an entire iPad 2 (with an even better camera and speakers) in your hand. i remember it made reading The Economist, Businessweek, and other magazines so much easier.

ugh...just talking about it makes me want a Mini again. i just couldn't go back to that resolution after using Retina.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland

I'd go with the iPad 2. That's what I did. I much prefer the larger size. The only thing I envy is the red poly smart cover available for the mini. Oh, keep in mind, though, Siri is on iPad mini and not iPad 2.

js81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
KY
i just couldn't go back to that resolution after using Retina.

Yeah, I'm "used" to a 1st gen, so the resolution shouldn't be a big deal, BUT the retina display on the 4 is sweet. Kind of makes me reconsider looking at the refurb 3 ($379).

I'd go with the iPad 2. That's what I did. I much prefer the larger size. The only thing I envy is the red poly smart cover available for the mini. Oh, keep in mind, though, Siri is on iPad mini and not iPad 2.

My mom got a red poly smart CASE for her iPad 4 (fits the 2, too, methinks). Thanks for your response, btw. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.