Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmcmorran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
Good morning - we have been considering purchasing an Apple MacPro the 13.3" inch screen one.
Would you all recommend this? Or what are your thoughts? Our budget is about $1200.00 or so - so we cannot buy anything more expensive than that.
Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
It is a good machine, but since it also depends on your computational needs, we cannot clearly say, that this is a good or bad choice for you, thus please state the nature of your computing habits.

osiris24x

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2007
Assuming you won't be playing any high-end video games on it nor doing extensive video editing (you'd want a larger screen and better graphics chip), the 13" MacBook Pro is a great machine. The new version is lighter than the old, with a great battery life. If you're looking to play games, I'd recommend the 15" or 17" as they have more capable GPUs (the NVIDIA GeForce series). It's also worth noting that the entry level 13" is the ONLY Mac you can buy new within your price range.

rmcmorran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
Thanks for the advice - I understand that is all our budget can really afford, and that is okay.
We is myself, husband and daughter (who uses Macs in school).

We use it for photos, iTunes, and internet browsing. No gaming for us.
Thoughts?

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks for the advice - I understand that is all our budget can really afford, and that is okay.
We is myself, husband and daughter (who uses Macs in school).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Then any base Mac will do that, even the Mac mini or MacBook Airs. Maybe take a look at the Refurbished Mac section in the Apple Online Store to find even better deals.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Thoughts?

If you want portability, I'd look at the 13" MacBook Air rather than the 13" Pro - its much thinner and lighter, has a slightly better screen and using a SSD rather than a HD makes it feel really fast. If you go for a refurbished Air you can probably pick up one with the 256GB SSD within your budget.

These days, the 13" Pro is really just for people who can't live without the DVD Drive, Ethernet, Firewire or a huge hard-drive.

If you don't need portability, get a Mini (again, possibly refurbished) and a non-Apple HDMI monitor, mouse and keyboard and you'll come in way under budget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.