Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
By cutting out sales reps' comm. at stores. Such price could only be available online. Their sales reps will flock to VZW or other carriers's stores to work because there will be no meat left since every plan is "un-contract".

These prices are available in store and I would imagine that they are banking on this bringing them new customers so the reps will be fine if it works as planned.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Long overdue

I dont' understand how some are saying this is not different than the other 3 carrier plans, it is.

For the first time ever do we get a carrier in the US that gives you the best of both worlds: A lower upfront fee WITHOUT the 2 year contract. You have the freedom to either change phones every year (buy out your phone and get a new one) or if you are like most of us averages Joes, just hang on to your phone a few more months after 2 years and watch your bill drop.

I know a lot of families who hang on to their old phones yet keep paying insane amounts for phones that they already paid for with AT&T and Verizon.

Go T-Mobile, you have my vote

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
I dont' understand how some are saying this is not different than the other 3 carrier plans, it is.

For the first time ever do we get a carrier in the US that gives you the best of both worlds: A lower upfront fee WITHOUT the 2 year contract. You have the freedom to either change phones every year (buy out your phone and get a new one) or if you are like most of us averages Joes, just hang on to your phone a few more months after 2 years and watch your bill drop.

I know a lot of families who hang on to their old phones yet keep paying insane amounts for phones that they already paid for with AT&T and Verizon.

Go T-Mobile, you have my vote

So basically they've joined how the rest of the world operates? maybe whilst they're at it they can get rid of that stupid idea of making the receiving party pay for the call instead of the call originator then maybe some sanity will enter the US mobile phone market.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
So basically they've joined how the rest of the world operates? maybe whilst they're at it they can get rid of that stupid idea of making the receiving party pay for the call instead of the call originator then maybe some sanity will enter the US mobile phone market.

Yea, but 'the rest of the world' your cell number has a different code, and you have to pay extra when you call landline to cell phone, and God help you if you are calling a competing network. Hence 2-SIM phones are popular over there; one for each network.

I hate AT&T and 2 year contracts as anyone, but I am the first to admit that if it wasn't for **that** kind of arrangement, iPhone would have never happened.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Yea, but 'the rest of the world' your cell number has a different code, and you have to pay extra when you call landline to cell phone, and God help you if you are calling a competing network. Hence 2-SIM phones are popular over there; one for each network.

I don't know where you are but the only time they had a two tier pricing was to encourage people to get their friends to move onto the same network (no carriers do that any more where we are ever since the introduction of number portability and for end users not knowing who is on what network) but these days the carrier I'm with gives me 150minutes per month and the carrier doesn't care whether I phone someone on another network or a land line as they treat it all the same. As for a landline calling a mobile phone - what is wrong with that? it is the best way to avoid telemarketers - if they want to ring my phone they're going to have to pay money to get access to me. Ever since moving to naked broadband with a mobile as my home phone I've had zero telemarketers ring me up.

Question: why the heck should I pay for a phone call you make to my mobile phone? I never asked you to ring me, I never gave you permission to charge my mobile account before ringing so where is the right of the receiving party not to get charged for an unwanted phone call?

PacificBeach

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
this isn't any cheaper than anyone else for those who upgrade after every couple or whenever eligible. All they're doing is shifting around the #'s

$70 is great for all this unlimited stuff - but you've forgot to tack on another $20 for the "phone loan".

$90 grand total. It's great marketing though to artificially make your pricing look so low so since all of NA is used to looking at the monthly with subsidies.
Switching from VZW to T-Mo would lower my phone bill but 49 dollars a month. And it would be cool to have a IPhone 5 and HTC One and be able to swap the sims to change phones from time to time......

rockarollr

Suspended
Apr 3, 2010
USA
If you care too much for the resale value, then I got bad news for you...technology moves, fast. Heck, the resale drops the instant you unwrap the box. It's like driving a new car off the lot. Also, you're an AT&T customer, why are you feeling bad about this T-Mobile iPhone announcement? The tweaked model is only beneficial to the latter's customers.

"Apple plans to phase out the existing A1428 hardware in favor of the new version, which means future phones from AT&T might also ship with AWS support included. While the current A1428 phone works with T-Mobile's network, it is notably slower than the modified version." -MacRumors

That simply makes the A1428 model I bought only a little over a month ago less valuable when/if I choose to sell it to upgrade later on. That's why I'm "feeling bad" about the T-Mobile iPhone announcement - it instantly killed my new iPhone 5's resale value.

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
The HD voice is no hype or gimmick. It's insanely clear iphone 5 to 5 on TMO and no delay. It's closer to a great connected Skype call. Very impressive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.