Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlackMamba14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Wanted to get an MBA but was wondering if there is going to be a redesign coming soon. Should I wait or will the design look the same. Thanks

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Probably no redesign; last one was in 2010. It will just be Haswell, maybe better quality screen, maybe better battery life, maybe better CPU, definitely better GPU. If any of those sound good, wait. Just do not put all your hopes in a Retina screen.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Doesn't get a lot of attention but I would like liquid spill resistance. The competitors already have it it seems. Granted, that will keep some more old laptop functioning and no need to upgrade nor buy Apple Care+ but COMEON! That's what we all fear: Splash! and $1,000 down the toilet literally.

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
Doesn't get a lot of attention but I would like liquid spill resistance. The competitors already have it it seems. Granted, that will keep some more old laptop functioning and no need to upgrade nor buy Apple Care+ but COMEON! That's what we all fear: Splash! and $1,000 down the toilet literally.

I've seen a couple MacBooks fried by some coffee spills.
Easy fix - don't bring liquids close to your expensive computer...

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
+1 to itsOver9000. Don't drink and drive your Mac. Also, give careful consideration to using a keyboard cover. At $7.50, I have one on each of my three Macs. Really, really cheap insurance.

Last edited:

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Wanted to get an MBA but was wondering if there is going to be a redesign coming soon. Should I wait or will the design look the same. Thanks

The current gen Macbook Air is really just an extremely capable machine. It never slows me down, the battery life is great, and it just feels very refined compared to my rMBP because Apple has had a few years to perfect this design, and because of this, it really speeds along. If you are looking for a Retina display, go for the 13'' rMBP, but as others have said, I don't think there will be a major redesign in the next Airs. If I were you I'd just grab an Air now. Especially if the Haswell update only brings minor changes (which IMO it will), you really wouldn't be missing out on a whole lot. There's always going to be better/newer features, but this model doesn't leave me wanting whatsoever.

LiveinRiot

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
I believe that Apple will only do a redesign on Macbook Airs in 2014/2015. If they could make a Macbook Pro 13'' with Retina thinner than the current one, they would have done.

I believe these ultrabooks very high resolution or have a very high price to the Macbook Air, or will be too thick to be called Ultrabooks, together with a low battery performace (something like 3 ~ 5 hours).

Apple also is investing in technology that promises IGZO decrease the energy expenditure of the screens. Now, no doubt, at least in 2014 to have a Macbook Air with Retina, and it will come with a redesign to make the Macbook Air thinner and lighter, because Apple will never leave the Macbook Airs thicker or heavier than ever are. Let's count the Broadwell further improve the performace of energy along with a major advance graphic.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

I don't think Apple is going to invest resources in redesigning the air unless it results in a revolutionary breakthrough. It works well and looks great, and I think Apple will hang on to that design for as long as they can until people eventually feel they are tired of the wedge design and sales figures drop enough to make Apple take notice.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
If we get the update this year do you think it will be announced around July/Aug/Sep and released, based on history?

I've not heard of any events planned but i fancy changing my 2011 MBA this year.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
The apologists that tell you not to live a normal life just because you have a poorly designed computer are the reason why Apple continue to be behind in a bunch of areas. Stop being fanboys, and start being consumers. The answer to the problem isn't stop drinking like a normal human being around a computer. The answer is to build a computer that can handle a small mishap. Others do it. Apple can too. So sick of fanboys and their idiotic logic.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
The apologists that tell you not to live a normal life just because you have a poorly designed computer are the reason why Apple continue to be behind in a bunch of areas. Stop being fanboys, and start being consumers. The answer to the problem isn't stop drinking like a normal human being around a computer. The answer is to build a computer that can handle a small mishap. Others do it. Apple can too. So sick of fanboys and their idiotic logic.

nothing to do with being a fanboy. my mrs has a samsung laptop, id also advise her not to chuck a pint of water over it.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
So your solution is to live like Monks.

HzO - interesting technology.

No, his solution was not to bring liquids near your laptop. If that translates to living like Monks, you either don't know what a Monk is, don't now what a liquid is, or both. ;)

Liquids and electrical components rarely intermingle in harmony. This has nothing to do with Apple, or Apple fanboys. This phenomenon was true before Apple existed, that much I can assure you.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
I don't think there will be a re-design either. At best you will get a retina screen, at worst it will simply be a Haswell upgrade.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009

honestly, you shouldn't be using your laptop on the toilet anyway, that's just gross
;)

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011

Please, enlighten us how others have built a laptop that 'can handle a small mishap'. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009

yikes - is it just me or is the term "fanboy" more annoying than the group of people it sets out to define?

I feel like i've lived a "normal life" and that includes not spilling liquid on my electronics. when it inevitably happens, i'm not angry at anyone other than the person that does it - typically myself.

My current almost 5 year old MBP has been dropped, frozen, left in hot cars, dropped some more and had 2 major spills - one with water the other with whiskey.

So far i've had to replace the motherboard and that's it.
i'd say that's as good as any other computer out there. there have been some advancements in recent years in terms of liquid resistant design but it's still in the nacent stages of development and the efficacy is certainly up in the air.

brand loyalty is for suckers - but your post is a bit silly.
what areas is Apple behind - more importantly, what about any of these machines would be defined by you as "poorly designed?"

if you spill a drink on your computer then you only have yourself to blame if you damage that computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.