Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

San Francisco district attorney George Gascón told the SF Examiner (via AppleInsider) that an Apple representative told him the next two generations of iPhones have already been developed and that Steve Jobs was involved in their development, saying "they preceded Tim Cook".

After Jobs passed away, it was reported that Apple had four years of product plans in the pipeline that Jobs had personally approved, matching nicely with the above claim.

iphone5.jpg
Gascón said he also spoke with the Apple representative, a government liaison named Michael Foulkes, about the possibility of a 'kill switch' in iOS devices that could permanently disable them if they were stolen. He said he was "underwhelmed" with the discussion, saying the Apple rep seems to be "trained in the art of doing a lot of talking and saying nothing."

Major U.S. carriers agreed last year to develop a database that would allow stolen mobile phones to be disabled and deny them voice and data service, but law enforcement officials would like to see phone makers on board with a similar service as well.

Article Link: San Francisco DA: Apple Told Me The Next Two iPhone Models Preceded Tim Cook

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
San Francisco district attorney George Gascón told the SF Examiner (via AppleInsider) that an Apple representative told him the next two generations of iPhones have already been developed and that Steve Jobs was involved in their development, saying "they preceded Tim Cook".

After Jobs passed away, it was reported that Apple had four years of product plans in the pipeline that Jobs had personally approved, matching nicely with the above claim.

I thought we already knew this. :confused:

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
How is this news?

Ever read Steve Jobs biography? Mentions several next generation products all in Ive's secret room.

This is the same for other companies.

Slow news day.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
A lot can change in 4 generations of tech. Unless they got something mind blowing up their sleeves they had better start doing some fresh ideas

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase
Agreed on the this is known-- you would expect a tech company to have the next few years laid out.. unless some mind blowing discovery happens

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
A lot can change in 4 generations of tech. Unless they got something mind blowing up their sleeves they had better start doing some fresh ideas

So unless they have something fresh planned, they better plan something fresh? Got it.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I thought we already knew this. :confused:

"We" didn't, and don't, know anything about Apple's product pipeline. We'd heard about it and this adds to that, which is worth noting, especially by a rumors site.

Or what? Care to elaborate?

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
How is this news?

Ever read Steve Jobs biography? Mentions several next generation products all in Ive's secret room.

This is the same for other companies.

Slow news day.

I get so tired of these kinds of responses.

It adds confirmation to something we thought we knew. Nobody REALLY knows, except Cook and Ive.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Haha, nice April Fool's joke.

I'm sure Steve knew four years in advance about the ways he would decide to change his mind, too.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
They had four years of product ideas in the pipeline as of the end of 2011? Okay; but there's a problem with letting those ideas from almost a year and a half ago continue to guide your decisions today. Mobile technology is fluid and it has changed quite a bit from the vantage point Steve had in 2011.

I suspect (hope) Apple's product roadmap until 2015 is dynamic and is not based upon what Steve knew in 2011. Otherwise, we're likely in for a disappointing next two years, folks.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
I take back any negative things I've said about Apple products in the last few years. They are all wonderful!!!!!!!! :D

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
No news that Steve was involved in future generations of Apple devices for some years to come.

What would be of interest of course how current and future generations changed in contrast to the original pipeline in face of the growing competition from Samsung and others. But of course we will never know :)

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
/Pedant mode/

Er… if "they preceded Tim Cook" they are very old phones indeed.

Tim Cook is 52, so that means the next two iPhone models would have to have been made in about 1960!

On the plus side, that would help a lot with future patent lawsuits.

(Yes, I know they probably meant 'preceded Tim Cook being CEO of Apple'). :)

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
San Francisco district attorney George Gascón told the SF Examiner (via AppleInsider) that an Apple representative told him

Am I the only one that had to read this a few times? :eek:

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
The real headline of that article is that the DA is an idiot. First, he is presumptuous, saying: "if you make nice things that could be targeted by thieves, then you have to build in a law-enforcement wishlist of features." That's silly; has he told car companies to install tracking devices in all cars? Second, his characterization of the conversation with Apple is rude and stupid. "He would just go on and on, one subject to the next. It was hard to follow. It was almost like someone who’s been trained in the art of doing a lot of talking and saying nothing." Jackass. Finally, his conspiracy theory that Apple is involved (“I think there’s just too much being made on stolen phones") is defamatory and idiotic. Time for a recall election, San Franciscans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.