Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
I am currently using an iPhone on the $30 plan. Friday, I preorder the iPhone 5. I agree to the $50 plan plus $20 per month for the phone. I then cancel the new plan when I get the phone, put in my sim card that is on the $30 plan and will just have to pay the $20 a month for the new iPhone 5, correct. This should work right?

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013
You may have to pay the remaining amount of the phone when you cancel the plan.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011

No, I have seen that if you cancel, you have the option to just pay the $20 per month until the phone is paid off. The whole balance isn't due at once.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC

according to this post, it looks like you'll have three options: buy the phone outright at the time you cancel the plan, continue to make monthly payments on the phone, or trade the phone in for "fair market credit."

the op will have to pay that first month of the $50 plan, so his net savings will be $20 over the course of two years, and his phone will be carrier-locked to t-mobile. but sure, it sounds like he'll be able to do it.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What am I missing here :confused:

The way its written the OP gets a new iPhone (paying full price) and puts it on his 30 dollars a month plan. I mean all the gyrations that's what he's doing correct?

Why not just buy the phone outright and put the 30 dollar a month sim in that new phone - seems simpler or perhaps I'm missing something.

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013
What am I missing here :confused:

The way its written the OP gets a new iPhone (paying full price) and puts it on his 30 dollars a month plan. I mean all the gyrations that's what he's doing correct?

Why not just buy the phone outright and put the 30 dollar a month sim in that new phone - seems simpler or perhaps I'm missing something.

Maybe the OP prefers not paying for the phone up front or doesn't have the money to pay the phone in full.

Having an option like that is one of the reasons why I like TMO.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Maybe the OP prefers not paying for the phone up front or doesn't have the money to pay the phone in full.

The part of the equation is missing from his post, but I agree that is one way to get a new iPhone without paying for it up front. In the end though he's still spending the same $$

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
Where did you preorder the iPhone 5? I saw only a pregister for expression of interest. I understand, the phone will be in T-mobile stores 12th April as also on Aplle's web site.

I am currently using an iPhone on the $30 plan. Friday, I preorder the iPhone 5. I agree to the $50 plan plus $20 per month for the phone. I then cancel the new plan when I get the phone, put in my sim card that is on the $30 plan and will just have to pay the $20 a month for the new iPhone 5, correct. This should work right?

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011

This is correct. I don't have the money to buy the phone outright at this time. I probably would pay it off this summer though.

----------

Where did you preorder the iPhone 5? I saw only a pregister for expression of interest. I understand, the phone will be in T-mobile stores 12th April as also on Aplle's web site.

The phone is available for preorder this Friday.

----------

the op will have to pay that first month of the $50 plan, so his net savings will be $20 over the course of two years, and his phone will be carrier-locked to t-mobile. but sure, it sounds like he'll be able to do it.

I read somewhere this morning that the iPhone 5(not sure about the 4S or 4) will be unlocked from the get go. It will be the only T-Mobile phone that is sold this way. I'll try to find a link to the article.

matthewt24

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
I was told at a TMo store that you can purchase the new iphone on the installment plan with your existing value plan, but you'll need to sign a new two-year agreement. Best of both worlds.

rnelan7

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
Boise
You won't be able to get monthly installments with a prepaid plan. I don't think that answers your question though.

Hulk Hogan: Will I be able to purchase the iPhone 5 via financing of $100 up front then $20 a month for 24 months on the $30 unlimited data, text and 100 minutes?
!Madooka I: Hi Ray. Welcome to T-Mobile Live Chat.My name is Madooka I. my rep ID is 1450965. I will be more than happy to assist you for today.
!Madooka I: I appreciate that you would like to purchase the iPhone 5. I can certainly set you the expectations bundled together for the package .
!Madooka I: Please be advised that the installment basis for the phone will just be applicable if you have a postpaid account.
Hulk Hogan: Okay so I cannot use the monthly installments on a prepaid plan?
!Madooka I: I am afraid to say that you can't.
Hulk Hogan: Can I buy the iPhone 5 for the full price then activate it on a prepaid plan?
!Madooka I: The iPhone 5 will be available online at http://www.T-Mobile.com, at T-Mobile retail stores and through select dealers and national retail stores for $99.99 down with 24 equal monthly payments of $20 for well-qualified buyers. The iPhone 4S will be available for $69.99 down with 24 equal monthly payments of $20 for well-qualified buyers O.A.C. and the iPhone 4 will be available for $14.99 down with 24 equal monthly payments of $15 for well-qualified buyers O.A.C. at select T-Mobile retail locations and on http://www.T-Mobile.com.
!Madooka I: Yes, you can.
Hulk Hogan: What is the price of the iPhone 5?
!Madooka I: As of this moment we do not have the exact amount of the phone.
Hulk Hogan: It will be available for preorder this Friday correct?
!Madooka I: But if we will compute the amount for installment and down payment that will be around $579.99.
!Madooka I: Yes, that is correct.
!Madooka I: The price that I have given to you is just a sample computation. Based on the installment amount combined together with the down payment.
Hulk Hogan: Okay, so the up front full cost can vary from that then?
!Madooka I: Yes.
Hulk Hogan: Okay, that is all the questions I have. Thank you

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
my guess

1) t-mobile prepaid market may not be allowed to access LTE (like ATT)

2) iPhone will be locked to T-mobile if you are still paying, it will unlocked once it is paid

3) using $30 plan with iPhone - I think you have to buy unlocked iPhone and use it - like now - except more 3G support from t-mobile now.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
my guess

2) iPhone will be locked to T-mobile if you are still paying, it will unlocked once it is paid

3) using $30 plan with iPhone - I think you have to buy unlocked iPhone and use it - like now - except more 3G support from t-mobile now.

1) I'm OK with that. I would rather just have T-Mobile's fast 4G speeds and only pay $30 a month instead of paying an additional $30 plus a month to add LTE.

2) I have seen online where the iPhone 5 with T-Mobile will be unlocked right out of the gate. No other T-Mobile phones will be like this.

3) I am already using the $30 plan. What I am going to do is get the iPhone and sign up for the $50 plan plus the $20 monthly for the phone. Then immediately cancel the plan and just stick the sim card from my $30 iPhone 3GS into the 5. It should work like a charm. I will then just have to pay $20 monthly for the phone until this summer when I will try to pay off the balance in 2-3 months.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
1) I'm OK with that. I would rather just have T-Mobile's fast 4G speeds and only pay $30 a month instead of paying an additional $30 plus a month to add LTE.

2) I have seen online where the iPhone 5 with T-Mobile will be unlocked right out of the gate. No other T-Mobile phones will be like this.

3) I am already using the $30 plan. What I am going to do is get the iPhone and sign up for the $50 plan plus the $20 monthly for the phone. Then immediately cancel the plan and just stick the sim card from my $30 iPhone 3GS into the 5. It should work like a charm. I will then just have to pay $20 monthly for the phone until this summer when I will try to pay off the balance in 2-3 months.

It won't be unlocked until you pay it off but that shouldn't matter since you're still planning to use it with a Tmobile plan. You'll have to keep the $50 plan for at least a month before canceling or I believe they will bill you for the entire remaining balance on the phone rather than allowing the monthly payments.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
my guess

Not true. T-mobile allows LTE over their own prepaid service. They have unified their post-paid and prepaid service plans to be exactly the same. Disabling LTE on the prepaid wouldn't make sense. Plenty of people have reported getting LTE to work on T-mobile prepaid in Las Vegas and several other cities with LTE turned on. T-mobile is trying hard to not be like AT&T so they would limit LTE especially because AT&T does.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
Not true. T-mobile allows LTE over their own prepaid service. They have unified their post-paid and prepaid service plans to be exactly the same. Disabling LTE on the prepaid wouldn't make sense. Plenty of people have reported getting LTE to work on T-mobile prepaid in Las Vegas and several other cities with LTE turned on. T-mobile is trying hard to not be like AT&T so they would limit LTE especially because AT&T does.

This is true, I'm in T-Mobile's LTE market and when I put my prepaid tmobile sim card after I did that commcenter patch on my jailbroken iPhone 5, I got LTE immediately.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!

This is true, I'm in T-Mobile's LTE market and when I put my prepaid tmobile sim card after I did that commcenter patch on my jailbroken iPhone 5, I got LTE immediately.

nice of them. but there is a difference in coverage with pre-paid and postpaid right?

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
nice of them. but there is a difference in coverage with pre-paid and postpaid right?

The only real difference is there is no roaming with prepaid. However, roaming agreements are becoming more rare. At most there are a few places where you can do voice roaming but it isn't that common in most places.

matthewt24

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
How is that the best of both worlds? He'll be relocked into a 2 year contract when T-mo is advertising that they want you to go without the contact.

I meant that you get to keep your existing (possibly cheaper if you're not on unlimited minutes) Value Plan, AND take advantage of the discounted/no interest-financed iPhone. I could care less about a contract....I'm not going anywhere with Tmo's low cost plans! I've been with them for almost 10 years!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Not necessarily. You'll want to check the fine print. Because it could say that if you are found not using one of the listed iPhone plans (which I believe start at $50) they can bump you up to the correct amount.

If they don't have such wording to screw you then you should be okay. But you would probably be better off if there's a way to just buy the iPhone without the rest of it. You're a current subscriber so there might be.

Just remember that if you are forced to sign up for a rate plan and a 'dummy' number you must activate the iPhone with that sim and that number before you cancel anything. Otherwise Apple's system flips out and won't activate the phone.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Not necessarily. You'll want to check the fine print. Because it could say that if you are found not using one of the listed iPhone plans (which I believe start at $50) they can bump you up to the correct amount.

There is no iPhone specific plans on T-mobile. T-Mobile encourages iPhone users on their prepaid plans. They certainly have no issue with iPhone users on the $30 plan.

foreverandalway

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2010
T-Mobile has stated that if you buy the iphone your locked in to their service for 1 month or you have to buy yourself out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.