Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by The Verge, Microsoft today launched version 3.0 of its SkyDrive iOS application for accessing and managing files stored in the company's cloud service.
New in version 3.0

- Updated to support iPhone 5 and iPad Mini
- Download full resolution photos to your iPhone or iPad
- Improved support for opening SkyDrive files in other iOS apps
- Improved support for uploading files to SkyDrive from other iOS apps
- Updated app icons and visuals
- Other bug fixes
Back in December, it was reported that Apple and Microsoft were at odds over SkyDrive, with Apple refusing to allow any updates to the app after Microsoft launched paid storage tiers for the service. Apple's rules require that developers offering any sort of paid content or service through their apps use the company's In App Subscription mechanism, which nets Apple 30% of revenues. Developers are also prohibited from including external sign-up links in apps to direct users to external addresses where they can purchase such plans without going through Apple.

skydrive_3_0.jpg
It is not entirely clear how Apple and Microsoft have settled their dispute over SkyDrive, but version 3.0 does not provide any external links to allow users to sign up for the SkyDrive service, simply presenting users with a sign-in page for existing accounts. Users who do not have accounts are required to manually navigate to Microsoft's SkyDrive website in order to sign up for an account with 7 GB of free storage and access options for additional paid storage.

Microsoft declined to comment to The Verge about the dispute with Apple, noting only that Apple approved the app earlier this week and that each app store has its own set of rules to satisfy.

Update: Microsoft has issued a revised statement to The Verge indicating that it has indeed resolved the issue by directing all paid storage upgrades through the SkyDrive website.
Microsoft says it "worked with Apple to create a solution that benefited our mutual customers." The company's new SkyDrive app for iOS "is slightly different than other SkyDrive apps in that people interested in buying additional storage will do so via the web versus in the app," says a Microsoft spokesperson. "Earlier this week, Apple approved the SkyDrive app for release and we're excited to allow people everywhere to start using it."

Article Link: SkyDrive 3.0 Appears in App Store Following Apple-Microsoft Conflict Over Subscription Options

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
See, Apple knows how to play nice. *AHEM* Google Search *AHEM.

Last edited:

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I am a msft fan /hides but I dont know why they would get better treatment than say dropbox. I know they were trying to work out a deal since they were going to bring office to iOS but it looks like they are no longer going to do that so it is what it is.

Weegee1

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2013
Is this as good as Dropbox? I have intense doubts because it's Microsoft, but a friend told me that it's an exception.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Are apps that bypass the usual iOS purchasing method allowed to have ANY link to their site? I would think they should allow a link as long as it didn't go directly TO a payment method, and wasn't identified AS a purchasing link. Just a "home page" or "about" link. But a quick look at my Netflix and Kindle apps makes me think even that is not allowed. I think I'd draw the line a little differently than Apple on that.

(Though I support the general principle that all untrusted purchasing should be done on the web, in the browser, and that purchasing within an app should be 100% trusted and consistent. Not "100% of the time unless a developer can convince you otherwise," but 100% of the time, enforced. A problem for developers sometimes, yes, but with a genuine benefit to users as the tradeoff.)

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." Nobody's perfect :) Not even Google, not even at search.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
What's skydrive?
Hard to detect sarcasm in this one...
SkyDrive = DropBox, Google Drive.
Same thing... different interface.

MS simply omitted the in app purchase option so Apple can't get a cut.
Smart users know to simply hit the MS website to sign up.

Is this as good as Dropbox? I have intense doubts because it's Microsoft, but a friend told me that it's an exception.

It's pretty slick.
I use all three, DropBox, SkyDrive and Google Drive.
None are really better than the other.
Slightly different features, but they essentially do the same job.

Jamieserg

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010

I use Skydrive exclusively now as it gives me the fastest uploads and the website UI is really nice.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I've used DropBox forever and have no complaints with 7GB of free storage.

Google Drive hasn't been playing well with OS X (its client, at least).

Wonder how well SkyDrive plays with Apple systems and how well the free storage holds up.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
I've used Skydrive, Dropbox and Google Drive and agree they all provide the basic features you'd need.

I have 25GB free from Skydrive so I can't complain.

Mic'sBook

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2010
Hong Kong
Every developer should follow the guidelines set by Apple for the App Store, no matter how big you are.

I couldn't find the post of one of the members here, but I agree with him/her that it could be dangerous for Apple to let one developer play another set of rules. That would be unfair to other developers.

(Should be in this thread?: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1505844/ Sorry, I've forgotten.)

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
So this is why Amazon can't offer its MP3s or Books via its apps...Sucks for everyone but Apple.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Every developer should follow the guidelines set by Apple for the App Store, no matter how big you are.

I couldn't find the post of one of the members here, but I agree with him/her that it could be dangerous for Apple to let one developer play another set of rules. That would be unfair to other developers.

(Should be in this thread?: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1505844/ Sorry, I've forgotten.)

Article update
Update: Microsoft has issued a revised statement to The Verge indicating that it has indeed resolved the issue by directing all paid storage upgrades through the SkyDrive website.
Quote:
Microsoft says it "worked with Apple to create a solution that benefited our mutual customers." The company's new SkyDrive app for iOS "is slightly different than other SkyDrive apps in that people interested in buying additional storage will do so via the web versus in the app," says a Microsoft spokesperson. "Earlier this week, Apple approved the SkyDrive app for release and we're excited to allow people everywhere to start using it."

It appears that for Apple some Developers do not have to follow the Apple 30% cut.

Seems like a bit of a desperation act on Apple's side for caving on this one.

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
If Microsoft was Google in this case, I think there'd be an entirely different outcome

I like Apple and Microsoft's relationship.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

The real irony is that the rules aren't that complicated. Hulu has had their app link free for ages. You just get a sign in screen.

Microsoft has access to the same list of rules and yet tried to ignore them, thinking because they are Microsoft they would get away with it. They were wrong and had to change their app to fit the rules.

And I say good. Apple set the rules and I'm pleased that they are applying them equally for everyone and not giving the big boys a different set of rules

solyd

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
If Microsoft was Google in this case, I think there'd be an entirely different outcome

I like Apple and Microsoft's relationship.

What are you talking about? Microsoft first tried to go around the 30% IAP rule and was rejected from the App Store. They made a big fuss about it, but Apple wouldn't budge. They've come back and are now following Apple's rules - the same rules that are followed by all other developers. Microsoft is just being an idiot.

dolph0291

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
Article update

It appears that for Apple some Developers do not have to follow the Apple 30% cut.

What do you mean? Purchasing is done outside of the app. That is the same policy as everyone else.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
So this is why Amazon can't offer its MP3s or Books via its apps...Sucks for everyone but Apple.

They CAN, the issue is they don't want to share the money so they don't.

----------

Apple did not cave. The rule is that all in app buy buttons go through iTunes and apple gets 30 %. If you don't like that there are no buy buttons or links to buying outside of the app. It's been that way for months. Microsoft tried to put in a link and it was rejected. They took it out and it was approved. In other words they caved and the statement is PR fluff

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006

If it was an exception to Microsoft's norm then it would probably be a bad product. Microsoft of late only seems to make really great products. Look at Office 2013, Outlook.com, Xbox 360, Windows 8 - all really great and reliable.

As for Skydrive, it's awesome and Microsoft introduced the automatic photo uploads to that from Windows Phone long before Apple added them to iCloud.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I have Dropbox as my main go to and I pay $99 for 100GB. I love how it works, platform independent (so if Apple wants to give Microsoft a hard time, go right ahead), and the number of iOS apps that integrate right into it.

I also pay for 25GB service for Google Drive, mostly because of my need for the GMail space as it's my main email service. Google Drive is my #2.

I have 25GB free from SkyDrive and another 20GB as a Office 2013 subscriber (free for the first year thanks to an upgrade), but I don't use it. Mostly because of their issues with iOS, the app just didn't have all the bells and whistles that Dropbox did so it was lagging behind. It's the cheapest of the 3 if you need more storage space, but I rather go with Dropbox due to all of the iOS app support.

Dropbox does need to evaluate the space for the price though. At 100GB's, it's $99, while Google charges $60 and Microsoft charges $50. Amazon just entered the scene with a similar service and app and they also charge $50 for 100GB.

Thus, it makes Dropbox 2x more expensive than the competition for basically the same service. Hopefully Dropbox's acquisitions of Audiogalaxy, Snapjoy, and Mailbox will add more value to Dropbox (and therefore justify 2x the price) before I need to renew next year or I will look at options.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
What are you talking about? Microsoft first tried to go around the 30% IAP rule and was rejected from the App Store. They made a big fuss about it, but Apple wouldn't budge. They've come back and are now following Apple's rules - the same rules that are followed by all other developers. Microsoft is just being an idiot.

Yeah, Microsoft is the first developer to try that... I'm sure some other things have past under Apple's nose before, although if probably not anything related to IAP.

For example, there are ways to hide the use of private API, although I recommend my customers to err on the safe side and not use they obfuscation methods. If they are being pig headed then I suggest to not try to hide it. I'd rather an app be refused now than being flagged as a cheater later.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Great that they fixed it but forcing devs to just make people buy stuff through their site instead of the actual app kinds gets away from the whole "it just works" aspect of ios to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.