Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter has updated its iOS app to version 5.5, adding the ability to launch and install apps from within a tweet on the iPhone. The new functionality is part of Twitter's updated Cards feature, which was introduced yesterday at a developer meetup.

Apps that support the new Card functions can be installed directly from a link within Twitter. Currently, that includes apps like Vine, Etsy, Flickr, Foursquare, Jawbone, and Path, among others. When a user tweets from one of the aforementioned third party apps, the tweet will include a link to download the app.

apptweet.png
The update also includes faster launch times and performance upgrades along with bug fixes.
Twitter for iPhone now helps you discover, install and launch your favorite apps from Tweets. This update also includes the following improvements:
-Faster launch times and general performance upgrades
-"Retweeted by" in Tweet detail is now tappable
-Fix for reply-to-self in conversations
-Fix for bug that prevented undoing retweets in some cases
Twitter for iOS is a free app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter for iOS Updated to Allow App Installs and Launches from Within Tweets

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This is the first smart move I've heard from Twitter in a long time.

It encourages developers to integrate sharing through twitter because it'll mean their existing users will easily convert their friends into new users. And by having more apps sharing on twitter, it encourages more people to log onto twitter to see what's being shared by their friends.

Developers win.
Twitter wins.
Users win.
Everyone wins?

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Unfortunetly it looks like only big wigs can use the Card app right now.

This is the first smart move I've heard from Twitter in a long time.

It encourages developers to integrate sharing through twitter because it'll mean their existing users will easily convert their friends into new users. And by having more apps sharing on twitter, it encourages more people to log onto twitter to see what's being shared by their friends.

Developers win.
Twitter wins.
Users win.
Everyone wins?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
So basically, big wigs like Path and Flickr can pay money to Twitter to make their apps launch directly from Twitter app, as well as Twitter's own offerings (e.g., Vine).

That is all nice and all, but I think that sets a dangerous precedence for smaller developers (or users of superior apps from smaller developers). And it remains to be seen if third party Twitter apps (e.g., Tweetbot) will (or will be allowed to) implement Cards.

pbt

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
Parental controls?

I removed the app store from my kid's phone so he couldn't download anything. I hope the restrictions are still in effect so that he can't add apps on the phone through twitter.

Acidsplat

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Twitter on my iPad Mini always takes another moment to load compared to my iPhone 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.