Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

duke.png
Classic shareware game Duke Nukem 2 was released for the iPhone and the iPad today, allowing the 1993 hit to be revisited by fans of the series. Duke Nukem 2 is a sidescrolling platformer, where the goal is to proceed through the level grabbing weapons and annihilating enemies.

The iOS version of the game features the 32 levels of the original, along with quick saves and online leaderboards.
-Smooth Side Scrolling Action
-Insane VGA Graphics
-256 Eye Popping Colors
-Kick A** Weapons
-Amazing Interactive Environments
-32 Action Packed Levels
-Full Touch Screen Support
-Brutal New Artwork and Music
-Save/Load, Replay and Track Your Highscores
Duke Nukem 2 can be downloaded from the App Store for $1.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Classic Platformer 'Duke Nukem 2' Hits the App Store

dmcaudio

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2010
Does anyone care?

I never thought this game was all that... especially compared to ones these days. $1.99 for a nostalgia game, no thanks.

$10 says they just used a dosbox wrapper of some kind...

max53389

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
MacRumors said:
-Insane VGA Graphics
-256 Eye Popping Colors
-Kick A** Weapons
-32 Action Packed Levels

How else was I supposed to play this game on a touch only device lol

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
$1.99 for a nostalgia game, no thanks.

T.T

The App Store has really screwed up people's ability to judge how much a game is worth. Recall when Trism was first released it was $9.99, and people said it was an amazing price?

Now people whine when a developer has the audacity to select price tier 2 (US$1.99) on iTunes Connect.

I'd say this is worth at least $4.99, but I've found many ports to iOS have crappy controls. Has anyone bought this? How are the controls? I'd rather not pay, regardless of price, until I'm reassured they're good.

dmcaudio

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2010
T.T

The App Store has really screwed up people's ability to judge how much a game is worth. Recall when Trism was first released it was $9.99, and people said it was an amazing price?

Now people whine when a developer has the audacity to select price tier 2 (US$1.99) on iTunes Connect.

I'd say this is worth at least $4.99, but I've found many ports to iOS have crappy controls. Has anyone bought this? How are the controls? I'd rather not pay, regardless of price, until I'm reassured they're good.

I have nothing against paying 10, or even 40 bucks for a good mobile app. but i do have a gripe against 2 for a game that has crappy controls, outdated graphics, and brings nothing new. It also was an extremely easy port, as the dosbox wrapper has been in circulation for a while now.

In short, I want my $2!!!

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I have nothing against paying 10, or even 40 bucks for a good mobile app. but i do have a gripe against 2 for a game that has crappy controls, outdated graphics, and brings nothing new. It also was an extremely easy port, as the dosbox wrapper has been in circulation for a while now.

Well, for $1,99 and all your expertise - you could have known before :confused:

Siri :D

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010

Doesn't that (bold) go without saying on an 'i' device?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007

Wicked Better Off Dead reference! :D

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
-Insane VGA Graphics
-256 Eye Popping Colors
-Kick A** Weapons
-32 Action Packed Levels

lol

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..

Gesture recognition via the camera? There have been demo apps that can track head movement via the iphone's camera.

Use of the volume buttons?

Power / home buttons? (possible to repurpose on a JB device)

Remote logging in from another computer via one of the many VNC apps in iTunes?

Manipulation of the magnetic field around the iphone? (ie waving a magnet near it - that's how the compass app works)

Patterns of vibrations near the iphone? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=iphone+seismometer

I can think of more but I'll stop there.

johnnyhow

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
Finally! I've been waiting for this app since 2009 (when I got my first ios device).
$2? It's nothing really, most people spend more than $2 buying some silly in app purchase.

I wish this had bluetooth keyboard support, that would make it the ultimate port. Also, not a fan of the 'wide screen' aspect on the ipad version. Please make it full screen (or near full screen) and 4:3!

chapindad

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
This is a terrible port. The controls are sluggish and it ignores the mute switch, which scared the heck out of my wife last night in bed when I turned on iPad to give it a try. Oops.

I am more disappointed that macrumors ran an article on it. I would never bought but I trusted macrumors. They need to put a header that the article is really and advertisement fur a scam, like X-ray glasses.

InterceptorEnt

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2013
Thank you very much for the great feedback!
We have been working extremely hard making sure this port becomes as good as it can get.

To "chapindad":

We're extremely sorry that you feel this is a scam.
A lot of people are enjoying the game, and we get a lot of great response.

We are already working on the first patch, based on the feedback from you guys, which includes:

- Mute bug Fixed
- Speed Increase
- Bluetooth iCade and iCade 8bitty support
- Option to hide the frame for fullscreen
- Option to add a dedicated jump button
- Improved D-Pad

Thanks for the support!

Best Regards,
Interceptor Entertainment

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
I bought it as soon as it was released, since I've played this game a lot in the early 90s, but the controls are unbearably bad - to the point of making this unplayable. Avoid for now.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Old doesn't = Classic

Just because its old doesn't make it a classic , i don't count the moldy sandwich in the back of the fridge at work as a "Classic"

A better term would be "retro" game, not "classic" game, A Classic from this era and style would be Commander Keen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.