Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Why do you say that? iMessages supports AIM accounts so if their friend on Windows want to talk to the iMessages user, the iMessages user just needs to add the AOL account in their accounts in iMessages.

So tell me why NOT.

OK. The reason why many people (like me) use iMessage is that it integrates traditional SMS and "enhanced" instant messaging into a single unified inbox on every device (Macs, iPhones, iPads).

Adding AIM into the mix breaks the unified inbox model. AIM isn't supported by iOS Messages app, it requires a separate app and a separate account.

To give you a specific example.. When I send a message to my wife - iMessage delivers it to all her devices. She gets my message on her iPhone (when she's on the go), and her PC (if she is working on her Mac). She can choose either device to respond from, and it's very convenient and seamless.

Replace her Mac with a Windows PC in the above scenario. Now my iMessage to her is delivered to her iPhone only, but not to her Windows PC. Conversely, if she adds an AIM account to her Windows PC - I now have to use AIM to send her a message rather than iMessage. And she has to install an AIM client on her iPhone to get that message on her mobile device. I may as well stop using iMessage altogether, and switch to AIM (which none of my other friends use). That is why AIM idea doesn't work.

If Windows can support native iMessage - none of this is an issue.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
That app is not written by Apple - they do not write Android Apps. I would not trust this being that the dev cannot guarantee it's operation.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
That app is not written by Apple - they do not write Android Apps. I would not trust this being that the dev cannot guarantee it's operation.

The Android iMessage app actually works.. Just tried running it on top of BlueStacks in Windows 7. Not the smoothest user experience, but it does work. Pretty impressive actually.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
iMessage is a proprietary Apple program and any third party integration is likely a scam. AIM (AOL) is good but it requires a user name for it to work. The best alternative that offers full integration into both iOS and Android is to port your number to Google Voice. Once there, you can install the Hangouts extension for Chrome which allows seamless SMS. It is the best way to get the tight integration that iOS and Mac users get on Android with any type of computer. If anyone needs more information on that I am more than happy to write a guide!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.