Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

passey

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
I've had my 21" imac a week now and was considering buying at 128GB Samsung 840 SSD.

I used to have 2 X M4's in RAID 0 on my pc so I know the speed difference.

I keep my mac in sleep mode 90% of the time so would I really see a difference with one on my mac?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I keep my mac in sleep mode 90% of the time
If you're only using your mac 10% of the time, save your money and skip the SSD.

It is faster but if you're barely using the computer, I'd say why bother

passey

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
If you're only using your mac 10% of the time, save your money and skip the SSD.

It is faster but if you're barely using the computer, I'd say why bother

thats what I was thinking i dont really shut it down and thats really the only place you really see a SSD difference as well as opening apps but thats not really slow on a mac anyway.

Might get a 2TB external HDD instead TBH create 2 partitions on it time machine and files

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
thats what I was thinking i dont really shut it down and thats really the only place you really see a SSD difference as well as opening apps but thats not really slow on a mac anyway.

Might get a 2TB external HDD instead TBH create 2 partitions on it time machine and files

Thats not true. I speeds up all disk accesses... not just during boot and application launch. Once you get used to an SSD... and you switch to a HDD based system... you will continually feel the difference.

It is true that initially... you will notice the difference in boot and application times the most. But trust me... the speed difference is continually there for any disk I/O.

/Jim

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thats not true. I speeds up all disk accesses.
Agreed, I only posted that the SSD is not needed because the OP's post seemed to indicate that the machine is asleep 90% of the time. If he meant he puts it to sleep most of the time instead of shutting it down, well then that's different.

If he's using the computer a lot the SSD will have its benefits.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Agreed, I only posted that the SSD is not needed because the OP's post seemed to indicate that the machine is asleep 90% of the time. If he meant he puts it to sleep most of the time instead of shutting it down, well then that's different.

If he's using the computer a lot the SSD will have its benefits.

I agree with your recommendation. He probably does not need an SSD. I was just correcting the misconception that SSDs just speed up boot and application launch.

/Jim

passey

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
I've just swapped from a pc with RAID 0 SSD's and tbh the mac opens most files pretty quickly with the 5000rpm HDD.

I meant i put it to sleep instead of shutting down 90% of the time.

I doubt that A couple of seconds opening photoshop is worth the cost of thunderbolt adapter and SSD.

passey

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
If I was going to get a ssd

1) would a 120gb ssd be enough boot camp will be on other hdd.
2) I'm not paying for a thunderbolt adapter £100 is way too much. What's the best USB 3.0 to sata cable / enclosure to use?

passey

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
Went and ordered a Samsung 840 as the have cash back on them ATM.

240gb and ordered a thermal take enclosure usb 3.0 to go with it

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Wait, you have fusion drive and you want to swapt it with a 128 SSD?? i guess not..i am thinking that you have the normal 5400rpm 1T.

kapalua12

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
United States
Went and ordered a Samsung 840 as the have cash back on them ATM.

240gb and ordered a thermal take enclosure usb 3.0 to go with it

Where are they giving cash back on Samsung 840 SSDs?

----------

Does anyone know which specific (brand and model) SSDs LaCie is using in their Little Big Disk SSD 1 TB Thunderbolt drives for $999?

Drharrington

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
Cheap upgrade relative to the performance .... You can buy them for like 120 bucks? Maybe 50 bucks for a kit to throw it in... Create a DIY fusion drive...
Hello... No brainer... IMHO...

No wait... Consistent with most posts on the board -- buy a new one... your tech is six months old... ha...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.