Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kvarob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2013
I am considering this Macbook Air. It does have a small dent, as shown and describe by the poster, and I know there used to be some general hinge issues with the Macbook Air, so I was wondering what you thought of the state of it based on the pictures:

http://szamitastechnika.vatera.hu/la...728706253.html

Does this macbook air seem all right to you? (Click the picture and the word on the right for next). The person is asking for 659 EUR / $852 USD (my conversion via Google from the local currency). It is a mid-2011 11 inch Macbook Air with the following specs:

1,6Ghz Intel Core i5,
4 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3,
Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB,
128GB SSD disk

what do you think? How does it look? Will I have problems with it?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Definitely not worth it. You can get a June 2012 refurb from Apple for $849.

ecLkVvX.png

kvarob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2013

Thanks for that link. What do you think would be a fair price to offer for the linked piece?

It has not been sold yet so seller may be open to a negotiation...

Also, how much do you think I can get a core2 11 inch one for? I was reasoning that the graphics card on that one was ever so slightly better, which might help with video.

I absolutely don't do anything CPU intensive, but might watch dvd's, which would be gpu intensive. other than that it's email and word processing...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for that link. What do you think would be a fair price to offer for the linked piece?

It has not been sold yet so seller may be open to a negotiation...

Also, how much do you think I can get a core2 11 inch one for? I was reasoning that the graphics card on that one was ever so slightly better, which might help with video.

I absolutely don't do anything CPU intensive, but might watch dvd's, which would be gpu intensive. other than that it's email and word processing...

I would look for recently ended eBay auctions for a similar machine, then deduct another hundred or so for the dent.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I have a mint one I'm selling on eBay - it should fetch somewhere in the £550 to £600 mark. It's perfect and boxed and exactly the same spec as this one. So I'd say that €659 is a bit on the high side for one with damage.

BlueHusky

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2013
Washington DC
Honestly the 2011 macbook air sucks.. The battery life is horrible probably half the battery life of 2012. and 70% of the battery life of 2010.

I say you should just get the 2012 air a lot of sales on the refurbs.

2012 air is a very solid computer.

kvarob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2013
Honestly the 2011 macbook air sucks.. The battery life is horrible probably half the battery life of 2012. and 70% of the battery life of 2010.

Thanks a lot for this input.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
New MBP's & MBA's come with dents right out of the box. It's Apples half assed quality control. Once before the iDevices became all Apple cared about, each year I would receive a new Apple laptop that looked new right out of the box.

Just yesterday I used "Apples Personal Pickup" at my local Store to take delivery of my BTO fully optioned $3,400 MBPr. As one with a lot of experience with new Apple products I asked the sales rep to watch me open its sealed package.

It's a good thing I did.

The look on his face was priceless as he gazed in disbelief at the four large dents surrounding the lighted Apple logo on the cover. Immediately calling the manager over, his expressionless face revealed he was not surprised. As customers gathered to see what was going on there was lots of whispering & gasps of shock at what they were witnessing.

Me? I simply stood back silently observing the show. For this was the third in three years... a batting average even cheap plastic Dells most likely cant match.

Yep, it just works :eek:

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012

Is this true? I have the late 2010 11" (the first rev of the unibody models) and i think the battery life even to this day is great. The damn thing works so well even 2 1/2 years out that each time ive given thought to replacing it, i can't find any justifiable reason. Hell i even dropped it off the couch once and it bounced and the corner landed on tile and there is a small dent in the corner now but it chugs along like nothing happened to it.

BlueHusky

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2013
Washington DC
Is this true? I have the late 2010 11" (the first rev of the unibody models) and i think the battery life even to this day is great. The damn thing works so well even 2 1/2 years out that each time ive given thought to replacing it, i can't find any justifiable reason. Hell i even dropped it off the couch once and it bounced and the corner landed on tile and there is a small dent in the corner now but it chugs along like nothing happened to it.

Well from my experienced its what I got. I usual replace my laptops once a year.

I had the 2010, 2011, 2012 macbook air.. and when I moved up from a 2010 to a 2011 macbook air, the battery life just killed me..

You should try the 2012 macbook air, the battery life is so amazing. last you a very long time.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

Have to compare apples and apples (punt intended). :) At his locale he may not be able to get it at the U.S. price. I hear killer tax in the E.U.

----------

The battery life is horrible probably half the battery life of 2012.

This is what is called anecdotal evidence.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
I've owned numerous macs and my 2011 MBA is my favorite computer I've ever had, battery life is ~6.5 hours on wifi. Care to share references with your battery life ratings? :rolleyes:

thats better than my 2012, i get 4-5

BlueHusky

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2013
Washington DC
I've owned numerous macs and my 2011 MBA is my favorite computer I've ever had, battery life is ~6.5 hours on wifi. Care to share references with your battery life ratings? :rolleyes:

Owned macbook air 2010 2011 2012 as my main for about a year on each... of all of them the battery life of the 2011 was the worse. The 2011 batter is probably 80% of what the 2010 air battery can hold and about 65% of what the 2012 battery hold. The 2012 battery is so amazing. Of course this is all my experiences, I dont change the way I use the comp.

If you can get 6-7 hours on the 2011?? you could probably get like 8-9 on the air.. I could only get like 3 hours MAX on the 2011.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Have to compare apples and apples (punt intended). :) At his locale he may not be able to get it at the U.S. price. I hear killer tax in the E.U.

----------

This is what is called anecdotal evidence.

So what do you have to offer the OP?

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
It is, but simply pointing out that it's anecdotal doesn't invalidate it.

Yes, it does. A sample size of 1 does not allow you to make a statement about an entire year's worth of a certain model of machine. It would be valid for the poster to say "my machine's battery sucked", but not "the 2011 Air's battery sucked".

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Yes, it does. A sample size of 1 does not allow you to make a statement about an entire year's worth of a certain model of machine. It would be valid for the poster to say "my machine's battery sucked", but not "the 2011 Air's battery sucked".

A sample size of 1 is more than a sample size of 0

And THIS Anandtech review backs that up.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
A sample size of 1 is more than a sample size of 0

And THIS Anandtech review backs that up.

Yes, a sample size of 0 would even less interesting than a sample size of 1, but not by much. Did you even read your link?

"The new Air models retain the same battery capacities as their predecessors: 35Wh for the 11 and 50Wh for the 13. It wasn't too long ago that the 15-inch MacBook Pro only had a 50Wh battery so this new 13-inch MacBook Air should be a good upgrade for users of older MacBook Pros even from a battery life standpoint."

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Yes, a sample size of 0 would even less interesting than a sample size of 1, but not by much. Did you even read your link?

"The new Air models retain the same battery capacities as their predecessors: 35Wh for the 11 and 50Wh for the 13. It wasn't too long ago that the 15-inch MacBook Pro only had a 50Wh battery so this new 13-inch MacBook Air should be a good upgrade for users of older MacBook Pros even from a battery life standpoint."

Did you read the thread? You'd have a good point if anything you said was relavent.

We are discussing battery life of the 2011 model vs 2010, not capacities compared to an older pro and this anecdotal sample size of 1 has been confirmed by a reputable reviewer.

While the new Air still delivers a respectable 6.9 hours of battery life in our lightest test, it's no where near what last year's model provided. If you're used to using your Air as a glorified typewriter, expect less battery life with the new model.

I'm not entirely sure why the 2010 13-inch MacBook Air did so well in our test. It lasted more than 60% longer than the 11-inch Air despite only having a 42% increase in battery capacity. There was something unique about that model that has since been lost.

The new 11 also loses out in the battery life department, but the drop isn't nearly as significant. The new 11 dies about 10% faster than last year's model in this test.

I should add that these results do generally support Apple's battery life claims for the MacBook Air. Apple lists the 13 as having up to 7 hours of battery life and the 11 with up to 5 hours.

In heavier loads it evens out a bit, but if you're doing basic browsing, office apps, its not nearly as good in terms of run times.

nebrot

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
北京 (Beijing)
Did you read the thread? You'd have a good point if anything you said was relavent.

We are discussing battery life of the 2011 model vs 2010, not capacities compared to an older pro and this anecdotal sample size of 1 has been confirmed by a reputable reviewer.

In heavier loads it evens out a bit, but if you're doing basic browsing, office apps, its not nearly as good in terms of run times.

Hi, you can´t compare it this way today as this was the early Lion version and meanwhile 10.7.5 has changed quite a lot. That time they compared the last Snow Leopard version with the early Lion. I own a 2011 i7 which is said to have poor battery life. It can last between 6-7 hours of browsing for me with the screen brightness at 45% (one dot below half) Sure, the 2011 comes with less battery life than the 2010, but it also performs much better than the 2010, it is definately not that poor. The early Lion version made my fan spin quite a lot, that has changed and with it the battery improved. The link you refer to does not take this into consideration. And the 2011 Air was produced on 32nm technology, the 2012 Air however is a new processor generation on 22nm technology, has improved power and less battery consumption e.g. better battery life. Most likely the new 2013 chip generation will have more power and better battery life again, therefore the 2012 Air doesn´t have to be poor in battery life... This is the technological development.

Last edited:

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
The review clearly takes performance into consideration. In addition to battery life tests there are performance benchmarks too. No one said its not faster, that's not really am excuse because the 2012 is faster still with better battery life. They can indeed be compared.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
The review clearly takes performance into consideration. In addition to battery life tests there are performance benchmarks too. No one said its not faster, that's not really am excuse because the 2012 is faster still with better battery life. They can indeed be compared.

Newer will almost always be faster and have better battery life. That does not mean the previous entire model year "sucked". This is a very basic concept, and one which you seem to be having an issue grasping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.