Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

bestbuy.jpg
Best Buy has slashed pricing on third-generation iPad models by thirty percent, bringing the price down to $315 for the 16GB Wi-Fi models. Comparable refurbished units are available for $379 directly from Apple.

However, the iPads are only available via in-store pickup and it appears that selection varies widely between stores.

Potential purchasers can check availability for individual models at their local Best Buy locations and reserve them for in-store pickup on the website.

The current fourth-generation iPad was a modest upgrade from the third-generation that Best Buy has discounted. The older model has a slower A5X processor, uses the 30-pin connector rather than Lightning, and has slower Wi-Fi capabilities.

Article Link: Best Buy Cuts Prices on iPad 3 Models by 30 Percent, U.S. In-Store Pickup Only

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I wanted one in 32GB or 64GB with either Wifi only or on Verizon and none were anywhere to be found in any Best Buy in my state. No big deal, but I would have picked one up to replace our Original iPad.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Are any of these actually in-stock anywhere? I checked IL/IN/OH, not seeing any with stock.

I did find a couple in 16GB and on ATT, but I had to use the instore Open items and/or Clearance. None showed on the page the article linked to.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Sounds pretty tempting... I have to remind myself that I have no use for one given I already have an MBA and an iPhone; I'd get limited new value out of one...

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Sounds pretty tempting... I have to remind myself that I have no use for one given I already have an MBA and an iPhone; I'd get limited new value out of one...

At this price, you should definitely consider it. iPads are much better at doing most stuff than iPhone, and there are things that you just can't get out of a MBA(gaming, ebooks, movies...). I have both the MBA and iPad and both are used frequently.:D

pauliaK

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Banff, AB
At this price, you should definitely consider it. iPads are much better at doing most stuff than iPhone, and there are things that you just can't get out of a MBA(gaming, ebooks, movies...). I have both the MBA and iPad and both are used frequently.:D
I have all three of them as well and my iPad is the most beloved device which gets to be used the most. Then its the iPhone, primarily because I have it with me 24/7 and then it's my mba which gets less and less usage every day or should I say week, because I don't even use it every day anymore thanks to my ipad.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I have all three of them as well and my iPad is the most beloved device which gets to be used the most. Then its the iPhone, primarily because I have it with me 24/7 and then it's my mba which gets less and less usage every day or should I say week, because I don't even use it every day anymore thanks to my ipad.

It really depends on your usage. I had an iPad but sold it because I used my rMBP a lot more. I type a lot, I download a lot, and I run emulators. None of those are pleasant to do on the iPad. If you're primarily reading or watching video, it's perfect.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
The upgrade from the iPad 3 to 4 isn't modest at all. The looks are the same, but the speed is more than twice as fast. That means the iPad 4 is going to have a lot longer useful life than an iPad 3 will.

jmw1480

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Price Matched at Target

I spent a good bit of time looking for a 3rd gen at Best Buy online yesterday when I got wind of the discounted prices. As has been mentioned, I couldn't find a single model available at anystore anywhere (even called the Clearance Customer Service to confirm: in-store pick up only, and the customer was responsible for finding one in stock).

However, I did find a very small selection of 3rd gens with limited availability at some Target stores, including the one closest to my house. I was able to get the 32GB wi-fi only in white (they had a couple left in black as well), price matched with the Best Buy print-out from the web site down to $384.99 (Target had it listed at $449.99), plus 5% off for using a Target RedCard. I think that's even a little better deal than Target was offering back in early Feb (although they marked their 16GB models down to $299 then, but, again, it was impossible to find one in stock, and it had to be picked up in-store/no online orders as well).

So there's another opportunity if you can find one in stock and have it priced matched; there aren't many 3's left anywhere these days. I also have a 4, which I agree is noticably faster on both wi-fi and in pure processing (especially with Maps), but the 3 is still beautiful and fast compared to the 2, and perfect for kids or spouses that aren't as picky to have the latest/greatest. At these prices, it's a steal of a deal. Happy hunting!

Last edited:

jmw1480

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
The upgrade from the iPad 3 to 4 isn't modest at all. The looks are the same, but the speed is more than twice as fast. That means the iPad 4 is going to have a lot longer useful life than an iPad 3 will.

I agree with the first part, but not sure it'll mean any more "usefulness" per se (it wasn't a generational/revolutionary jump, just an evolutionary one).

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012

But you have to admit the 3 is still more than sufficient (at least for now).

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
To think that I spent $500 on one just 9 months ago.

----------

It's not like the iPad 3 is slow or anything. It still runs all the latest and greatest apps just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.