Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaronMunchause

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2013
Hey guys,

I recently had an experience with a set of Apple interviews for a retail store in the UK. I didn't make it in but that's cool, met some great new friends anyhow. I have to say that the whole thing was an eye-opener and quite frankly a downright mess. I have many complaints about the whole process, which I believe is justified. Was wondering, is there any way I can make a complaint about the way this was carried out?

Apple don't seem to make it easy in locating a complaints address (email or letter) or procedure for anything similar, on their website.

By all means, if you would like me to go into what my complaints are then I would be happy to write them all out although I did sign something and wonder if I would get in trouble for it! It doesn't involve anything they spoke about or presented, just the way it was carried out.

Appreciate any help.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
I'd love to know what the specific complaints about the proces are.

If I was to complain, I'd probably do so by writing to the manager of the store I interviewed at. I would imagine any complaints would probably just be fowarded to him/her anyway.

BaronMunchause

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2013
I don't think the store manager would be the correct person to go to. I was hoping someone above that position or above recruitment.

Just to summarise some of the issues.

1. 2nd interview was attended by myself and two others. One of which was told that they could skip the 1st interview when they could not make it. Why? No idea, considering they had no connections to the company or relevant experience/qualifications. Not really fair on people who attended the first set of interviews.

2. 2nd interview required preparation work and research of specific Apple services. None of this used at the interview. That was a waste of my hours and a chance to show abilities and knowledge.

3. 3rd interview required the same as 2. None of which was carried out again. Another missed opportunity for me to present myself.

4. 3rd interview was the first and only chance I actually met the store manager in a group of a dozen. Two dozen people in total over two slots. No 'one to one' with the managers, who make the final decision. 2nd interview contained this but not with the people who have the final say. And this was the final interview for the positions.

5. Store manager let slip that the positions available were not actually the ones I had applied for, or advertised. Did this leave me in a worse position?

6. Was told that there were other qualified applicants that met the position requirements, when I was told that qualifications were irrelevant. If I knew what was required when I asked this question at the 1st stage, I would of changed my application.

I got the impression that the position was picked prior to the 3rd (final) interview due to the reaction and general interaction of the store managers. They seemed to be less engaged than any other Apple employee there and to possibly add to that claim, I know of someone who was a previous employee and reapplied a couple of months ago. They went through the same procedure but only had 2 stages of interviews and was given the job without the need for a 3rd. Understandable, unless you were one of the people who actually attended the 3rd stage, applying for that role.

I have a few more to add but this gives you a general idea.

If you think I am being petty then please do let me know. Sometimes it is hard to see ones actions from within!

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
I don't think the store manager would be the correct person to go to. I was hoping someone above that position or above recruitment.

Just to summarise some of the issues.

1. 2nd interview was attended by myself and two others. One of which was told that they could skip the 1st interview when they could not make it. Why? No idea, considering they had no connections to the company or relevant experience/qualifications. Not really fair on people who attended the first set of interviews.

2. 2nd interview required preparation work and research of specific Apple services. None of this used at the interview. That was a waste of my hours and a chance to show abilities and knowledge.

3. 3rd interview required the same as 2. None of which was carried out again. Another missed opportunity for me to present myself.

4. 3rd interview was the first and only chance I actually met the store manager in a group of a dozen. Two dozen people in total over two slots. No 'one to one' with the managers, who make the final decision. 2nd interview contained this but not with the people who have the final say. And this was the final interview for the positions.

5. Store manager let slip that the positions available were not actually the ones I had applied for, or advertised. Did this leave me in a worse position?

6. Was told that there were other qualified applicants that met the position requirements, when I was told that qualifications were irrelevant. If I knew what was required when I asked this question at the 1st stage, I would of changed my application.

I got the impression that the position was picked prior to the 3rd (final) interview due to the reaction and general interaction of the store managers. They seemed to be less engaged than any other Apple employee there and to possibly add to that claim, I know of someone who was a previous employee and reapplied a couple of months ago. They went through the same procedure but only had 2 stages of interviews and was given the job without the need for a 3rd. Understandable, unless you were one of the people who actually attended the 3rd stage, applying for that role.

I have a few more to add but this gives you a general idea.

If you think I am being petty then please do let me know. Sometimes it is hard to see ones actions from within!

I can get your frustration.

To your first point, why someone else was allowed to skip an initial interview is honestly non of your business. They may have had qualifications or experience that made them an obvious candidate for them, or just that they really wanted to interview them and were not going to miss that chance because of a preliminary interview. So I wouldn't worry about that one at all.

to the 2nd and 3rd point, I can definiltey see how that would be annoying. Honestly, I would probably write to the manager and express gratitude for the opportunity, but also disappointment that you were not asked to showcase your knowledge and abilities in the aspects you were asked to prepare for. I would then state that if any other opportunities arise, to please let you know and that you will also be keeping an eye out. \

4th point - I don't see the problem. If thats how the manager wants to do it, then that's their perogative. You might not agree with it, but ultimately its the managers issue if its not an effective way to interview. He/she might be relying on the judgement of other team members. This is actually pretty common. I took part in a panel interview for a pretty higih level position in my company, and it was the final interview. This was because the hiring manager wanted the perspective of many different people to see how they would fit into the corporate culture.

5th - very annoying. Interview might have been scheduled and then the position filled, or it was filled, but they still liked your application for a different position. Woudl have been nice to have them tell you from the get go though.

6th - this is again worrying about other people and what they might have been dealing with. It doesn't have anything to do with you personally. Every position has requirements and qualifications. Those might be very formal, or they may not be. Even if they told you qualifications were irrelevent, they are still going to be more likely to pick someone with a proven track record of fulfilling the job requirements. So while not required, qualifications always help.

So I can udnerstand your frustration, and I do see some areas where you have a right to be legitmately annoyed.

But, ask yoruself this, why do you want to complain? is it to vent? is it to fix the process? If its to vent, then have at it, but don't expect it to go very far. I didn't see anything in what you wrote that seems likely to change or be viewed as a huge issue, and I'm sure the manager has a different perspective on them if he was asked. You will also probably make it impossible to get a job there in the future if you were so inclined.

If its to change the process, then finding a contact at the corporate level for the retail stores would be appropriate. However, it wouldn't surprise me if its barely reviewed and just forwarded onto the store manager anyway. That doesn't mean its not worth doing though. It might shed some light on some of the deficiencies. they may appreciate the feedback. If you do this, be gracious and offer it as constructive criticism, rather than a complaint.

If your purpose is to ask for clarification and see what you might change for the future and keep open the possibility of getting a job there, then a gratious letter explaining that you apprecaite the opportunity and that you felt like you were well prepared, but not given the opportunity to show that in an interview, and to keep you in mind for future opportunities would be the best course of action.

Just my 2 cents.

BaronMunchause

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2013
I can get your frustration.

To your first point, why someone else was allowed to skip an initial interview is honestly non of your business. They may have had qualifications or experience that made them an obvious candidate for them, or just that they really wanted to interview them and were not going to miss that chance because of a preliminary interview. So I wouldn't worry about that one at all.

to the 2nd and 3rd point, I can definiltey see how that would be annoying. Honestly, I would probably write to the manager and express gratitude for the opportunity, but also disappointment that you were not asked to showcase your knowledge and abilities in the aspects you were asked to prepare for. I would then state that if any other opportunities arise, to please let you know and that you will also be keeping an eye out. \

4th point - I don't see the problem. If thats how the manager wants to do it, then that's their perogative. You might not agree with it, but ultimately its the managers issue if its not an effective way to interview. He/she might be relying on the judgement of other team members. This is actually pretty common. I took part in a panel interview for a pretty higih level position in my company, and it was the final interview. This was because the hiring manager wanted the perspective of many different people to see how they would fit into the corporate culture.

5th - very annoying. Interview might have been scheduled and then the position filled, or it was filled, but they still liked your application for a different position. Woudl have been nice to have them tell you from the get go though.

6th - this is again worrying about other people and what they might have been dealing with. It doesn't have anything to do with you personally. Every position has requirements and qualifications. Those might be very formal, or they may not be. Even if they told you qualifications were irrelevent, they are still going to be more likely to pick someone with a proven track record of fulfilling the job requirements. So while not required, qualifications always help.

So I can udnerstand your frustration, and I do see some areas where you have a right to be legitmately annoyed.

But, ask yoruself this, why do you want to complain? is it to vent? is it to fix the process? If its to vent, then have at it, but don't expect it to go very far. I didn't see anything in what you wrote that seems likely to change or be viewed as a huge issue, and I'm sure the manager has a different perspective on them if he was asked. You will also probably make it impossible to get a job there in the future if you were so inclined.

If its to change the process, then finding a contact at the corporate level for the retail stores would be appropriate. However, it wouldn't surprise me if its barely reviewed and just forwarded onto the store manager anyway. That doesn't mean its not worth doing though. It might shed some light on some of the deficiencies. they may appreciate the feedback. If you do this, be gracious and offer it as constructive criticism, rather than a complaint.

If your purpose is to ask for clarification and see what you might change for the future and keep open the possibility of getting a job there, then a gratious letter explaining that you apprecaite the opportunity and that you felt like you were well prepared, but not given the opportunity to show that in an interview, and to keep you in mind for future opportunities would be the best course of action.

Just my 2 cents.

Fantastic reply and exactly what I was looking for. My initial view of complaining was to fix the process as I thought many aspects appeared illogical. I will apply again in future, even if my complaint would do harm towards any future applications. I would just like to feel that I would, along with others, have a fair chance and will be given the opportunity to present ourselves by the tasks required (but in this case, were never carried out).

Again, thank you for the reply.

----------

I saw your username, and I don't believe one word. :D

Dennis should have you on a leash! :D

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I'd like to point out that complaining at either a store level or corporate level do nothing. Each store, and to an extent, each individual market have different ways of interviewing. I know friends who got hired at different apple stores and each interview process was different.

One friend had only a phone interview and one in person interview with the manager and they got hired. The other, who applied at a different store, had to go through two phone interviews and two in person interviews before they got hired.

In both cases, however, neither were asked to show any product knowledge or history about Apple. It was all merely about personality and if they fit the mold of an Apple store.

It is extremely easy to come prepared for an interview. However, the best interviews are usually those that throw curveballs and require you to adapt and think quickly. Apple interviews have a tendency to go in every direction to test the person.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Apple Retail Stores only hire people that they need. Unfortunately, their needs tend to change from time to time. So even if you didn't make the cut this time around I strongly suggest you try applying again. Don't give up. If you have a passion for their products and helping people then they will call you in again.

----------

l 'll follow this post because l have 2nd interview , has anybody give a clue for me ? :D:D

Although product knowledge is important, it isn't everything. When they say they want to get to know you, they mean it. Don't force yourself into being someone your not but you should also be able to make a connection with the interviewer/recruiter.

LionKhan

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2013
Turkey (Istanbul)
Apple Retail Stores only hire people that they need. Unfortunately, their needs tend to change from time to time. So even if you didn't make the cut this time around I strongly suggest you try applying again. Don't give up. If you have a passion for their products and helping people then they will call you in again.

----------

Although product knowledge is important, it isn't everything. When they say they want to get to know you, they mean it. Don't force yourself into being someone your not but you should also be able to make a connection with the interviewer/recruiter.

Hi dear friend... l'm from Turkey and Apple Store 'll open at least 3 Apple Store in Turkey / ISTANBUL...

I'm still vvorking Apple Premium Reseller and l have a lot of Apple product (lik iPhone 5S / 4S / iPad 3 / MacBook Pro Retine 15'' ) and my social aspect is very cool :D l'm university student and l can speak English lf l'm not wrong :D :D

According to l believe that ; this qualifications are enough .Apple Retail Store Turkey Recruit team will hire me...

l was very active ( social ) at first interview .:D

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
It's about who you know, not what you know.

Or for some people, it's who you blow, not who you know.

Keep grinding playa.

emseven

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
You dodged a bullet. Avoid Apple retail, not worth the discount.

Your frustration would have grown on a weekly basis because all aspects are much like the hiring process. Ultimately it is your social qualities alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.