Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
I need an answer from some of you Handbrake, AppleTV3, Itunes GODS.
I am almost done digitizing my entire movie library and have only two dozen or so Blu-ray movies to go before I am done. These two dozen movies are Blu-ray only with no digital copy, no DVD, no nothing, just the movie in Blu-ray form. Now I know that AppleTV3 only supports 30fps but the Blu-ray standard is 24fps (24P). So, if I encode these Blu-ray movies into MP4 using handbrake with the AppleTV3 preset, and 30fps, will this mess up the cadence of the film? I mean can Handbrake compensate the file to play smooth on my TV while using AppleTV3? I think I read someplace that Handbrake changes some settings when encoding 24P content to 30fps files, but I am not sure what they are talking about.

Or should I just encode the Blu-ray’s with MKV, buy a small media player that actually plays 24P content, and be done with it?

I am just trying to get the best video/audio quality from a digitized source.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I am just trying to get the best video/audio quality from a digitized source.

I have to ask if you really mean what you said. If you truly want the BEST video/audio, then there is a simple answer: Just rip your Blu Ray with MakeMKV to MKV. This simply moves the content into a different container and leaves it identical to the original in quality.

The reason that I ask this is very few people want to do this because the storage requirements will be humongous. If you have several multi-terabite drives sitting around then you should go with MKV. But my experience is that for real world performance you would be wasting much space.

I don't usually use the AppleTV preset for my Blu ray movies, I use the High Profile (because I don't have an AppleTV). However, I believe that in terms of size and quality they produce very similar results. So, I can't speak to how smoothly they will play on the AppleTV, but here is what I would do if I were you.

Rip a movie you know well using the AppleTV preset and then do an a/b/x test (have someone put one or the other on your TV while you are out of the room and then come in and try to guess which one it is). Have them not just do one and then the other, do it like six times and ask them to randomly switch, so you won't know if you get two of the same in a row. My guess is that unless you get really close to the source you will not be able to tell the difference between the two. And if you can, it will demonstrate just how much difference their is, and you will know if it acceptable. For me, it is not really noticeable, and I would rather save on all that disk space.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I pretty much agree with Nunya. Storage is cheap; you can get a 3TB USB3 external drive for about $150-ish. Extracting the main file from a BR disc creates a 30-40GB file, allowing for about 75 movies in a 3TB drive. I will then use Handbrake on an as-needed basis to encode a smaller file (2-3GB) for iPad use on the road, but you can certainly access the source files easily for home media player use.

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
I have to ask if you really mean what you said. If you truly want the BEST video/audio, then there is a simple answer: Just rip your Blu Ray with MakeMKV to MKV. This simply moves the content into a different container and leaves it identical to the original in quality.

The reason that I ask this is very few people want to do this because the storage requirements will be humongous. If you have several multi-terabite drives sitting around then you should go with MKV. But my experience is that for real world performance you would be wasting much space.

I don't usually use the AppleTV preset for my Blu ray movies, I use the High Profile (because I don't have an AppleTV). However, I believe that in terms of size and quality they produce very similar results. So, I can't speak to how smoothly they will play on the AppleTV, but here is what I would do if I were you.

Rip a movie you know well using the AppleTV preset and then do an a/b/x test (have someone put one or the other on your TV while you are out of the room and then come in and try to guess which one it is). Have them not just do one and then the other, do it like six times and ask them to randomly switch, so you won't know if you get two of the same in a row. My guess is that unless you get really close to the source you will not be able to tell the difference between the two. And if you can, it will demonstrate just how much difference their is, and you will know if it acceptable. For me, it is not really noticeable, and I would rather save on all that disk space.

I am trying to stay within the confines of my Apple ecosystem. I tried to rip a BLu-ray with the AppleTV3 setting and 30fps, but I got video with a lot of jitter. I was wanting to know if there is any settings in Handbrake that I can change to compensate for the change in cadence.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I am trying to stay within the confines of my Apple ecosystem. I tried to rip a BLu-ray with the AppleTV3 setting and 30fps, but I got video with a lot of jitter. I was wanting to know if there is any settings in Handbrake that I can change to compensate for the change in cadence.

Again, since I don't have an AppleTV I can't be totally certain, but I think that it will play back content "up to" 30 fps. You should try selecting the AppleTV 3 preset and then go to the Framerate setting and set it to "Same as Source" and verify that it works. You can encode a single chapter and test it, but I'm pretty sure it works. I know other people who use the high profile settings for their AppleTV and it defaults to "Same as source."

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
aTV3 preset is set to same as source, with a maximum framerate of 30fps.

andymodem

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Just use the ATV3 preset and enjoy your digital copies. It's not worth stressing over. Hopefully Apple updates the ATV to allow 24p output in the future. :)

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Always rip closest to the original movie. 24p in this case. 24p on a 60hz screen looks horrible. And the Apple TV is a crap gadget that will be a brick in 3 years. If you collect movies, you want them probably longer than 3 years, and by then lots of other playback hardware is available. 24fps MKV's is it. When Apple does not support that, use another tool to play them.

And judder is first of all determined by the SCREEN, not the media player. What is your TV/Beamer/Monitor capable off?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.