Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes.jpg
Apple is close to signing a deal with both Warner Music and Universal Music Group for its rumored streaming music service, reports CNET.

Content negotiations between Apple and record companies were said to have stagnated because the Cupertino-based company was offering low royalty rates, but CNET's sources say that Apple's music service will bring alternate revenue streams in addition to unique features that are not offered by other streaming music services.
That includes a quick way for consumers to buy a song they hear, potentially boosting download sales from iTunes, as well as a revenue share of new audio ads Apple is planning to add to the free service, according to sources.

The product would be tied to iTunes, and available on mobile devices.

The service, according to sources, most closely resembles Pandora because it doesn't offer on-demand listening. Apple is building some unique features, such as the ability to jump back to the beginning of a song, according to one person briefed on the company's plans.
Though Apple is approaching deals with Warner Music and Universal Music Group, the sources caution that the negotiations are not final and could fall through. Apple also needs to work out a deal with Sony Music Group, but is continuing to aim for a summer launch, as was suggested last week.

If Apple is able to complete the negotiations in time, its annual Worldwide Developers Conference could be an ideal occasion to announce the new streaming music service. WWDC dates have yet to be announced, but the conference typically takes place in June.

Article Link: Apple Close to Striking Deal with Record Labels for iRadio

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
The only people I see using this are fanboys. Everyone already uses either Pandora, Spotify or SiriusXM. Apple shouldn't make this move. Against it. Also, Apple will find some way to ruin it anyways.

Aug 26, 2008
Isn't Pandora losing favor because it doesn't let you pick what to listen to? Not only does Spotify have a radio feature, it works everywhere, on everything, AND you can listen to albums/playlists if you desire.

So this will only work on Apple products, and give you no choice over what to listen to? If true, major major pass.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
No on demand streaming? No dice for me. I'll stick with Spotify :)

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
The only way to compete against Pandora and Spotify is to 1) have ad-less radio (or non-audio ads) and/or 2) make on-demand listening for free.

Neither of these are coming true (and I would prefer the latter option), so good luck with that Apple!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The only people I see using this are fanboys. Everyone already uses either Pandora, Spotify or SiriusXM. Apple shouldn't make this move. Against it. Also, Apple will find some way to ruin it anyways.

Of course when Google releases something it will be declared the greatest thing since sliced bread. :rolleyes:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Of course when Google releases something it will be declared the greatest thing since sliced bread. :rolleyes:

Look at what they start. I'm not being biased or anything but they start niches. Google's Project Glass for example.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The only way to compete against Pandora and Spotify is to 1) have ad-less radio (or non-audio ads) and/or 2) make on-demand listening for free.

Neither of these are coming true (and I would prefer the latter option), so good luck with that Apple!

How exactly could you do free on-demand listening? How would the record companies/artists make any money off that?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Look at what they start. I'm not being biased or anything but they start niches. Google's Project Glass for example.

Look I have zero interest in anything that doesn't offer on demand streaming, so this probably won't be for me. But these days with Apple no matter what they do it gets knocked, and things get knocked before they even get released. I swear Tim Cook could get on stage and announce a cure for cancer and people would complain about it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Look I have zero interest in anything that doesn't offer on demand streaming, so this probably won't be for me. But these days with Apple no matter what they do it gets knocked, and things get knocked before they even get released. I swear Tim Cook could get on stage and announce a cure for cancer and people would complain about it.

Well sure- it would put the drug companies that pay taxes out of business ;)

Weegee1

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2013
That includes a quick way for consumers to buy a song they hear, potentially boosting download sales from iTunes, as well as a revenue share of new audio ads Apple is planning to add to the free service, according to sources.

In that case, it had better be free! Looking forward to it.

----------

How exactly could you do free on-demand listening? How would the record companies/artists make any money off that?

You could have visual ads.

Last edited:

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I swear Tim Cook could get on stage and announce a cure for cancer and people would complain about it.
Yeah, think of all the health care workers who would lose their jobs. Apple is heartless, I tell you... Besides, Apple needs to come up with a low price version of the cure to compete with Asian vendors, otherwise it would be toast. In any case, cure for cancer is not all that revolutionary. Doctors have been curing cancer for a century now. It is just pretty packaging.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA

Maybe it's because we have high expectations for change....

omgwut

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
I'm interested to see it, but... Can Apple come up with something more creative to name it than iRadio?

The "i" suffix before everything Apple branded is getting so tired in my opinion... Lots of people have been talking about how iOS is one big area where Apple needs a kickstart or a refresh, but I think the endless, brainless iMonikors are another... Siri is a cool name, for one -- Yes I know it was acquired, Apple didn't come up with it, but that's the stuff I like. Swallow your own pill and start thinking different, Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.