Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kimlo

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010
In all honesty I could care less about this service, particularly because it will no doubt be tied to Apple products only. I want a service that's multi-platform.

That being said I'm glad Apple are doing this because it'll put more competition the existing players to come up with even better deals :)

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Magical

Did I really just read that the service will have "innovative" features like "jump back to the beginning of the song?" Really?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
The service, according to sources, most closely resembles Pandora because it doesn't offer on-demand listening.

So you don't get to choose what you listen to?

I'm not sure if I'm missing something but how will this be better than listening to a normal radio station? :confused:

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
For me personally, I like to be in charge, finding my own specific tunes I would like to hear, combine records, tunes, into my own playlist. Of course I pay for the services so I don't hear any adds but the payment, about 10 euro's a month, is fine for me since you also get better quality as well...

Other thing about Apple that I considered to be a disadvantage is iTunes. I never liked iTunes due of it's restrictions towards different formats when playing video on it and the way the whole interface works. I find Spotify so much more appealing looking at the more user friendly interface and not to forget all the extra free add-ons. Not all of them are interesting, but I do like the plugin SoundDrop a lot and the way it works with third party recommendations like http://www.perfects.nl/perfect-mood-swings/ (Dutch) or even when you would like to sing along it offers a variety of plug-ins to hear the music together with the lyrics, even showing the right line in sync with the song. And last, but not least, the community behind it. You can share everything on facebook, even showing directly what you're listening, invite people over in a music room, let people / friends select songs to play where they all can listening to simultaneously.

I think, therefore, Apple is to 'late' and is fishing behind what's already hugely popular, offering a service that's not new at all (last FM, Pandora, Spotify) with a huge lack of options when comparing it to what these other formats has to offer.

----------

So you don't get to choose what you listen to?

I'm not sure if I'm missing something but how will this be better than listening to a normal radio station? :confused:

Answer: it's not

:) I guess if you like Springsteen, as example, it will give you the choice to listen to music like Springsteen, but that's basically it. The on;y 'new' aspect would be that if you hear a new song you can skip back to it's beginning to hear it all over, that could be handy when you jump in a streaming radio station...

But in Spotify, when using Sounddrop for example where all the people in the room can suggest music, OR when using a radio station option, that is exactly the same what Apple will bring out, you can directly select the song you're listening to and put it in your own playlist. With a payed account you can even download it to you smartphone for offline use.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I use Spotify and find it excellent, I am sure that Apple will do a great job but the fact that I wont be able to use it on my Nexus 4 (I'm assuming that it won't be available to non Apple devices, particularly phones) as well as my MBP and iPad mini would somewhat hamstring the product for me.

Last edited:

blabliblu

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2013
iTunes is another great product completely destroyed and let alone by Apple by successive stupides decisions, useless updates that work slower and removes useful features...

I'm really searching for an iTunes alternative so much they've screwed everything with iTunes 11

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I hate ads. Period. I would rather pay for a service than listen or look at ads. That's why I don't ever listen to terrestrial radio anymore. I will pay Sirius to listen to music in my car, and pay for Slacker radio to stream without ads. Major fail by Apple.

This exactly. I have a SiriusXM radio in my cars and the app for my phone. Been a sub since 2004. I honestly use no other streaming apps.
Decades and classic rock and alternative is what I listen to, old but without commercials.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
This is simply to late and to dated. How could this be better in comparison to Spotify and Rdio where you can simply listen to which song you want, whenever you want in infinite amount of time?

I've never used Pandora (since it's blocked outside of US) but do people pay for it? It's basically a radio which caters to your choice of genre/artist, by playing similiar music, right?

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
If he did he's a little late. Should have done it 5-10 years earlier to save Steve Jobs.

Exactly. Tim Cook is old. Old like me. And old people don't have any fresh ideas. Just old re wrapped ideas made to look new. Apple needs much younger people at the top levels. Nobody older than 40. In some businesses, old is good to keep a company stable. However, in a tech business, youth keeps the company fresh and moving forward. Old people stagnate it.

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
Anyone who doesn't think Apple is going to offer this as on-demand radio streaming is downright stupid.

In case you didn't notice already, a basic radio service is already readily available through iTunes. Now, I know that iRadio is targeted at mobile devices, but you have to think for a moment. If all Apple was going to do is copy the existing radio service from iTunes and whack it into iDevices, they wouldn't go to so much effort to negotiate these deep content deals and brand it as iRadio.

A sensible conclusion as to what Apple will most likely do with iRadio is this:

Either a free or low-cost subscription-based, on-demand radio streaming service based on the content of the iTunes store. Every song will have a "buy now" button beside it when played to encourage sales. In addition to on-demand, there will be a large number of "channels", including a system for user-created radio streams, possibly with a small subscription cost to the creator of the stream to set it up. Free listening, of course.

The system will profit from the "buy now" sales and from short radio ads that run possibly every 5-10-15-20 songs. Possibly with some way of disabling ads at a cost.

Keep in mind, this is just logical speculation. I'm not claiming to have inside information.

That, with I'm sure a range of other features that we currently don't know, would make for a great radio service.

Don't be so quick to judge it. It isn't even finalised, let alone released.

I'm making about the same speculations.
We'll see once it gets released.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Cant really beat Spotify IMO. Pandora doesnt come close, and I highly doubt iRadio will.

3 years too late Apple.

payneo

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
Corvallis, Oregon
This is simply to late and to dated. How could this be better in comparison to Spotify and Rdio where you can simply listen to which song you want, whenever you want in infinite amount of time?

I've never used Pandora (since it's blocked outside of US) but do people pay for it? It's basically a radio which caters to your choice of genre/artist, by playing similiar music, right?

I pay the $36/yr for Pandora for no ads and skipping songs. I'm always open to something new. I tried Spotify but didn't like the Facebook integration and the Premium service is way more expensive. Using Pandora, it's not uncommon for me to bookmark a song and later buy it on iTunes. It works for me... ;-)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
How exactly could you do free on-demand listening? How would the record companies/artists make any money off that?

The kind of "free" where the cost is included in the purchase price of iPhone / iPod / iPad / Mac, or possibly included in iTunes Match. In other words, no _visible_ cost for the end user, but definitely cost for Apple, and definitely money going to the record companies / artists.

----------

Same here, I doubt Apple can surpass Spotify.

300 million users as soon as it ships, that should surpass Spotify.

Technically, it seems pretty straight-forward for Apple to implement. But I really would to question the ability of Apple to earn revenue through their iAd system (presumably using audio ads). My guess is the record labels have this same concern. If they can figure out a way to generate revenue for the labels, it should be a real winner.

Apple doesn't make money with iAds. iAds is for software developers to make money. Apple makes money by selling devices. They can give away lots of stuff for free, as long as it helps selling devices. Same as Google gives away stuff for free, as long as they get your personal information and make money showing you adverts. But "all the music for free and no adverts" works very fine for Apple, if that sells more devices.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Do we know that Apple's service will be free?

We don't. However, making it free has the advantage that it will have tons of users (every single iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad and Mac user can become a user instantly, that's a few hundred million), so Apple can negotiate excellent payment rates. And make money by selling more devices. Just as an example, they can sell you an iPod Touch, with twenty million songs available immediately.

----------

Define users. I think you mean 300 potential users.

Either change your post, are add that you mean "300" and not "300 million".

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Isn't Pandora losing favor because it doesn't let you pick what to listen to?

No idea if Pandora is losing favor or not but you still can pick one song to listen to before it starts playing similar songs. I still enjoy Pandora because it's a great way to discover new music. I use it as background music. The only time I don't like it is when I've used up all my "skips" and it pushes out genuine crap. I turn it off at that point.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
We don't. However, making it free has the advantage that it will have tons of users (every single iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad and Mac user can become a user instantly, that's a few hundred million), so Apple can negotiate excellent payment rates. And make money by selling more devices. Just as an example, they can sell you an iPod Touch, with twenty million songs available immediately.

I could see that being a success but the source for this article claims it's not going to offer on-demand listening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.