Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Sometimes I see on my desktop an annoying notification indicating me that there is an update available in the App Store. The problem is that I can't get rid of this popup without clicking it and actually going to the App Store to update my system.

This behaviour seems completely absurd. If I don't want to update OS X in that moment, how can I send that little and annoying warning away?

Cheers! :apple:

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
You can find the settings in System Preferences, Software Update.

But actually I want it to download the updates in the background. What I don't want are those annoying pop-ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
In System Preferences, go to Notification Center, select AppStore on the left and turn off it's Notifications.

That's the first thing that I tried, but it's not there.

treichert

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Aachen, Germany
Hm, that's strange. I just checked it as well, and it's gone for me too.

Maybe I'm mixing this up with one of the Mountain Lion betas, but I'm quite certain, that this was there in 10.8.0.

Maybe they removed it, so users wouldn't ignore security updates. :confused:

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Hm, that's strange. I just checked it as well, and it's gone for me too.

Maybe I'm mixing this up with one of the Mountain Lion betas, but I'm quite certain, that this was there in 10.8.0.

Maybe they removed it, so users wouldn't ignore security updates. :confused:

It would be great if I could fix it with a line in Terminal or something. There must be an option.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
It would be great if I could fix it with a line in Terminal or something. There must be an option.

Disable Notifications Center
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui KeepAlive -bool false

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Disable Notifications Center
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui KeepAlive -bool false

I don't want to disable NC actually, only the App Store pop-ups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.