Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
iRadio. From the team that brought you Apple Maps. Both answers to questions no one asked.

Spotify's already got it all. Why does Apple continue to do this?

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
iRadio. From the team that brought you Apple Maps. Both answers to questions no one asked.

This could have been said about the iPad (hell, -I- said it). "How is this better than a laptop? Why do I need it?"

I now own said iPad. :p Give Apple a chance to do something interesting with iRadio before you write it off.

paulloewen

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2011
The only people I see using this are fanboys. Everyone already uses either Pandora, Spotify or SiriusXM. Apple shouldn't make this move. Against it. Also, Apple will find some way to ruin it anyways.

Considering Pandora and Spotify don't really work outside of the US, the rest of the world would be grateful if Apple comes up with something. That said, it'll probably take 2 years to come to Canada anyways...

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
How are you comparing if Spotify Free does not stream on mobile ?

Spotify free doesn't stream on mobile?

2u5t9i8.png

hacks or magic it must be.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Considering Pandora and Spotify don't really work outside of the US, the rest of the world would be grateful if Apple comes up with something. That said, it'll probably take 2 years to come to Canada anyways...

Pandora might be US only but Spotify certainly isn't...

As of February 2013, the service is available in Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the United States.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
More like Pandora and no on-demand listening? Yep, Apple is continuing to be behind the curve yet again. Spotify is going to demolish this weak effort.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto

Spotify's already got it all. Why does Apple continue to do this?

Yes, how dare Apple works on a product that another company already offers?!!!111!!!!

Other than that: As long as Spotify is not able to offer their service in Canada, it's irrelevant to me.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Against it why? Because more choices is a terrible thing? Also why would only "fanboys" use the service? What about the millions of other Apple consumers that are not "married" to everything with an Apple logo, but instead, chose Apple products because they are easier to use and understand?

Finally, let's assume everyone uses one of the services you mention above. In 1989 everyone used their local cable service for TV. Now many have pulled the plug or use satellite. Are you suggesting consumer choice is locked in and doesn't change? Is that why the Palm is the #1 selling smartphone in 2013?

----------

Aren't you making some unfounded assumptions? Apple hasn't announced a service yet, much less how it will work, or what it will cost. How can you suggest Apple is behind the 8 ball if we don't know Apple's position yet?
The Palm is the #1 smartphone of 2013?

----------

I like Google, but I don't think you can claim they started a niche product when the product supposedly starting the niche isn't even available yet.

*cough* iWatch *cough*

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
What about the millions of other Apple consumers that are not "married" to everything with an Apple logo, but instead, chose Apple products because they are easier to use and understand?
?

I don't find iTunes user friendly. The App store is, due it's simplicity. I know many Apple users, including myself but I truly dislike iTunes, because of it limitations and unfriendly user interface.

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
On demand?

If you mention the pathetic radio system from Spotify you lose any credit you might have...

For actual radio based music Pandora kills Spotify.

I lose all credit and yet it seems the majority vote has Spotify over Pandora. After using both, I prefer Spotify over Pandora. Also, when did I say anything about on demand? Whatever helps your argument I guess.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
iRadio

What are the chances iRado will make a few more bucks like Spotify Free does by introducing an "ad-supported" service in-line, or even in the stream ?

Would people be happy with this, or pay (maybe a fee) to get rid of these ?

Apple could do this, and if they did, how will users react ?

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Quite frankly, if it's just a radio as the name suggests and nothing more, I'll have no use for it. If it's anything like Pandora, then the music that it thinks that I'll like will in fact be just the opposite of that.

Besides, I've found more NEW music through Spotify because of the fact that I can pick what I listen to.

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
The only people I see using this are fanboys. Everyone already uses either Pandora, Spotify or SiriusXM. Apple shouldn't make this move. Against it. Also, Apple will find some way to ruin it anyways.

Dont forget Slacker Radio, better than any of those mentioned above.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
I lose all credit and yet it seems the majority vote has Spotify over Pandora. After using both, I prefer Spotify over Pandora. Also, when did I say anything about on demand? Whatever helps your argument I guess.

Because on the beginning on this thread everyone was saying spotify was much better because you could choose what to listen.

Didn't target you specifically, if you weren't talking about the same then I take my words back.

Ray J

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2013
Apple won't even give us lossless music options in iTunes. What a joke. I want to own my music. DOA.

Luscious

Suspended
Aug 8, 2007
Where is the innovation? Pandora already does this. I'd be much more interested in a service that lets you pay a monthly fee so that you stream anything on demand and to download music that you can play later if your device doesn't have an Internet connection (like when your on a plane or put the device in airplane mode to maximize battery life) in conjunction with a radio like service. If you combined a Spotify like service with a Pandora like service I'd be all in and willing to pay for it.

At a minimum to interest me at all it would need to be more Spotify like than Pandora like. If its just a Pandora knock off then yawn ...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.