Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I'm not worried at all actually. I just don't like it when people try to force their opinions on me. It would be unhealthy if I did...

That's understandable.

Hopefully you can likewise understand that some people here felt that you tried to force your opinion ,while using an old and mostly refuted photo montage.

Others who have done that also had the grace to say, "Oops, I didn't realize the store wall thing was bogus".

People here like arguments that can be backed up.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I hate...hate...HATE it when people show those plugs as proof of Samsung's "shameless copying". It's a standard full sized USB plug on a square AC adapter.

It's one of these...

Plus one of these...

Yeah, I guess Samsung could've gone out of their way and made it shaped like a triangle or an octogon or something, but comeon...

You just don't "get it".

Apple had the idea first, and boy did they patent it. Samsung will never get away with blatantly copying Apple's original designs.

Just because some cheesy wall adapter looked like that first doesn't mean that Apple didn't invent it.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
But different and continually developed versions of software can be copyrighted as they are rolled out. Furthermore, there are excellent diagnostic techniques for detecting copyright infringement of even snippets of compiled code. The thing about this patent is its sheer obviousness. Look at all the other companies that had already developed algorithms that did the same thing. That simple fact should invalidate the patent. I'm willing to bet there were versions of shareware out there that predate this patent. It's been said for a long time that software should NOT be patentable, and the example here is a beautiful illustration of exactly why.

Let's see: You claim that the patent is invalid due to "a simple fact". And yet, Apple fully litigated this case and lost badly.

So which is it, are you just naive? Or are Apple's lawyers incompetent to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars? Did they really fail to try to invalidate the patent? Or did they try, but fail? And why did they fail if it is all so easy and obvious?

Methinks that you are not sufficiently familiar with this patent and patent law in general. Personally, I'd trust Apple's army of lawyers before I'd trust some random internet poster on a topic as complex as patent law as applied to this particular patent.

But maybe it all as simple as you say. And maybe Apple's legal team needs you to save the day. Why not write them an email at least?

----------

Here let me make a pants on head retarded patent worth 11 billion dollars:

Method for driving safely.

Drive based on the available safe paths for driving.

It's very simple.

Good luck with that. I'll bet you a beer that you never, ever receive a patent for that. Hell, I'll bet you a thousand dollars you never get a patent for that.

Very simple, indeed.

----------

I stand by what I said earlier about Samsung copying Apple in terms of design. Even if we discredit all previous images it is pretty obvious in my eyes.

Some people never let the facts get in the way of a good opinion.

----------

Of course I don't need any further evidence cause from the very beginning I was describing what seems obvious to me.

It has been obvious to millions of people over the course of thousands of years that cutting the beating heart out of a virgin would prevent volcanoes from erupting.

And they had a lot of evidence. They killed a virgin, and the volcano did not erupt. Indeed, it worked each and every time.

----------

That's just a lame excuse. You cannot prevent people from voicing their opinions. This is a public forum.

In my opinion, opinions that have no basis in fact are worth less than nothing.

----------

What proven fact? The galaxy tab looked just like an ipad and there is no denying that.

The big Samsung logo is, IMO, a significant difference.

Another big difference is that Samsung uses the normal aspect ratio for the Tab, while Apple uses the old school "black and white TV" aspect ratio.

So yeah, I deny that. And so do the vast majority of the courts who have considered the question.

Renzatic

Suspended
You just don't "get it".

Apple had the idea first, and boy did they patent it. Samsung will never get away with blatantly copying Apple's original designs.

Just because some cheesy wall adapter looked like that first doesn't mean that Apple didn't invent it.

Apple invented rounded corners, too. Don't forget that.

You know, I give credit to Apple for popularizing minimalism in electronics. It's hard to deny they're one of the major influences in current tech fashion.

But there's this thing about minimalism. It's minimal. As in there's not much to it. If everyone is going for sleek and unadorned, eventually everyone's stuff is gonna look pretty similar. Like a tablet. It's a square screen with one button somewhere on the front. There's only so much you can do with that. I guess you could make the bezel red or blue or something, but who wants to do that? No one wants a red bezel. They want black or white. About the only thing a company can do to differentiate their products is by the bezel thickness. That's about it.

The end result is that just about every tablet is going to look like the iPad, the Galaxy Tab, the Nexus 7, the Surface RT. They're all squares with different aspect ratios. From the front, they all look about the same.

That's not good enough for some people though. They can't be happy their their favorite computer company is the leading influence in the industry. No. Only they should be the ones who can release a product that looks remotely similar to that. If someone else wants to release a tablet, it has to have 15 buttons on the front, because Apple has a product with just one button. If it looks the same at a casual glance, they'll freak out and start posting tons of pictures and blllaaarr copied, they should be sued for a billion dollars!

It's asinine and petty is what it all is.

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
if (internal) { vpn(); } else { internet(); } is not the sort of thing that "sounds" patentable. Virtually all software uses this sort of logic!

Evidently the patent office in the US disagrees with that logic.

Not only is that not their job, but software engineers are not supposed to go looking at patents because it could be argued, later, that it was willful infringement. Even if they accidentally did it by "inventing" something years later without realizing that they got the idea from another patent while doing research.

It may be someone else's job to research that sort of thing, but researching every little feature sounds like an impossible task.

Lunacy of software patents?

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Apple ought to intentionally loose a couple of these patent cases... so that they can use them as precedent in future lawsuits against other companies. :)

mmcc

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2010
Tennessee
The sheer fact that Apple's own software engineers testified that they did not spend any time determining if an software patents existed for the systems they were building is pretty telling. If one of the largest software companies in the world doesn't even bother looking to see if software patents exist when developing a new technology than bluntly what is the point in their existence? Other than to feed the insatiable need patent trolls have to plunder.

Bingo. It's a profit center for lawyers, period.

It is impossible to write any code for any application now that doesn't intrude on numerous frivolous and silly patents. You would simply waste your entire budget in paralysis over patent issues rather than make a product.

Many of the patents are so vague or generalized that the trolls can use them to threaten suit in several different ways that you would not understand from a cursory reading anyway -- so why even read them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.