Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
It would be an amazing feat of engineering if the iPhone 5's 1440 mAh battery could match the Note 2's 3000+ mAh battery - larger screen and all.....

I'm an iOS apologist and even I can admit the Note 2 has better battery life.

From Anandtech

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365370345.986995.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365370370.052141.jpg

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I have a hard time believing that graph. I have a note 2. 9 of my high school soccer players have an iPhone 5. We've taken several long tournament trips, none of their iPhones can last as long as my Note 2.

-_-

Well unless you're on FB too, updating your status with them, I'm betting your usage varies.

ste1164

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2009
I'm confused by the first graph. How does one get eight full hours of LTE and barely five of 3G on the 5? I will get about six full hours of both on mine equally. Does it matter which carrier you have?

By the way, I get near twelve hours on wifi, but I assume that is because I am usually only a few feet from the router.

Its a standard test anandtech run, same brightness and same conditions for every phone they test.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
With double the battery size. Tells you a lot about the O/S on both right.

The Note II also has a bigger screen and the hardware itself is a lot more powerful, the whole device is built to be in between a phone and a tablet. You can't just put it all down to the OS when you compare battery lives with a more conservative device like the iPhone 5.

retina screens require more power.

Compared to what? Says who? :confused:

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012

Thank you
/Thread

----------

I'm confused by the first graph. How does one get eight full hours of LTE and barely five of 3G on the 5? I will get about six full hours of both on mine equally. Does it matter which carrier you have?

By the way, I get near twelve hours on wifi, but I assume that is because I am usually only a few feet from the router.

Firstly LTE is significantly more efficient than 3G (you can read about this in the review). Secondly these tests are under ideal conditions at 200 nits brightness and refreshing of the same website at intervals.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Haha, real tech guys here.
You sound like the average iPhone user to me.

Yes been in IT for 20 years. Retina requires more power. Guess people forgot when they went to the Retina's they had to increase the battery sizes on the iphones and ipads. LOL

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mobile-computing/tablets/why-does-a-retina-display-matter-1082433

"Achieving retina resolutions with current TFT technology isn't easy. The more tightly you pack the pixels, the lower the display's aperture ratio becomes. The aperture ratio is the ratio between the pixel's transparent area and the whole pixel area including wiring; the smaller the ratio, the less light gets through. To compensate for this, Apple has been forced to double the number of LEDs in the iPad's backlight, which uses 72 LEDs and requires two and a half times more power than the backlight in the iPad 2."

"Power hungry

By area, every iPad is made primarily of battery - and the new iPad has the biggest one yet, which is why it's slightly thicker and heavier than its predecessor. Driving those extra LEDs requires lots of power, and to achieve the same battery life as an iPad 2 the new iPad's battery has been upped from 25 watt-hours to 42.5."

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
And doesn't understand the difference between LED backlighting and LCD displays by the sounds of it.

And people here obviously know nothing on how technology works and refuse to read and learn. Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.