Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gryffinwings

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
So I've been using Aperture again since I got a newer mac, the latest that will run on Snow Leopard. So I get the itch to try LR4 on the MacBook that I have. What I found was that LR4 actually ran faster on my macbook then Aperture 3 did.

LR4 also ran faster on my Macbook with Intel C2D with 2.5 GBs of RAM than a Sony Viao with Intel Core 2 Duo and 4 GBs of RAM.

So it looks like I will be still work LR4.

Macbook specs are in my signature.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Didn't you ask essentially the same question in an earlier thread? I don't know what more is there to add: your major constraints are the amount of RAM and hard drive speed. Anything that doesn't fit into your RAM will be relegated to the hard drive which is orders of magnitude slower.

Lightroom 4 is not going to be a miracle worker, as soon as you try either piece of software on a recent Mac with copious amounts of RAM, you will not want to go back to your old machine in all likelihood.

gryffinwings

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Didn't you ask essentially the same question in an earlier thread? I don't know what more is there to add: your major constraints are the amount of RAM and hard drive speed. Anything that doesn't fit into your RAM will be relegated to the hard drive which is orders of magnitude slower.

Lightroom 4 is not going to be a miracle worker, as soon as you try either piece of software on a recent Mac with copious amounts of RAM, you will not want to go back to your old machine in all likelihood.

I'm just surprised that it actually works faster than Aperture 3, I wasn't actually expecting that considering the Sony Viao was running slow already, I figured the MacBook would too. Kinda weird to me, but it works.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I'm just surprised that it actually works faster than Aperture 3, I wasn't actually expecting that considering the Sony Viao was running slow already, I figured the MacBook would too. Kinda weird to me, but it works.
The Vaio will be faster as soon as Lightroom requires more than 2.5 GB RAM. From my own experience, I can tell you for a fact that 2.5 GB is way too little, and you'll do yourself a big favor to upgrade. So instead of rationalizing and discussing, I'd just invest in more RAM, it's very cheap. Your machine can take up to 6 GB RAM, so I'd replace the 512 MB module with a 4 GB module if I were you. And if you want to extend the life of your machine even further, replace the harddrive with an SSD (Samsung 840 Pro or Intel 525/335-series).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.