Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cyndane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2013
Australia
I am looking for the right HDD to put in the enclosure i am getting for my mac mini.

I am looking for a 4 TB HDD, but not sure on the brand.

I am looking at a Western Digital 7200 caviar black, like this one

http://www.macfixit.com.au/drives-s...ern-digital-caviar-black-3-5-sata-3-hdd.html?

however i was wondering if this was the right one for my needs.

I will be using the drive on a usb 3.0 connection, for the storage of my iTunes HDTV collection.

Any thoughts?
Suggestions for an alternative drive?

banemicic

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
Ext. HDD

I bought MiniStack enclosure which fits perfectly with my mini:

http://www.newertech.com/products/ministack.php

http://www.macfixit.com.au/4tb-7200rpm-hitachi-ultrastar-3-5-sata-3-hdd-enterprise-class.html

and put 4TB Hitachi enterprise HDD into it. Unfortunately, Mac mini 2012 had a usb3-blutooth problem, when you use usb3 external HDD, wireless mouse start to behave erratically and slowly... So I use firewire 800 and everything work flawlessly. You can solve the problem by opening the mini and cover the BT part of the logic board with adhesive aluminium foil... I thing Newer Technology had a youtube link about the procedure. In real world, FW800 and usb3 works almost at same speed regardless the substantial difference in speed noted on paper...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4jiEY1JgOI

Last edited:

Cyndane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2013
Australia
Yeah i had already planned on the newer technologies ministack.

Just wasn't sure about the drive to put in to it.

Thanks for your reply.

cxc273

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
The Ministack is very, very nice and looks awesome with my Mac Mini. I was actually thinking about upgrading to their new Ministack Max, which is a hard drive enclosure that includes an optional Blu-ray drive.

michael_aos

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
I bought a Seagate Backup Plus 4TB USB3 at Costco for ~$150 including tax.

I stuck it in a ~$150 Thunderbolt desktop adapter from Amazon, but it was just as fast with the original USB3 adapter.
--

----------

In real world, FW800 and usb3 works almost at same speed regardless the substantial difference in speed noted on paper...

That's simply not true.
--

Cyndane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2013
Australia
Yeah I've read various posts on these forums about the USB 3.0 vs Firewire 800 speed benefits. But given that my bottleneck is the download speed of my ADSL, when downloading TV episodes from iTunes, then Firewire or USB 3.0 aren't going to make a difference in this use.

However backup speed may be a different matter. Hence I've been looking for an enclosure that has both Firewire and USB 3.0 connectors.

Plus having USB 3.0 makes it more future compatible.

electrao

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2011
They are taking pre orders so i would assume it should be available this year...no price is mentioned thought!

suzerain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2000
Beijing, China
Sorry to hijack the thread with my selfish desires :), but wanted to comment on the product you guys posted...good to see that coming out, but...all I want is a simple thunderbolt drive system, not some complicated "docking station".

The ministack looks perfect...if they just had the speedier thunderbolt interface + perhaps USB 3 so you could plug it in elsewhere.

EDIT: I guess there are some drives like what I want now...just not these ones.

Anyway to get back on topic I can't help out with recommending a specific drive for the inside. I'd go with some 7200 RPM HD, personally, and quite frankly I don't think the brand is all that important; I'd be looking more at specs...whatever people say performs the best.

Last edited:

michael_aos

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
Why not just buy a Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Drive?

They're less-expensive than a bare 4TB drive.
--

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.