Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

autrefois

macrumors 65816

Attachments

• Walken-Cowbell-APP.jpg
    Walken-Cowbell-APP.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 70

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
What are you guys expecting? That like saying WalMart should not be allowed to hand out commercial magazines or Apple shouldn't be allowed to run Super Bowl ads because there are better Indie phones that are not getting the proper exposure. That is how the world works. You pay for advertisement room and exposure. If you have a really genius idea it will maybe picked up nonetheless, but chances are slim.

I believe that creating a website dedicated to only paid app reviews is wrong. Wrong in the same way as if you opened a supermarket and ask food producers to pay you to sell their food.
It's not a problem to pay for an ad in Times or another content-oriented resource.

----------

Websites need to survive somehow. Most people block advertising these days, so there goes that option.

I wouldn't charge for a review myself, just ask for a promo code to get the app for free to review. Some developers have even seen me reviewing their apps on places like here, and they do offer me some of their other stuff as a thank you.

But a lot of sites need that money to survive, and obviously to make money, you need money. If you don't get that concept, you probably won't get very far that quickly with most things, including apps.

Creating a website with the sole purpose of publishing paid reviews is wrong concept. Only those with money regardless of app quality will be featured. It's the same story as with this blocked app.
If you don't get that concept then I'm sorry for you.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I hope AppGratis still serves the people that have already downloaded the app. I love that app.... :/

----------

I believe that creating a website dedicated to only paid app reviews is wrong. Wrong in the same way as if you opened a supermarket and ask food producers to pay you to sell their food.
It's not a problem to pay for an ad in Times or another content-oriented resource.

Wait, what? Don't food producers already have to pay to be in a store? ie. top shelf or prime location?

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
I hope AppGratis still serves the people that have already downloaded the app. I love that app.... :/

----------

Wait, what? Don't food producers already have to pay to be in a store? ie. top shelf or prime location?

In some countries you don't pay and the store owner just picks what he believes is best for him and his customers. In some countries you pay for prime location (we can compare it to a banner ad on a website). In some countries and stores you pay just to get your product to the store and there's no way they'll pick your or anyone else's product if you don't pay. The latter is very bad and a totally wrong business model. It hurts product makers, it hurts customers, because the selection is screwed and not based on quality, the only one who wins is the store owner.

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
Dang it.:mad: I use this app frequently and have found some really good apps in app gratis. The question is, will it continue to work if I still have it?

I'm worried for the Touch Arcade app, which also promotes other apps and lets you watch for price drops and such... If it gets pulled, I'll be mad.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yes the app will work if you still have it.

As for push notifications, mine are off and they weren't as bad as the god damn skee ball notifications.

Rico31262

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2012
A little curious why AppGratis was singled out

I see Apps Gone Free, AppiDay, Apps Gone Wild still in the App Store...what are they doing "right" that AppGratis did "wrong?" :(

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Funny, this and AppShopper are right next to each other in my shopping folder. Guess I better not mess with them.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009

But this app is not even a store. The sell exposure .. advertisement space if you will, this is no different than buying space in a magazine to advertise your product. Well I guess it is a bit different in the sense that customer are actually getting "paid" to read the ads in this model over just having to consume them in old fashioned magazines or on TV. Here the customers are benefiting from discounts or even free apps.

Beside, a lot of stores actually work that way that they have dedicated Areas to showcase certain products, Apples own shop in a shop system is an example.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Now he contacts popular app-review blogs to get a review and again they ask money for that. It wouldn't be a problem if they said "hey your app doesn't meet our quality standards, so we can't review it", but no, that's the business model for many of them - developers should just pay for reviews.

I believe that creating a website dedicated to only paid app reviews is wrong.

Full ack. Here you have kind of a blacklist of such sites:

http://www.appynation.com/hall-of-infamy/

As well as Spanish, Italian, and English...and Afrikaans... and Haitian Creole, Dutch, Catalan, Croatian, Romanian, and, of course, Latin.

And German btw.

I really wish AppShopper was still available in the App Store, I honestly didn't see the harm. It certainly helped me find more apps (and spend more moey in the App Store).

Go to their website. It's essentially the same and good to read on mobile devices. Highly recommended! (Okay they could tell if there are In-App Purchases for real money inside the apps.) However they use affiliate links (referrers).

You forgot to bold App #5. :D Appappappappappabble.

fujitsu

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
I would have expected some mention of how this affects or relates to AppShopper, MacRumor's sister site.

AppShopper was affected first with the new rules from Apple. It was already pulled back from the App Store a few months back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.