Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

denisclc

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
São Paulo, Brazil
- Carrier update changes references of 3G to 4G

- My new APN for cellular data is fast.t-mobile.com
- My new APN for MMS is fast.t-mobile.com
- MMSC remains the same: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
- MMS max message size the same 1048576
- MMS UA Prof URL: now empty
- Takes away my 'Internet Tethering' section in the Cellular Data Settings
- Puts a 'Setup Personal Hot Spot' button on the cellular page. Press it "PLZ CONTACT TEH TMOBILE TO CAN HAZ SETUP HOTSPOT" (those turds)

Strange, my APN for MMS changed to fast.t-mobile.com but for cellular data it is still epc.t-mobile.com

If I change it manually, it changes back.

CharismaticNerd

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Dallas, TX
I think I figured out how the get the hotspot working. Mine worked fine, then after the update it stopped. I logged into my T-Mobile account online and went to "view plan and service details" Under "Services" I clicked manage and scrolled down to the HotSpot section. Listed there is the 500MB Smartphone Mobile HotSpot option and under price it shows FREE. I added this to my plan, gave it 5 minutes, restarted my phone, and it was then available and working perfectly.

Is this on 30$ 5GB plan too?

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Strange, my APN for MMS changed to fast.t-mobile.com but for cellular data it is still epc.t-mobile.com

Perhaps fast is just for the iPhone 5. What are you using?

----------

Got decent speeds with 3G in NYC so I'm not ready to give up my personal hotspot yet. Does anybody know how good 4G coverage would be? 3G is still very spotty in the outer Boros

The carrier update didn't do anything to coverage. All it did is show 4G when you are connected to HSPA+. Before it showed 3G for both (which is should but stupid carriers like it to say 4G). It will not affect speeds in anyway (it is just a display change).

Taddeusz

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010
3GS Visual Voicemail

I received my carrier update. Visual Voicemail is now enabled by I keep getting "Voicemail Unavailable Could not authorize access." I chatted with T-Mobile help and they said that visual voicemail is not compatible with the iPhone 3GS.

So not only can I not use VVM but I also cannot know that I have new voicemail. Not sure what to do.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
- Carrier update changes references of 3G to 4G

- My new APN for cellular data is fast.t-mobile.com
- My new APN for MMS is fast.t-mobile.com
- MMSC remains the same: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
- MMS max message size the same 1048576
- MMS UA Prof URL: now empty
- Takes away my 'Internet Tethering' section in the Cellular Data Settings
- Puts a 'Setup Personal Hot Spot' button on the cellular page. Press it "PLZ CONTACT TEH TMOBILE TO CAN HAZ SETUP HOTSPOT" (those turds)

Thanks for the settings. Put MMS settings in my 3GS on iOS 5 and I get MMS now...

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Perhaps fast is just for the iPhone 5. What are you using?The carrier update didn't do anything to coverage. All it did is show 4G when you are connected to HSPA+. Before it showed 3G for both (which is should but stupid carriers like it to say 4G). It will not affect speeds in anyway (it is just a display change).

The problem stems from the standard's body failing to, or at least taking its time, to adopt a definition for 4G. HSPC+ was, and probably still is, included in the working 4G definition. That is why carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile can legally refer to HSPC+ as 4G.

From a practical stand point, its speeds are comparable and sometimes surpass LTE speeds.

----------

I received my carrier update. Visual Voicemail is now enabled by I keep getting "Voicemail Unavailable Could not authorize access." I chatted with T-Mobile help and they said that visual voicemail is not compatible with the iPhone 3GS.

So not only can I not use VVM but I also cannot know that I have new voicemail. Not sure what to do.

I don't think the T-Mobile rep is correct, but what version of the OS are you using. You have to be on at least 6.1.

stuckwithme247

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Downloaded the carrier bundle but still no Visual Voicemail. Restarted twice, does anyone actually have this working? I'm on an iPhone 5 with 6.1.3 that I just restored on Friday.

EDIT: Nothing a quick restore couldn't fix :) Working now!!

Last edited:

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Edge will be around for many years on T-mobile. They do not even have plans to replace the current edge towers anytime soon. Right now the refarming to 1900Mhz is only happening in places that already have 3G.

And 3G isn't going away. HSPA+ is built on top of 3G. In fact it is 3G (some call it 3.5G).
Correction edge and HSPA
Leaving only HSPA + and LTE

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007

Bullsh... I'm on a 3GS with 6.1.3, factory unlocked, not jailbroken, and since the carrier update I've got visual voicemail on my phone.

ETA: here's an idea. Could it have anything to do with which version of the 3GS we're talking about? I've got one of the last batches, made in December 2011 with a newer baseband chip.

Just left myself a voicemail from my deskphone, and everything works as one would expect. Neat!

Last edited:

ar93

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
LA
weird my LTE setup is blank.. is anybody else's blank? everything else has fast.t-mobile.com. and my tethering works as well. i have a jailbroken iphone 5 on 6.1.2.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Correction edge and HSPA
Leaving only HSPA + and LTE

Sorry but edge and 3G will be around on T-mobile for many, many more years. AFAIK there aren't even any plans to upgrade most edge sites in the next few years.

----------

weird my LTE setup is blank.. is anybody else's blank? everything else has fast.t-mobile.com. and my tethering works as well. i have a jailbroken iphone 5 on 6.1.2.

I think it is suppose to be blank unless it is different than your data APN.

jtmarine73

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
hotspot

I'm on the originally unlimited data with hotspot. Not one of the new plans. Hotspot option just came back on my phone about 30 minutes after the update. Finally feel like I have a legit iPhone.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Sorry but edge and 3G will be around on T-mobile for many, many more years. AFAIK there aren't even any plans to upgrade most edge sites in the next few years.

----------

I think it is suppose to be blank unless it is different than your data APN.
one of many articles

http://gigaom.com/2012/02/23/t-mobile-pounds-the-first-nail-in-2gs-coffin/

quellish

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010

If you have an existing T-Mobile iOS configuration profile (that you would have downloaded from the t-mobile setup site), remove it.

desimaniac

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
Just got off the phone with T-Mobile.

Mobile hotspot isn't even an option with the prepaid Unlimited 4G plan. You can't even purchase the feature as an add-on. I was hoping you could tether a limited amount of data for an additional fee. Wow.

If you want mobile hotspot it's only available with the $50 or $60 prepaid plans. I'll have to sell my WiFi only iPad Mini and buy the cellular one. Use the $30 5GB plan on that and keep the Unlimited 4G.

Guess I won't be updating for now.

It is an option on their website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.