Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
California
So a new Mac Pro is coming soon.

I could have told you that. What I couldn't actually tell you are the details about the Mac Pro.

Let's hope for some leaked details.

(Edit: Minor grammar fix.)

Last edited:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Yes a "new" Mac Pro. My prediction is the list of upgrades over the current Mac Pro is this...

1) A plastic grill covering the fan blades.
2) A change to the model number.

That's it.

ronjon10

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
I'm thinking it will be the same enclosure, have an updated processor, thunderbolt connectors, and have European approved fans.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I don't know Intel's plan but is there a chip going to be released within' the time frame suitable for the MP?
If apple is indeed planning on a new MP, it needs to be groundbreaking considering the long wait..

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
I'm hoping to run a proper operating system on this new Mac Pro too.
Please no more of this iOS stuff in Mountain Lion please, give us a slim innovative OS like Snow Leopard was.

b0fh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
iMac with Minis?

See it.. and so far all evidence we currently have has been nothing but vaporware at best.. And I am sure it won't be anything like the Mac Pro we are all using now. I expect it to be very small, with limited expandability and mostly everything integrated and or soldered to the board, given Apple's direction towards the consumer and not Pro users.

Maybe 1 or 2 PCIe 2.0 or 3.0 slots at best.. and be lucky if there is thunderbolt on there and or SATA III.

I am sure it will be a hybrid of the Mac Mini or iMac with PRO stuck on it.

We will have to wait and see though.

What about an iMac, with slots for Minis? If you need more cpu, just add another MacMini to the back...

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I am still thinking they open pre orders dec 31 and have huge month long delays for anyone who didnt order in the first hour (see iMac)

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I'd like to see a smaller form, similar to the ill-fated G4 Cube with:

- 2-3 PCIe Slots
- 2-3 SATA III slots
- RAM
- Processor(s) - choice of i7, Xeon, etc.
- USB 3
- Thunderbolt
- Graphics card or box

Stick it in a ventilated closet, etc. and have one Thunderbolt cable running to the workstation for display(s), HID's, external drives/devices.

Based on BTO spec's, price range could start from $1600-2400.

djTA630

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
Interesting news. Count me in for one; as I've been one of those waiting for awhile.
This is interesting news especially considering the previous article about the Intel Thunderbolt revision in 2014.
Darn it! I can never get ahead!

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
I won't ever need one. But I'm glad it's coming. This in combination with more and more FCP X features will help win back a long time loyal market.

Junipr

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
Remember last year Cook said: "..we’re working on something really great for later [2013]." That considered, it would definitely be a (pleasant) surprise to see anything before this year's WWDC..

carlemil

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
"Apple will announce a replacement to the Mac Pro at some point in the next several months."

Article Link: Rumor Suggests Replacement for Mac Pro Due in April or May

Here's your replacement:
hero.jpg

Seriously though... can't wait.

Last edited:

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I don't know Intel's plan but is there a chip going to be released within' the time frame suitable for the MP?
If apple is indeed planning on a new MP, it needs to be groundbreaking considering the long wait..

It needs to be kept up to date and updated regularly. No waiting for a new intel architecture each time. When the new video cards are out it needs to be updated. The pricing also needs a major overhaul. The machine should be updated atleast every 3-6 months. Dell updates the configurations atleast that often. The fact that this machine didn't get a meaningful update in over 1000 days is ridiculous and is proof that apple does not care at all about professional users.

jmggs

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
I already sold my 2010 Mac Pro earlier this year to build my own workstation. While I do miss some things about OS X, when I am in my major programs they work just the same. Except now everything runs much faster.

This a option. Don't need a Mac Pro is overpriced and no real roadmap they don't care about real pro users. You can have a great Workstation based on PC:
Custom made, HP Z, Leonovo and Boxx. Well configured is great. REALLY GREAT.

I switch form a Mac Pro to a custom workstation and use a Macbook Pro and i don't regret a single day!
The best from both world's!

P.S.: Only for open minds!:cool:

mdorais

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
Apple really needs to get this out the door soon. The product page is still available for the Mac Pro on the UK Apple site even though it's been removed from the online UK Apple Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.