Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
Post a snapshot of your speed test and put the location you're from and the type of iPhone you are using too

NYC iPhone 4S

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 658
Last edited:

seh80

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2005
Chicago, IL USA
Overland Park, Kansas, which is more or less next door to KC, MO. I tried it inside and out, got about the same. iPhone 4. :(
i-XtCPrHQ-M.png

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I think the real speed will be after the new iPhone 5 with AWS frequency is released on 12th April. The PCS coverage by T-mobile is very spotty, but their AWS coverage is pretty good. With the LTE added on, T-mobile will be the best value for money for many people living in cities and suburbs. Verizon will continue to be the choice in regional and rural areas. AT&T will face a tough competition from T-mobile. No wonder they wanted to buy off their competition, something they have always done.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
People should probably post which model iPhone they're using too since each one is capable of different types of speed.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I think the real speed will be after the new iPhone 5 with AWS frequency is released on 12th April. The PCS coverage by T-mobile is very spotty, but their AWS coverage is pretty good. With the LTE added on, T-mobile will be the best value for money for many people living in cities and suburbs. Verizon will continue to be the choice in regional and rural areas. AT&T will face a tough competition from T-mobile. No wonder they wanted to buy off their competition, something they have always done.
That HSPA on AWS will be moving to PCS 1900mhz. AWS will run LTE.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
That HSPA on AWS will be moving to PCS 1900mhz. AWS will run LTE.

Yes, but probably 90% of the country doesn't have access to PCS yet on T-mobile. And T-mobile's AWS network supports HSPA+42 which they don't on 1900mhz. So you are more likely to get higher speeds on AWS for now.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Yes, but probably 90% of the country doesn't have access to PCS yet on T-mobile. And T-mobile's AWS network supports HSPA+42 which they don't on 1900mhz. So you are more likely to get higher speeds on AWS for now.
The initial reframing will cover 50% of tmobile's market. Additional reframing will happen with the LTE roll out. Putting HSPA on 1900mhz and LTE on AWS.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Can someone please run a few speedtests while on a call?

I am curios to see the speeds. AT&T throttles all speeds during call to 1mbps or less.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Can someone please run a few speedtests while on a call?

I am curios to see the speeds. AT&T throttles all speeds during call to 1mbps or less.

I actually called AT&T about that last night because I was really fed up that it took over 2 minutes for yahoo mobile to load on my iPhone 5 while on a phone call. They had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. I was literally on the phone for over an hour kept talking about stuff that was not even relevant to the reason why I called. The rep told me that my data speeds are slow because I'm using a LTE phone in a 3G area.. Like I mean really??

I ran 3 tests yesterday on HSPA+ and got an average of 7Mbps down. Ran three tests in the same exact location on the phone and got .11Mbps, .05Mbps and .01Mbps. Talk and Surf at the same time?? Yeah right!

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
I actually called AT&T about that last night because I was really fed up that it took over 2 minutes for yahoo mobile to load on my iPhone 5 while on a phone call. They had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. I was literally on the phone for over an hour kept talking about stuff that was not even relevant to the reason why I called. The rep told me that my data speeds are slow because I'm using a LTE phone in a 3G area.. Like I mean really??

I ran 3 tests yesterday on HSPA+ and got an average of 7Mbps down. Ran three tests in the same exact location on the phone and got .11Mbps, .05Mbps and .01Mbps. Talk and Surf at the same time?? Yeah right!

The reps don't know. AT&T does it to save bandwidth. But its completely false advertising. I hope T-Mobile can put them to shame with the iPhone. AT&T can no longer advertise, "Only AT&T lets your iPhone talk and surf" hahahaha

Hopefully some people will post screen shots of the speeds during a call.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
My god, my speed tests are abysmal. Worse than when it was on 3G. What the heck Tmobile? :(

NYC.

What do you mean much worse than when on 3G? Are you on LTE? If your phone says 4G that is just because of the carrier update and you are connected the same as before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.