Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
M

Mr.damien

"The driver, who was accessing the phone for directions, argued that he had not been using the phone for talking or texting, which led to the newly expanded law."

Thank you *******.

----------

"The expanded law applies only to mobile phones, not to in-car touch-controlled navigation systems. "

Which are by far worst than using an iphone as the usability of those GPS sucks so much ...

Vegasman

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2010
"The driver, who was accessing the phone for directions, argued that he had not been using the phone for talking or texting, which led to the newly expanded law."

Thank you *******.

----------

"The expanded law applies only to mobile phones, not to in-car touch-controlled navigation systems. "

Which are by far worst than using an iphone as the usability of those GPS sucks so much ...

But those system have a mechanism that disables the device if you are moving.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
So, it's legal to use a Garmin mounted to the windshield.....but not an iPhone mounted to the windshield......

Actually, it's illegal to mount any such devices to your windshield in California.

There are two small spaces set aside as exceptions... but they're places no sane person would ever use to mount such a device. They're intended for FasTrak or parking passes or the like.

peb123

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
So I assume all those Police cruzers with those mobile units, and radio systems are not considered driving distractions? I can not tell you how many times I see a police officer driving down the highway looking at their mobile laptops. I am thinking the people enforcing these laws are total fools. No, I am not assuming, they obviously are...

Every time I see a cop driving they break a law. Speeding, lane changes without signaling, rolling stops...

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
Wait until California starts ticketing pilots for using iPads in flight!

denaliOnDubs

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
CO
I concur. Lol, I'm not sure if it would be safe to adjust my ac... Could be a distraction.

So, stay tuned for laws that prohibit turning on the radio, changing radio stations, operating the window cranks or buttons, etc. California...the nanniest of the Nanny States.

DoogieMedic

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2013
Does anti-texting apply?

So how does this ruling apply to this part of the vehicle code? It specifically allows a mapping display on a potential entertainment device. If I "install" my iPhone with a mount?

27602. (a) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle if a television receiver, a video monitor, or a television or video screen, or any other similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or video signal that produces entertainment or business applications, is operating and is located in the motor vehicle at a point forward of the back of the driver’s seat, or is operating and the monitor, screen, or display is visible to the driver while driving the motor vehicle.

(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to the following equipment when installed in a vehicle:

(1) A vehicle information display.

(2) A global positioning display.

(3) A mapping display...

----------

So, it's legal to use a Garmin mounted to the windshield.....but not an iPhone mounted to the windshield......

Hrmmmmmm

California Vehicle Code section 26708(b)(12) actually allows the mounting of a GPS on a windshield.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Actually, it's illegal to mount any such devices to your windshield in California.

There are two small spaces set aside as exceptions... but they're places no sane person would ever use to mount such a device. They're intended for FasTrak or parking passes or the like.
Technically one of those is on the inside of the lower left (driver's side) corner of the windshield, which isn't exactly a crazy place to have a device for navigation. It might make it a bit of a hassle for a right-handed person to operate the device when manual input is needed, but beyond that (since manual operation isn't something that the law would like you to involve yourself with anyway) it's a fairly reasonable place to put a device that you could glance at when needed (for navigation, etc.).

EddieCurrent

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Mac Rumors Has It Wrong...Everyone Calm Down

If you read the actual PDF that is linked from the article you will see MR left out an important point that makes all the difference to the story.

"each testified that, while driving, appellant was cited for looking at a
map on his cellular phone while holding the phone in his hand."

The law bars use of a mobile phone IN YOUR HAND.( I know this because I actually live in California). If your phone is on a mount and you touch the screen or interact, you will not get pulled over. That's why the Garmin units don't count. Because they are mounted in the car. I have even talked to police officers I know and they are looking for someone with a phone to their ear, in their hand or a their heads down operating something. They normally do not mess with someone touching something on their dash.

That doesn't mean it is any less distracting, it is just the way they enforce the law.

Some ass-hat in the state assembly is trying to get voice texting banned as well because it is "equally distracting".

That said I do agree with making things hands free. Why? Because of the number of times I have almost been run into and look at the driver and they have their heads facing their laps or are holding a phone to their ear. In fact I would say in my experience that 3/4 of the time some jackass almost runs into me they are frakking with a hand-held device of some sort.

And it isn't a nanny law. Technically a nanny law keeps you from doing something that would only harm yourself, like not wearing a seat belt. This law is meant to prevent you from KILLING another person because you couldn't put down your damn cell phone. That is fair. You cannot safely operate a vehicle with your head facing your lap.

MacRumors was sloppy in reporting this without providing the context to this story and clarifying how the existing law is enforced.:mad:

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
So, stay tuned for laws that prohibit turning on the radio, changing radio stations, operating the window cranks or buttons, etc. California...the nanniest of the Nanny States.

You left out the prohibition of eating listed under the banned nourishment activities while driving clause. Not joking, California will be the first. Be happy who you vote for.

gluckett

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
So, in jurisdictions where citizens are prohibited from carrying handguns in public, police officers also should be prohibited from carrying handguns in public?

Where do we draw the line on this belief that "it needs to work both ways"?

I didn't say that did I? I am saying that them staring down at their computers or messing with their cell phones while they're driving is just as much a hazard if not more since they're typically flying along a lot faster than everyone else.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
But the 80 year old guy with the map on the steering wheel going 65 is just fine.

----------

Ready for that California road trip this week:

Frosty drink in cup holder #1
Coffee in cup holder #2
Burger
e-cigarette
iPad on armrest
iPhone on knee
Bose Bluetooth unit in back seat
Monopoly board game on passenger's seat

Ready to hit the roads in Cali-for-ni-ayyy!

cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
I left California about 15-years ago. This is one more reason not to return.

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
If this is the kind of thing they're going to do then they need to make it a requirement for all new vehicles to have standard voice-guided navigation systems.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
But those system have a mechanism that disables the device if you are moving.
? The garmin I used to use for work didn't have any kind of lockout based on moving. It did say "Don't program while you are driving" but it wouldn't stop you from putting in addresses, etc. Which was nice since I usually didn't drive, my coworker did while I typed in the destination :)
And it isn't a nanny law. Technically a nanny law keeps you from doing something that would only harm yourself, like not wearing a seat belt. This law is meant to prevent you from KILLING another person because you couldn't put down your damn cell phone. That is fair. You cannot safely operate a vehicle with your head facing your lap.

Considering everything that can happen as a result of someone eating dirt from not using a seat belt (or other similar types of safety equipment), I wouldn't call it a nanny law.

You want an example of a nanny law, look to New York's failed drink ban.

Clean up of the site.

Hospital bills.

Emergency Services bills.

If you die, all other kinds of details have to be dealt with (What happens to any kids? Who now takes care of them, without your help? etc.)

Oblivion426

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
There is no single "California Court of Appeals." This article should state which court made the ruling rather than within the link to the opinion. They read the statute broadly to include any use of a cell phone that isn't in a hands free manner. I'm not sure what the problem is here.

Last edited:

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
I left California about 15-years ago. This is one more reason not to return.

Having lived in California all my life, I just do what true Californians are known for... ignoring the rules and doing as we please.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
How's this for a law: Keep your goddamn hands on the steering wheel while the vehicle is in motion?

If you're caught doing anything with your hands not pertaining to operating the vehicle (IE, touching the PRND1 or lights or windshield wiper controls are okay) while you're in the driver seat of a moving vehicle, you get a ticket.

Doing your makeup, texting, handling GPS units, eating, flipping the bird, etc, is not okay while driving, okay? Have someone else feed you and make your obscene gestures.

I'm sure there's already laws against trying to drive from a non-driver seat...

NOS2U

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
Last time I was on the freeway within the LA area, I was able to check my voice mail, text messages, e-mail, and call my mother while traffic only moved three feet! People can't do this while stuck in traffic now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.