Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Feb 24, 2011
A rMBP is the best device for me, but my dad would prefer a classic MBP with a hard-drive instead of optical drive, so he could have Fusion Drive there. He needs a comfortable amount of storage.

I hope they make that option available.

simply put in data doubler, hardwrk.com or whatever and do it yourself. why wait for apple?

----------

I wonder if the image retention feature will be included at no extra charge?

yes but only on some LG displays ;)

Suspended
Feb 24, 2011
If you're comparing the change from PowerPC to x86 it is clear that you know less that you were showing in your previous posts

Have a nice day, I give up.

A hint, PowerPC CPU's and x86 CPU's had similar performance

Well, while you are right about the performance differences etc., you're forgetting that apple has purchased an ARM design company and while it might not be an option for the current high-end models, it indeed might become an option for lower-end consumer computers. ...

Apple is experienced about switching underlying architecture, too and has proven this for multiple times already. Even though i'm not a fan of the idea switchting to ARM, it is reality already on iOS ... so ... the reality seems to be a lot closer to ARM than most of us might think.

----------

just plain meat and potatoes stuff, like excel, Word document and Powerpoint/Keynote presentations. Sure you can edit them somewhat from an ipad. But even a full blown Macintosh with Office for Mac installed, can't access the same formatting and data manipulation features that Office for PC offers.

could you kindly give an example for this? (i basically agree: also running office for windows in VM, but more because i like the UI from word for windows more than the one on mac ... i'm only using "standard" features so i was wondering which features you were referring to ...)

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
If Apple switches to make an Upgradeable rMBP has sense since they may need to build the retina display with the old design (using an extra glass layer as common screens), given the issues with current production low yield, also most PRO users for retina display wants to have he option of an Spinner Hybrid HDD, to have utpo 2TB data.

So has sense if apple Ditches current cMbp and rMbp and "fuses" into an some-upgradeable retina display (not as slim) unibody notebook with Hybrid HDD as well as SSD (memory-hdd upgradeable).

If the screen yield issue continues, current iMac may follow same backward re-design fate.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I don't want a Retina display in a MBA. It would eat thru too much battery and perhaps have ghosting problems. The screen is fine the way it is. Spend the extra money on more memory or larger flash storage.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
I don't want a Retina display in a MBA. It would eat thru too much battery and perhaps have ghosting problems. The screen is fine the way it is. Spend the extra money on more memory or larger flash storage.
Agreed. If I upgrade from my 2011 Air, it will be for things such as:
• USB 3
• Speed
• More RAM
• Better battery life
• Price

But not for a retina screen. In fact, Retina may push the price above what I'm willing to pay.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
That's how I read it, too. Perhaps Apple is close to introducing its own processor. If that happens, I think it would silence those who criticize Tim Cook as not being an innovative CEO.

Actually it would probably be credited to Jobs setting it up before he died.

Hmm, should I wait till then to upgrade....if I wait until then I would probably have to see what is coming after that.

Just Kidding.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Agreed. If I upgrade from my 2011 Air, it will be for things such as:
• USB 3
• Speed
• More RAM
• Better battery life
• Price

But not for a retina screen. In fact, Retina may push the price above what I'm willing to pay.

...So get a 2012 Air? It meets all your requirements.

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Sorry, but that 2nd sentence, just no...

Apple's external superdrive is grossly overpriced. However, you can find a number of 3rd party USB external drives that are both just as good and about half the price of Apple's.

$60 for a bus powered DVD Superdrive overpriced...sorry no unless ofcourse you're a barista at Ken Hortons in which case yeah it's a days wage.
I'll take a double/double..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.