Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppGratis
CEO Simon Dawlat today issued a statement about the recent removal of the AppGratis iPhone and iPad apps from the App Store, confirming that the apps were pulled for violating App Store guidelines 2.25 and 5.6, which state the following:
Guideline 2.25
Apps that display Apps other than your own for purchase or promotion in a manner similar to or confusing with the App Store will be rejected.

Guideline 5.6
Apps cannot use Push Notifications to send advertising, promotions, or direct marketing of any kind.
Dawlat explains that the AppGratis app was originally approved by two Apple reviewers, but a third reviewer pulled the app shortly after the release of the iPad version.
Early Monday, R. gave me a follow-up call. He basically couldn't go beyond repeating multiple times that our app had been pulled out due to guideline 2.25 and 5.6.

I asked how he and his team could have possibly changed their minds overnight, pretty much pulling the plug on a 45-person company. He seemed very detached regarding the gravity of the situation, and was unable to let me know on what specifics these decisions had been made.
Dawlat goes on to say that he remains in "absolute shock" about what is happening to AppGratis, but that the service is "far from finished."

AppGratis, he says, still has more than 12 million iOS users, and will continue to deliver new daily deals. Dawlat finishes his lengthy blog post with a plea, asking for readers to share the post and for an Apple executive to get in touch to further discuss the matter.

Article Link: AppGratis CEO Explains App Store Removal, Says AppGratis is 'Far From Finished'

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
AppGratis has been hit pretty hard with the Apple Banhammer, they are done.

Obviously someone high up, like Timmy has decided to ban this app. There is no coming back.

audio_inside

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2003
Boulder CO
Guideline 2.25's restriction on displaying apps "in a manner similar to or confusing with the App Store" obviously doesn't apply to AppGratis because, unlike the App Store, AppGratis' search and discovery function does not suck.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Apps like this should be web-based. Remove Apple from the equation and provide a great product. Admittedly web apps are not as great as native ones; however, they could go a long way toward providing a great product that can't just be rejected (except by consumers, of course).

thelink

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
'Far from finished' ehh? Tell me that after I rip a hook snap to the uppin' jaw if you know what I'm sayin'.

JPChicago

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
Chicago
I dont understand how they removed this but there are many other apps that promote free apps such as appshopper and others. These two I use the most I'd be disappointed if shopper gets pulled as well

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I dont understand how they removed this but there are many other apps that promote free apps such as appshopper and others. These two I use the most I'd be disappointed if shopper gets pulled as well

their own blog says they created apps for every country and broke the rules by spamming the app store

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I downloaded AppShopper way back when, and continue to use it to this day. It went in my Favorites folder and never left. I love the functionality of that service. AppGratis allowed me to keep track of the daily free app instantly with a push notification, and I can't tell you how many quality, useful apps appeared there. I'll keep using them both until either the service cuts out over the App Store, or Apple pushes them into history.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
When they submit to the app store, they agree to a contract and set of guidelines. Who cares if two people at Apple made a mistake, or if they have 45 people in their company? Keep your promises!

OwlBoy

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2003
Guideline 5.6
Apps cannot use Push Notifications to send advertising, promotions, or direct marketing of any kind.

Wait a sec, I have lots of apps do that. Simpsons Tapped out being one of them. "Hurry now for a discount on doughnuts" or some such stuff.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Wait a sec, I have lots of apps do that. Simpsons Tapped out being one of them. "Hurry now for a discount on doughnuts" or some such stuff.
Sounds like it's down to advertisement of other apps vs. advertisement of something related to being part of the app itself.

larrybeo

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Chicago
How Do You Navigate The App Store?

How do you guys navigate the App store? I use the Appshopper App - of course it's now gone but I thankfully still have it on mye phone. How else does Apple expect us to figure out the App Store MESS?!? Even if they added a "watch" function to tell you when apps drop in price it would be impossible to find apps to add them to your watchlist... It's impossible to find new Apps on there that don't get promoted...

I'm just dissappointed in this nonsense. Apple is sabatoging their own App Store.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Can someone explain this problem? I never have a hard time finding what I want on the AppStore. It's a little annoying with the side-scrolling interface, now. But I find apps all the time, easily. Keywords, company names, etc.

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Apple's search function on the store is almost abysmal, forcing very narrow search terms to get the desired hits, or very broad terms in order not to miss something good. There's no sweet spot like. Finding movies and books is the worst though. Many of the most prized apps I've found were via Google searches, then going over to the App Store to purchase.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
AppShopper was banned last year and has yet to return.
The AppShopper App has been on my iPhone and iPod touch for years and I didn't know it had been banned. So does this mean that when I upgrade to iPhone 5S AppShopper won't be transfered to my new device?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The AppShopper App has been on my iPhone and iPod touch for years and I didn't know it had been banned. So does this mean that when I upgrade to iPhone 5S AppShopper won't be transfered to my new device?

It should transfer just fine, and most likely you can still redownload it if you accidentally delete it. People who haven't bought it just can't get it. I still have Tris which was a tetris clone that got pulled in 2008, and have moved it from my iPod to an iPhone, to a newer iPhone. The biggest issue is no updates, but as long as the latest version is working fine that shouldn't be a problem.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
It should transfer just fine, and most likely you can still redownload it if you accidentally delete it. People who haven't bought it just can't get it. I still have Tris which was a tetris clone that got pulled in 2008, and have moved it from my iPod to an iPhone, to a newer iPhone. The biggest issue is no updates, but as long as the latest version is working fine that shouldn't be a problem.

The biggest issue is whether or not they will be able to keep up what the app does now that it's on the **** list. This has daily deals. Some of them are just standard deals that even Apple announces, others are pretty unique. A little worried that they'll lose reason or ability to keep it up.

Which is no doubt why Dawlat is making public statements.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
They have 12 employees and not one was able to read the T&Cs ?

They aren't nice but are quite clear. Which is why our company stopped developing iOS apps and goes Android only or creates Web apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.