Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

yahoo.jpg
The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Apple and Yahoo have been discussing how to integrate Yahoo's services more prominently in iOS, beyond powering the Weather and Stocks apps.

Yahoo also provides sports scores to Siri, but Yahoo has significant content deals related to news, sports and finance that could be tapped.
Data from Yahoo Finance and its weather site already come preloaded onto iPhones and Yahoo data like sports stats help power Apple's voice-activated "assistant" Siri. But the companies continue to discuss new arrangements, including possible deals to get more content from Yahoo Sports and Yahoo News, among other Yahoo Web properties, preloaded onto Apple devices or available through an expanded partnership with Siri, one of these people said.
The WSJ also says Yahoo would like to provide search results to Apple in Safari, but Microsoft's Bing search engine currently powers Yahoo Search and Apple has a long-term deal with Google as the default engine on iOS.

The paper did note that no deal is imminent, and negotiations appear to be in the very early stages. Former Google executive Marissa Mayer took over as the CEO of Yahoo recently and has been focusing a lot of energy on Yahoo's products and content, rather than its traditional strengths in advertising.

Article Link: Apple and Yahoo In Talks Over Deeper iPhone Partnership

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Way to partner with a winner. Yahoo is about as popular as Alta Vista.

Let's see...
Android is going to have a Facebook phone and Apple is going to have a Yahoo Phone.

I hear Netscape is looking into getting in on the action as well.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Two of the three major competitors in the mobile hardware space both own and operate their own search engine. If Apple doesn't want to get into the search business, at least strengthening their ties with Yahoo makes good business sense to me.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I was one of the few people still using Yahoo — and enjoying the experience — until they recently destroyed their front end by pandering to the lowest common denominator of "news" junkies. Now, the Yahoo home page is crammed with celebrity scandals and link bait.

Perhaps an iOS/Yahoo partnership would look different. I'll reserve judgment until I see what they come up with, but I don't have high hopes.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
You sure about that?

Yahoo Search is Bing; it isn't even a Yahoo product.

faux_yahoo.png

Everything else it does is a clearing house for other people's content. Finance, weather, TV, etc all comes from someone else. Yahoo itself doesn't actually produce anything.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I haven't used them in years. Be nice to see more integration though. Choice is good and not something you usually get from Apple :)

Out of curiosity, how much is yahoo worth now and are they still a target of acquisition ?

Silmarien

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Can they discuss about updating the horrible weather app. We are stuck with it on the notification bar so they might as well vamp it up.

Wordman

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Apple, you start putting Yahoo on your phones and Samsung win another customer.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
This is one of the things I love about Apple and iOS. Because Apple isn't trying to compete in every single thing on the web, they can and do partner with others and everyone wants to be on the iPhone. Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter, you name it. I don't have to worry about turf squabbles like Microsoft and Google users are going through on WP and Android.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
Apple, you start putting Yahoo on your phones and Samsung win another customer.

Seriously though, if I ever see "Yahoo Search", or "Bing Search" on my iDevices, I'm out the door.

If for some inexplicable reason I wanted to go to Bing or Yahoo, I'd go via Google. Pretty much sums up those alternatives for the majority, I'd imagine.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Way to partner with a winner. Yahoo is about as popular as Alta Vista.

Let's see...
Android is going to have a Facebook phone and Apple is going to have a Yahoo Phone.

I hear Netscape is looking into getting in on the action as well.
AltaVista was actually one of the great search engines of its day--and it was actually acquired by Yahoo!, so they are technically one and the same. ;-)

Netscape was also a great browser until it was simply pushed out by Internet Explorer as it got bundled with Windows and overshadowed Netscape just on number of "installs" by default. (With AOL at the helm of Netscape later on, didn't help either.) Then there's Mozilla and Firefox, all of which got its start with Netscape pretty much, and they are doing just fine these days.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Unless Mayer creates a Steve-Jobs-like turnaround for Yahoo, I'll stay with Google.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Seriously though, if I ever see "Yahoo Search", or "Bing Search" on my iDevices, I'm out the door.

If for some inexplicable reason I wanted to go to Bing or Yahoo, I'd go via Google. Pretty much sums up those alternatives for the majority, I'd imagine.

They're only taking about the default search. You can already change which search engine Safari uses in Settings.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Ah, so this is what Marissa and Jony were discussing last month. :D

kTY9M.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.