Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mets3214

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
I exchanged my Iphone 5 today for a new one at the apple store because of a faulty power button. After restoring my backup, it asked me to enter passwords for my all my email accounts. Everything was going well until gmail says that "the connection to the server failed", I've tried deleting the account and starting it again but it still doesn't work. It worked when I set it up as gmail instead of exchange but I really need the push email, I also deleted and restarted the account on my old Iphone 4 just now and it worked perfectly. What seems to be the problem?

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
I exchanged my Iphone 5 today for a new one at the apple store because of a faulty power button. After restoring my backup, it asked me to enter passwords for my all my email accounts. Everything was going well until gmail says that "the connection to the server failed", I've tried deleting the account and starting it again but it still doesn't work. It worked when I set it up as gmail instead of exchange but I really need the push email, I also deleted and restarted the account on my old Iphone 4 just now and it worked perfectly. What seems to be the problem?

If I remember right google cut off the exchange setup of gmail accounts about a month ago. So when you changed device it will not accept the gmail as an exchange server. If you need push as I understand you will have to download the gmail app from the app store. I just checked the date and it was January 30th that they quit supporting exchange.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
Will complete restore by iTunes remove Gmail exchange association ?

Not sure on this question. I was waiting to hear that someone had deleted a gmail account and tried to set it up as exchange to verify that google had cut it off and seems that way. The only way I know for sure would be to try. At some point you will have to do a full restore and so you might as well try and see.

I think at some point they will force all of us to us the gmail app.

On a side note I found out that they have quit supporting google sync for windows. So in the near future the only way we will have to sync outlook with google is to use google apps.

mets3214

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
I deleted all my other email accounts thinking it would help but it didn't so now my exchange email for my school wont setup and gives me the same error message that it can't connect to the server. My phone just cant setup any exchange email

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I deleted all my other email accounts thinking it would help but it didn't so now my exchange email for my school wont setup and gives me the same error message that it can't connect to the server. My phone just cant setup any exchange email

Then you're doing something wrong. I have my work exchange set up and running on my newly replaced iPhone 5. However I lost my gmail exchange, as stated here. There's no going back for gmail, however your school exchange should remain unchanged.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011

Just finished setting up my school email on my wife's iPhone with not problem make sure you have all the info you need such as "server", domain, etc.

mets3214

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
I'm doing it the same way I've always done it and its not working. Domain is blank, server is m.outlook.com and I enter my username and password. It also keeps saying that my password is incorrect when it all worked perfectly on my previous iphone 5 and iphone 4, this is frustrating!

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
I'm doing it the same way I've always done it and its not working. Domain is blank, server is m.outlook.com and I enter my username and password. It also keeps saying that my password is incorrect when it all worked perfectly on my previous iphone 5 and iphone 4, this is frustrating!

I have always put the actual server address as :xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

What ever those numbers were for my server. Not sure when you put the .com address. I also have always had to put the domain

veliko

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2013
Microsoft Exchange not working on iPhone 5 and therefore cannot sync Google contacts.

HERE IS THE SOLUTION that I hope works for you as well....

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-sync-google-contacts-to-iphone-2012-9?op=1

Background: Here is the solution since Google stopped support of Exchange in February 2013 for any new device – including iPhone5. All I wanted to do is keep my Google contacts in sync with the phone. There is no problem with Gmail because all you have to do is add your Gmail account.

It took me days to find this link WHICH IS THE SOLUTION I needed! I previously went to the Apple Store as well as the Microsoft Store with no resolve. Apple said it’s a Microsoft Exchange problem and Microsoft told me it’s an Apple phone.
If this helped, let me know.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
HERE IS THE SOLUTION that I hope works for you as well....

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-sync-google-contacts-to-iphone-2012-9?op=1

Background: Here is the solution since Google stopped support of Exchange in February 2013 for any new device – including iPhone5. All I wanted to do is keep my Google contacts in sync with the phone. There is no problem with Gmail because all you have to do is add your Gmail account.

It took me days to find this link WHICH IS THE SOLUTION I needed! I previously went to the Apple Store as well as the Microsoft Store with no resolve. Apple said it’s a Microsoft Exchange problem and Microsoft told me it’s an Apple phone.
If this helped, let me know.
Not really a solution for mail for those who are used to (and want) push support for Gmail, for example.

franrisquez

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
Not really a solution for mail for those who are used to (and want) push support for Gmail, for example.

Hi, just had a similar issue with my new iPhone 5; I just connected to a Wifi network and don't use you cellular data plan to add my Gmail account; it worked inmediately. I was also having problems with an outlook.com account, and it was solved after I used my Wifi network. Just don't use your data plan to connect to your Gmail account. By the way, as it was added, now the Gmail account works also with cellular data plan. Hope this helps.

----------

Hi, just had a similar issue with my new iPhone 5; I just connected to a Wifi network and don't use you cellular data plan to add my Gmail account; it worked inmediately. I was also having problems with an outlook.com account, and it was solved after I used my Wifi network. Just don't use your data plan to connect to your Gmail account. By the way, as it was added, now the Gmail account works also with cellular data plan. Hope this helps.

jsf721

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Li, NY
So you are saying that you could set up the exchange email on your phone by using the wifi only and then turning on the cellular it worked perfectly correctly as exchange?

That is geat news if I undersatand you correctly.

Thanks

----------

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.