Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The first reviews for Facebook Home, the social network's new Android home screen experience, are out. Home isn't quite a "Facebook Phone", but it also isn't a full-fledged operating system. It slots right in between the two segments.

facebookhome.jpg
Dieter Bohn of The Verge details the two main components of Home:
Facebook Home essentially consists of two parts. The first is Facebook Home proper (henceforth "Home"), which replaces your homescreen and your lockscreen with Facebook's News Feed and app launcher. The second is a major update to Facebook Messenger which lets you receive and reply to texts no matter which app you're using.
Bohn mentions that the Chat Head feature, which overlays Facebook Messenger chats over any app a user may use, was a highlight.
The difference in immediacy and convenience is huge. What Facebook has figured out is that people usually have messaging conversations with somebody for a little while, but are doing other things on their phone while they do it. Being able to reply without losing your sense of place is incredibly convenient.
Walt Mossberg of AllThingsDigital thought that the two-pronged set-up was simple to use.
I found Facebook Home to be easy to use, elegantly designed and addictive. Although I'm a regular Facebook user, I found that, with Home, I paid more attention than ever to my news feed, Liked items more often and used Facebook's Messenger service more often. So, if you are a big Facebook fan, Facebook Home can be a big win.
Although The Verge says that Home's simplicity also hurts it as it lacks key Android features like Widgets and Folders. They also mention that although Home has its own version of notifications, most apps do not support it and default to Android's notification pane. Both Bohn and Mossberg conclude that although Home is simple-to-use and addictive, only Facebook fans should take notice as it lacks key features for most smartphone users.

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg previously said that bringing Home to iOS would not be as easy as it was on Android because Android is "open" and Facebook would have to go through Apple and its existing relationship with the company while they don't have to go through Google for Home.

Facebook Home will be available to download for select Android devices (Samsung Galaxy SIII, HTC One X, HTC One X+ and Samsung Galaxy Note II) on April 12th for free. HTC and AT&T will also be offering the HTC First, a $100 smartphone that will have Home preloaded.

Article Link: Facebook Home Reviews: For Facebook Fans Only, Addictive, Too Simple

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Something about that Zuckerberg icon always makes me burst out laughing.

Kind of reminds you of "Tom"...

Seriously though. I think I like some of the concepts that Facebook is introducing here. A people/interaction centric device vs. an app centric device has merit. Seems like the 1.0 version is lacking, but if they can build on it, they could have something.

Frank Gore

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
Not sure what kind of phone that is but it reminds me a lot of the 1st generation iPod Touch

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Seriously, kids don't use facebook anymore.

It's either twitter, instagram or snapchat... not facebook.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Kind of reminds you of "Tom"...

Seriously though. I think I like some of the concepts that Facebook is introducing here. A people/interaction centric device vs. an app centric device has merit. Seems like the 1.0 version is lacking, but if they can build on it, they could have something.

This really isn't too far off from what WP8 is at its core. You can see twitter and facebook feeds from specific groups that you choose without ever opening apps. That's what WP8 is really all about.

----------

Epic failure. I'm totally content with my FB app and would never buy a phone geared around it.

This isn't a phone, it's a launcher. Able to be used on several phones.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'm surprised the reviews are so positive.

I feel like this will be a fad kind of thing... it'll be neat for a while, just like Facebook Chat was, but then people will go back to other things and only occasionally appreciate it.

sundragon

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Washington, DC

I disagree with everything you've said. :(

My 15 year old niece is on it 24/7
My friends who are from 20s to 40s are on it 24/7

I still wouldn't recommend Facebook Home to anyone as it's a waste of time and productivity (data mining security/privacy issues aside)

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.

Yup. Or even something else - but not FB - that's for old folks now. FogieBook ;)

Very happy this won't be coming to iOS. I don't want any single app to take over - especially FB. I don't even have the preference login set up on my iPhone. Just the regular app.

That being said, I do think that going for a more people centric experience over simply an app centric one could be very compelling. That's the part of it that is in fact interesting. We'll see with the next rev of iOS or even the one after what Apple plans to do. iOS app grid is geting a bit stale five years on now.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
What's a FB?

All jokes aside, this looks pretty neat (for the addictive user) and I would definitely give it a try if I had a FB. :)

----------

Hate that guy.

What has he done to you that caused you to hate him?:confused:

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
I like the concept but I feel it will work better for something like twitter. A constantly updating twitter home screen is far more useful than a Facebook feed. I don't know about other users, but my feed doesn't have much change within a few hours. Not enough for me to miss out on something.

hugo7

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
No interest in FB but...

this is a seriously smart move by the Facebook team and it looks very slick on those Android devices. Forget about bringing out a dedicated phone. Just provide a new launcher to 'own' so many existing devices. Great strategy.

I've no interest in ever using Facebook, but credit where credit is due.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
What's a FB?

All jokes aside, this looks pretty neat (for the addictive user) and I would definitely give it a try if I had a FB. :)

----------

What has he done to you that caused you to hate him?:confused:

You know, very well...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.