Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaczor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2006
Hi, I bought a Mac Mini last saturday, had some problems setting it up with my Time Machine backup but after a fresh install everything is well, except for the fact that I can't download OSX ML from the App Store to make a bootable USB drive.

When I try to purchase it (which is odd because I already paid for it when I bought this mac), I get this: "We could not complete your purchase. OS X Mountain Lion is not compatible with this computer.".

Has anyone had this problem? is there a way to fix it? I tried Apple support but they couldn't figure it out, the only option they gave me was to do a restart, then hold cmd r and install it from there on my usb drive, but this will take a long time and I have to be quick to stop it after it finishes the download because after it is installed it deletes itself.

I could just download it from a torrent site though, would this cause any issues because it's "pirated" or does it work the same as the "legit" one would?

Thanks

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Mac models that have always shipped with Mountain Lion installed can't use the App Store installer.

You do have to do recovery. Install onto a USB disk. When the Mac reboots quickly turn the Mac off and remove the USB disk. Then power on normally and once the Mac has booted reconnect the USB disk. The .dmg should be on the USB disk.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I seem to remember the shipped version of ML with new minis differs slightly from the retail version so perhaps thats why?

Maybe in time it will be updated?

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
I seem to remember the shipped version of ML with new minis differs slightly from the retail version so perhaps thats why?

Maybe in time it will be updated?

Yes that would be why. Once 10.8.3 comes out if that's a build for all models then it might work, but not with the current special build situation. If you keep an eye on it you can still get the .dmg doing Internet Recovery

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
How is it different than the normal retail version?

Special build with drivers etc. for the new machines.

Once a new build 10.8.3 is made hopefully drivers etc. for all machines will be included and this build will be put on the App Store. Currently 10.8.2 is what is available at the App Store.

The build you download from recovery ATM will probably only work on the new machines it was made for.

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
Problems D'Ling ML from App Store

I've been having no success trying to DL ML from the App store. I have a 2012 MBP and understand that I am due a free copy if I want one. But every time I try to get it the store pops up a message that says that I have "Updates available for other accounts" and then says the account belongs to:
agarwalshantanu6@gmail.com. This is not me nor is it anyone I know.
Anyway I don't get the download(or anything else) because my account appears to be locked.
Anybody else have this problem?

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I've been having no success trying to DL ML from the App store. I have a 2012 MBP and understand that I am due a free copy if I want one. But every time I try to get it the store pops up a message that says that I have "Updates available for other accounts" and then says the account belongs to:
Anyway I don't get the download(or anything else) because my account appears to be locked.

Where did you buy your machine? It sounds like your machine had a previous owner who's Apple ID is blocking you because you don't know it's password. If you bought this new... someone gave you a used machine instead. Give us more info so we can advise you.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
But every time I try to get it the store pops up a message that says that I have "Updates available for other accounts" and then says the account belongs to:
Your account isn't locked. The error message is correct; you have apps on your computer purchased with another account. This commonly happens when you have pirated apps on your computer. Delete those and the App Store will work properly.
EDIT: Searching for that email address in Google seems to indicate you have a Mountain Lion installer already downloaded somewhere on your computer- delete that. (It checks external disks too.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.