Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
According to the article below, Ron Johnson didn't just implement Jobs' vision, but talked Steve into giving things a different twist than originally envisioned.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...le_stores_as_targeting_creative_professionals

On CNBC yesterday they were knocking Johnson's time at Apple basically saying anyone could sell Apple products, that the products sell themselves. What's ironic about that is when Apple first announced they were going into retail most people said they were crazy and it wouldn't work. Now they're saying people would buy Apple gear out of a garbage can.

I don't think Johnson gets enough credit for what he did at Target and Apple. Problem is JCP isn't like either of those stores and has a different demographic. By trying to change JCP's demographic he alienated current customers. And didn't have the merchandise or store design to being in new (younger) customers.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
People keep forgetting that when Steve came up with the retail idea, it was first and foremost Ron who didn't think it was such a good idea. Nobody actually believed that one could be successful by opening up a store which only sells 4-5 products.

Svend

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Nothing like paying a CEO 53 million to decrease revenue by 4 billion. I'd take that job, too.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
You validated my argument... somewhat.

I'm sorry...say WHAT? Apple's retail operation had dozens of competitors, as have their various hardware lines.

I say "had", because Apple effectively wiped many of them out.

On the retail side, they competed with everything from Circuit City and CompUSA to Amazon and Newegg, not to mention BestBuy, Staples, etc.

Their hardware lines have competed with the likes of Dell, HP, Lenovo, Sony, Samsung, HTC, Microsoft, RIM, Motorola, Creative, etc. etc. etc.

Perhaps I should have expanded my premise. When I said very few competitors, I meant this:

With iOS they basically compete with Android (Samsung realistically), and to a lesser extent Blackberry and Windows.

With OSX they compete against PC's (multiple vendors yes, but they cannibalize each other just as the multiple Android vendors).

In today's environment someone will either choose to purchase an iOS device or an Android for example. If they choose Android, then they decide on the brand.

Same with PC's. It's either OSX or PC. If PC, then they decide on a brand.

That's what I meant by few competitors. No one else runs iOS/X.

As for RJ, he did a great job at Target. He may have had more success trying to make JCP more like Target than Apple. I doubt anyone would have success trying to duplicate that.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
As for RJ, he did a great job at Target. He may have had more success trying to make JCP more like Target than Apple. I doubt anyone would have success trying to duplicate that.

Well whatever good he did at Target or Apple he sure didn't do for JCPenney. I can see why he got fired after reading this article. He burned through everything they had and now they are trying to find cash to keep going. RJ left JCP a bleeding mess and I'd be surprised if it ever recovers at this point.

I sort of think Ron Johnson ended up with a case of "Michael Cimino" after all of his success at Target and Apple. If you have no idea what I am talking about do a little research on Cimino and see how after winning the Academy Award for the "Deer Hunter" United Artists gave him everything he wanted for "Heaven's Gate" because a Cimino film was a sure thing. "Heaven's Gate" cost so much and received such poor reviews and sales it broke United Artists.

http://www.businessinsider.com/jcpenney-bleeding-cash-2013-4

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
One thing that JCPenney should do is make the exterior of their stores more attractive. They usually look dreary and the large windows that used to display mannequins and ads are painted over with dirty black paint >>

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
He made a lot of mistakes. Read the ny times article.

I would not want him to return to apple. The stock might come down even more...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
He made a lot of mistakes. Read the ny times article.

I would not want him to return to apple. The stock might come down even more...

He made one fatal mistake and that was changing pricing before he re-designed the stores and brought in new merchandise. How the board ever signed off on that I'll never know.

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
He made one fatal mistake and that was changing pricing before he re-designed the stores and brought in new merchandise. How the board ever signed off on that I'll never know.

Yes. I never shopped at JC Penny- but I know that he really was trying to do too many things at once.

Another mistake was him not re-locating to the company's headquarters. It shows others within the corporation that he was not truly vested enough into the work that he was doing.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yes. I never shopped at JC Penny- but I know that he really was trying to do too many things at once.

Another mistake was him not re-locating to the company's headquarters. It shows others within the corporation that he was not truly vested enough into the work that he was doing.

Yeah all that executive travel from east/west coast should not have been tolerated by the board. A condition of employment for the executive team should have been relocating to HQ.

Apparently the stores that were re-designed were doing quite well. Hopefully JCP does t completely abandon the concept. Going to a Kohls wannabe has fail written all over it. You can't compete with a company that gives its stuff away. I know someone who works at Kohls and their merchandise comes off the truck already marked down 40%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.