Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Would be nice for file transfers across the network though?

This is what most people don't understand or think of. If we are talking Internet, 802.11b would probably suffice for the majority of the world... I, for one, am looking forward to wifi being a viable file transfer method. Of course, files are growing with speeds too!

jb510

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Does anyone here have a connection faster than 300mbps? :rolleyes:

I find it novell when people make comments like this...

Obviously very few outside Kansas City have home broadband connections above 300Mbps. There is however a HUGE population of folks that now have NAS, Media Centers, Time Capsules, and multi-computer homes and offices where this is a HUGE benefit.

I just moved and while I ran gigabit ethernet throughout most of the old house I wasn't looking forward to doing that again. 11ac will mitigate that need until 10Gbit ethernet comes the the consumer market which I expect is still 3-5 years away.

Further this new article is great for me. I was about to by an rMBP a few months ago but decided to hold of specifically to wait for built in 11ac. Here's hoping that comes in October...

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Remember, this AC iteration has not been ratified, and so far the specifications are only up to Draft 5.0, will full ratification not till about 2015 - "IEEE 802.11ac is a wireless computer networking standard of 802.11, currently under development (Draft 5.0), providing high-throughput wireless local area networks on the 5 GHz band. Standard finalisation is in late 2012, with final 802.11 Working Group approval in early 2014. According to a study, devices with the 802.11ac specification are expected to be common by 2015 with an estimated one billion spread around the world"

Therefore I would not be rushing out to buy AC hardware when the specification has not been ratified. Remember, 802.11n took 7 years to be ratified and many customers got peeved because they bought draft hardware which was not compatible with future versions. I thought we all would have learnt from this by now. Therefore, I will hold off until full ratification.

MacSE87

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010
beamforming techniques would increase signal strength and range

Although speed increase with the new 802.11ac is the feature most focused on, for me the most practical will be standardized beamforming techniques used to improve transmission over range. Vanilla 802.11n sends out signals in all directions. 802.11ac would be able direct/focus the energy towards the connected device, resulting in better signal strength and range.

I'm still running a 802.11g network, on a WiFi base station from 2001. Apple standardizing new hardware would make this an opportune time to start switching over to 802.11ac.

:) Cheers.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
It's about time

Even some Android phones already support 802.11ac (for example, HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4).

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
A lot of those things still connect to a remote IP server. Don't expect anything amazing.

Do you know the difference between a Wan and a Lan? Lan by definition means
"Local". He's talking about local tranfers. :rolleyes:

MacSE87

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010
Will be good to keep track and follow so we're all educated consumers of this new tech. When you choose to purchase depends on many factors, but never hurts to know more.

An overview of Apple and the 802.11 family of Airport/WiFi technologies is the AppleInsider article from January 2012:

Apple working to adopt 802.11ac 5G Gigabit WiFi this year

Good review of how Apple helped to popularize the use of WiFi. It's over a year old, but Apple history/evolution is still fun to read.

I'm looking to upgrade to a new Haswell/802.11ac/Bluetooth4 Mac; currently on a CoreDuo/802.11g/Bluetooth2 Mac. If Apple switches to 802.11ac this year, then all the new hardware introduced this year will begin to migrate to it. (Macs, iOS devices [including AppleTV], Airport base stations, Time Machine, etc)

Need to start saving. May watch and see which 3rd-party base station will be most compatible with new Apple gear, instead of buying a genuine ABS. My 12 year old 802.11g Linksys still working well. :D

Cheers :)

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Yeah, I have Gigabit fiber. Although I live in Japan.

That's beside the point though. What I want is faster LAN connectivity which is what this provides. Right now, downloading from steam I get about 4-5 megabytes (bytes not bits) per second over wireless, but plug in an ethernet cable and that immediately goes up to about 25-30MB/s. If I could cut the need for the cable, it would be great, especially for rooms in my house where there's no socket.

We've got fibre rolling out gradually in NZ and the biggest obstacle isn't the wireless or LAN but the crappy international capacity that NZ has to the outside world with one player (Southern Cross Cable) got the nation by the balls.

Regarding the wireless technology - it doesn't really matter a hill of beans given that the distance that such technology can coverage is endemic at best - unless you're sitting the same room then I wouldn't expect things to get much better than they do today.

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
Not to mention, as Wifi ac becomes more popular. Computer to computer transfers will be amazingly fast. And dont forget if the iPhone 5S has wifi ac than syncing wirelessly will be bearable.
Once one buys a new WAP, which will be pricey at first for sure. And new computers to get the newer standard. Oh and then a few months later once a dozen neighbors are using it too, the interference will shoot it all to hell anyway.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Wow, big surprise, Apple is continuing to support advancing 802.11 standards.

This is newsworthy.

:: yawn ::
Seriously? These responses are getting so tedious.

No one knew whether or not Apple would include AC wifi in the next refresh. This is an interesting rumour, get over it.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Does anyone here have a connection faster than 300mbps? :rolleyes:
I'm personally looking forward to it simply because it's 100% intended for the less congested 5 GHz band. With 802.11n you're often not sure what kind of performance you're going to get, simply because of the prevalence of 2.4 GHz-configured routers (and many don't even support 802.11n on 5 GHz).

So this is not just a "450 Mbps on a single antenna!" sticker, but also "I'll always do 5 GHz for you!" one. It's a pretty nice seal of confidence.

----------

Wow, big surprise, Apple is continuing to support advancing 802.11 standards.

This is newsworthy.

:: yawn ::
Meh. Obviously they advance support for standards and technology, but are you seriously not interested in hearing when they do so? If not, what's the point of MacRumors? Only want the big news? Maybe you should look for a less niched site.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
What's with some of these comments? A short article saying 'apple will do this... Here's the evidence' is exactly what we come to macrumors for isnt it? Why are half the people commenting with 'yawn'?

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I'm pleased that Apple are soon to release models with the updated wifi though wonder whether the networking accessories will be updated too. I'm putting off buying a desktop until the updated models are released.

I still find it intriguing that Apple TV wasn't updated with it when they had the silent update earlier in the year. Makes me suspect that something bigger is due for Apple TV this year. It may just be that it will be updated with ac wifi next year but I sense something else is afoot and that the current model is in preparation for something bigger/ more capable. Otherwise, why not wait until June and release the ATV with new wifi and the new processor?

After all, ATV is one of the hardware items for which faster wifi would really help.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Although speed increase with the new 802.11ac is the feature most focused on, for me the most practical will be standardized beamforming techniques used to improve transmission over range. Vanilla 802.11n sends out signals in all directions. 802.11ac would be able direct/focus the energy towards the connected device, resulting in better signal strength and range.

I'm still running a 802.11g network, on a WiFi base station from 2001. Apple standardizing new hardware would make this an opportune time to start switching over to 802.11ac.

:) Cheers.

I wish them all the luck with building in directional antenna's in Apple's (Almost) all aluminium MBP-MacPro's-MacMinis-iMacs.
Don't you think the engineers wouldn't have done that by now if it works well.

----------

As for ac, hope they already built in support in some of the machine's and do so like last time, a Wifi n enabler.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
As someone that recently purchased an Asus 802.11ac Router. Yay! :D

Bring on the rMBP refresh Apple. I'm ready! :p

stol

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
Greece
Is it possible that a single 5GHz antenna on a 802.11ac chip would yield higher operating temperatures? I'm asking because sometimes I can feel the hotness of the airport card on my macbook.

Correct me if I'm wrong please...

ElTorro

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
Another unexpected news:
Future Macs will be using Intel's next generation processors.

God, talk about stating the obvious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.