Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

k3nny

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
I'm not getting this to work... not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Can I use this standalone (i.e. without installing anything else from Bootcamp)? I copied the two files from the 4.1 version from K3nny and then ran the registry updater, but I still can't view any HFS drives. Using Win 7 64-bit on a pure Windows machine.

Yes, they are meant to be used standalone. Have a look at the Disk Management app. It is possible that you need to assign a letter to the drive first. Otherwise feel free to try the previous versions.

MonsterMac

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2013
Troubles

Yes, they are meant to be used standalone. Have a look at the Disk Management app. It is possible that you need to assign a letter to the drive first. Otherwise feel free to try the previous versions.

I too have followed the steps in the instructions - the first time I got some bad files and the addmerge didn't work but the files posted by EdSaxman seem to be working but I am still unable to access any files on my FreeAgent mac drive - it recognizes it in the devices and printers section of windows Vista but i can't do anything more with it - HELP !! lol

----------

I too have followed the steps in the instructions - the first time I got some bad files and the addmerge didn't work but the files posted by EdSaxman seem to be working but I am still unable to access any files on my FreeAgent mac drive - it recognizes it in the devices and printers section of windows Vista but i can't do anything more with it - HELP !! lol

oh and where would I find the disk management app and/or how do I change the name to add the letter ?

k3nny

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
... oh and where would I find the disk management app and/or how do I change the name to add the letter ?

Try following these steps. You will see an overview with all available drives and partitions and will be able to assign/change the letter if you do a right click on the HFS partition.

klaxce

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2013
FIX for Win7 HFS Not showing up at all

First: A big thanks to everyone for releasing the drivers and registry mod!

So I had copied the .sys files into the drivers folder more than once, and it even offered to overwrite them, but every time I looked, the files weren't there. So I figured they weren't actually copying. I used an admin shell and copied them that way, and it worked perfectly.

Start, search "cmd", right-click, choose "Run as Administrator"
When the cmd window pops up, type:

"copy" space "full path to folder\Apple*.sys" space "C:\Windows\System32\drivers"​

and it should copy both files (\Apple*.sys tells it to copy both the HFS and MNT files). For me it was:

copy C:\AppleHFS\x64\Apple*.sys C:\Windows\System32\drivers​

d9ca5d745c588eca0cde47721807b2da306d7750.jpg

2e5236d58ee1fcd52267b133ce929a9992693250.jpg

Let me know if this helped anyone :D
(Don't forget to still run the "AppleHFS_Add.reg" and then reboot)

Ps- Sorry the images are so huge, but I feel they are necessary
Image links just in case: http://bayimg.com/LanAHaaEM & http://bayimg.com/lANAkAaeM

Reactions: Smartcom5

MickChandler

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2013
Guys, why not just install Paragon HFS+ for Windows? I'm with him from autumn 2012 and all works very well, without fail.

klaxce

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2013
Because Paragon HFS+ for Windows is $19.95 and I just need to pull all the data off this drive once and then wipe and reformat it NTFS.

If you need write support on Windows, then absolutely, but for a free read only driver, I can spend 10 minutes getting it to work.

& Yes, I could just use their free trial, but then I'd have to uninstall it, and why bother? Now I've got a read-capable driver for the future too, you never know when you might need to copy a HFS drive.

arsenik

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2013
So I tried to install this on my moms computer. And it looked like it was going smoothly. Got to the restart portion. So I did. Now it won't reboot. It just gets stuck in a boot loop of "Windows Loading Files" and a progress bar that completes but won't advance past it. Followed the directions to a T. Can someone please help me?!?

----------

So I tried to install this on my moms computer. And it looked like it was going smoothly. Got to the restart portion. So I did. Now it won't reboot. It just gets stuck in a boot loop of "Windows Loading Files" and a progress bar that completes but won't advance past it. Followed the directions to a T. Can someone please help me?!?

Dell Latitude E5500

spiralof5

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
Try following these steps. You will see an overview with all available drives and partitions and will be able to assign/change the letter if you do a right click on the HFS partition.

This may be an old thread but DO NOT DO WHAT K3nny suggests. Changing the drive letter in Disk Management will **** up your partition tables and will leave you with a useless drive on both Windows AND OS X. How do I know? IT HAPPENED TO ME (Thanks a ****ing bunch you doucher). I had to use testdisk to restore the partition table.

k3nny, delete that post.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
Thanks for sharing this, coincidentally stumbled across this after looking for something but not sure what, i recently got rid of an old mac and copied all data to my external hard drive, replaced with a windows box i plugged in my drive and it wouldn't be picked up.. i'm sat thinking what do i need to make it work, i visit MR and this thread is right there in my face:D

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
Some time ago I found the 3.2.0.2 drivers thanks to this thread, and in gratitude, I would like to contribute with this update:

Apple HFS Read Only Driver v4.0.2.0.zip

They are extracted from Bootcamp 5.0 for MBP 2012. Includes 32 and 64 bit version.

The rest of the content is exactly the same as in the Quad5Ny original zip.

Tested in Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

Enjoy! ;)

Does this work with Windows 8.1.1? Is this still the latest version?

keybounce

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2005
What is the latest 32 bit driver for Vista?

I'm going to be stuck with a time machine disk and no laptop for the weekend

keybounce

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2005
Some time ago I found the 3.2.0.2 drivers thanks to this thread, and in gratitude, I would like to contribute with this update:

Apple HFS Read Only Driver v4.0.2.0.zip

They are extracted from Bootcamp 5.0 for MBP 2012. Includes 32 and 64 bit version.

The rest of the content is exactly the same as in the Quad5Ny original zip.

Tested in Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

Enjoy! ;)

Ok, I installed the 32 bit drivers from this file, into my mother's vista machine.

I have verified that the registry settings are in there (I had to run regedit as an administrator to get them to import).

I have verified that the files are in windows/system32/drivers

The drive is USB.

It shows up as a 200 MB EFI partition, followed by a 465 GB raw primary partition.

No data.
Drive has 4 partitions inside that 465 GB.

Help? Please?

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
If you are using Windows 10 with a version older than 6.0 please update because older versions break the VSS (Volume Shadow Copy Service)

See First Post for latest version.

---

This is the Read-Only HFS+ driver that comes with Boot Camp 5.1. It can be installed on any (64-bit) Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 machine without the need to install the Boot Camp package (and also easily removed if necessary).

Attachments

• Apple_HFS_Read_Only_Driver_v5.0.0.1.zip
    46.7 KB · Views: 727
Last edited:

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
This thread is outdated, don't do.

BootCamp 4 has a working applehfs.sys driver for W7.
BootCamp 5 has a working applehfs.sys driver for W8/8.1.
I did not test the BootCamp 6 applehfs.sys driver but I did read it works with W10.

I use Paragon HFS+ ( the free version for Windows 8/8.1 ) with Windows 10 now. This is a read/write driver and it works for me.

Last edited:

doynton

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
This thread is outdated, don't do.

BootCamp 4 has a working applehfs.sys driver for W7.
BootCamp 5 has a working applehfs.sys driver for W8/8.1.
I did not test the BootCamp 6 driver. I use Paragon HFS+ ( the free version for Windows 8/8.1 ) with Windows 10 now. This is a read/write driver and it works.
I just tested BootCamp 6 driver and it works ok on 10 (no VSS errors).

I use the paragon one also though.

GhostRaider

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
I don't want to use Paragon HFS+ because it corrupts my OS X parititon. For some reason it doesn't like the fast boot option. With Apple's HFS+ drivers, I don't suffer from this problem. I don't need writing capabilities. How does one extract the HFS+ driver from boot camp 6?

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
I don't want to use Paragon HFS+ because it corrupts my OS X parititon. For some reason it doesn't like the fast boot option. With Apple's HFS+ drivers, I don't suffer from this problem. I don't need writing capabilities. How does one extract the HFS+ driver from boot camp 6?

If you have not done already, read about fast boot and what it is. Fast boot can cause serious issues.

NigelD

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
Note that installing the appleHFS drivers in this way will stop the windows 10 Shadow copy service from working which prevents many backup programs from working see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6874035 This could be fixed by setting the permissions in a similar way to this. Otherwise the appleHFS service can be temporarily disabled when doing a backup, or only temporarily enabled when it is needed.

Reactions: Quad5Ny

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Note that installing the appleHFS drivers in this way will stop the windows 10 Shadow copy service from working which prevents many backup programs from working see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6874035 This could be fixed by setting the permissions in a similar way to this. Otherwise the appleHFS service can be temporarily disabled when doing a backup, or only temporarily enabled when it is needed.

You are absolutely correct about VSS (good catch). Apple fixed the bug in Bootcamp v6, updated drivers below.

mkaen

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
I just upgraded to Windows 10 and am using the latest driver. Now I cannot load image files from hfs+ disks. There is an error in the default app on load. However if I first copy them to the win disk, then I can open them.

Any else encountering this? Never had such an issue on win7.

doynton

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
I just upgraded to Windows 10 and am using the latest driver. Now I cannot load image files from hfs+ disks. There is an error in the default app on load. However if I first copy them to the win disk, then I can open them.

Any else encountering this? Never had such an issue on win7.
Sounds like you need a read/write driver but as you don't describe the error at all it is just a guess.

If you can read files from HFS partition when signed onto Windows, and copy them to your Windows partition and it works, then most likely you have only installed bootcamp driver which is read only. Try Paragon - it is free.

You are absolutely correct about VSS (good catch). Apple fixed the bug in Bootcamp v6, updated drivers below.
Bootcamp v6 version of AppleHFS.sys causes BSOD when using external drives with HFS+ partitions. Best not to use any version of it on Windows 10 at the moment.
Code:
BugCheck 139, {3, ffffd0018c13e460, ffffd0018c13e3b8, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for AppleHFS.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for AppleHFS.sys
Probably caused by : AppleHFS.sys ( AppleHFS+1720 )

Followup:  MachineOwner
---------

3: kd> !analyze -v

*                       Bugcheck Analysis                                     *
KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
A kernel component has corrupted a critical data structure.  The corruption
could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this machine.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000003, A LIST_ENTRY has been corrupted (i.e. double remove).
Arg2: ffffd0018c13e460, Address of the trap frame for the exception that caused the bugcheck
Arg3: ffffd0018c13e3b8, Address of the exception record for the exception that caused the bugcheck
Arg4: 0000000000000000, Reserved

Debugging Details:
------------------

BUGCHECK_P1: 3

BUGCHECK_P2: ffffd0018c13e460

BUGCHECK_P4: 0

TRAP_FRAME:  ffffd0018c13e460 -- (.trap 0xffffd0018c13e460)
NOTE: The trap frame does not contain all registers
Some register values may be zeroed or incorrect.
rax=ffffe001d7f2a560 rbx=0000000000000000 rcx=0000000000000003
rdx=ffffe001da585be0 rsi=0000000000000000 rdi=0000000000000000
rip=fffff801db711720 rsp=ffffd0018c13e5f0 rbp=0000000000000000
 r8=ffffe001d8b932a0  r9=00000000000007ff r10=ffffd0018bfa38a0
r11=ffffe001c41003b0 r12=0000000000000000 r13=0000000000000000
r14=0000000000000000 r15=0000000000000000
iopl=0  nv up ei ng nz na po cy
AppleHFS+0x1720:
fffff801`db711720 ??  ???
Resetting default scope

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.