Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

officelogo.jpg
ZDNet has shared a roadmap it received from a source who claims it is the timetable for Microsoft's plans for both the Mac and iOS versions of Office.

The map says a new version of Office for Mac will arrive in April 2014, while the long rumored Microsoft Office for iOS and Android will arrive next Autumn, in October 2014.
I do not know how old this purported roadmap is, but my contact indicated it was likely current as of the start of 2013. I asked Microsoft Office officials for comment on the alleged roadmap, but they declined to do so.
The most recent report, from this past December, suggested that Apple and Microsoft were in negotiations over revenue share as part of Microsoft's Office 365 subscription service that launched in January. Apple wants the standard 70/30 split in revenue that is part of its developer license agreement for every developer.

Microsoft itself has leaked references to Office Mobile for iPhone, Excel for iPad, and PowerPoint for iPad, making clear that Microsoft does have iOS versions in the works.

Article Link: New Office for Mac to Come Next Spring, Office for iOS Not Arriving Until Fall 2014?

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
It seems like it would be hard to get Office into an iPad App.. It must be for review purposes mostly. How often do you use Numbers or Pages on you iPad?

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
2014 for iOS? Boy it's taking them a really long time. It should have been released a long time ago.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
I won't be upgrading. Outlook 2011 was borked out of the gate and MicroSlop refused to fix it. I'll stick with iWork.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
It seems like it would be hard to get Office into an iPad App.. It must be for review purposes mostly. How often do you use Numbers or Pages on you iPad?

I use Pages on a regular basis on my iPad. If Apple can do it, so can Microsoft. It doesn't have to be 100% functional.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Office is becoming irrelevant. The iPad has flourished despite not having MS Office and that's an encouraging sign. The days of Microsoft software being a "must have" for success are over.

Today people just care about having some sort of import/export capability and are comfortable with non Microsoft solutions.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I hope it finally has Version support....and gestures.....and generally works with my OS.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
can't wait! i actually like ms office, but not their subscription service...

Office 365 is Mac Office 2011; basically just a different way to pay for it. At least for now...

2014? Wow, that's only seven years later after the iPhone was introduced...

Why, pray tell, would someone be editing an Office doc on an iPhone? iPad I see, iPhone not so much.

I won't be upgrading. Outlook 2011 was borked out of the gate and MicroSlop refused to fix it. I'll stick with iWork.

Any more details? We're looking at switching to Outlook 2011 for calendaring compatibility...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Surface shows some talented touch UI work. If the extra time means they're rethinking the experience to make it truly touch-centric and user-friendly (in a way Office never has been, including on Surface), it could be worth the wait. Plus they probably want the new re-thinking (if any) to show up on Surface first.

(I'm imagining something like what Adobe did with Photoshop. They reorganized and rethought the same features--well, a lot of them--and ended up with something better than a "port.")

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
For personal users Office is already not necessary on a Mac. Sure some students and business types still need it, but for a pretty large chunk of folks iWork or any of the open source programs will work just fine.

And they are just embarrassing themselves at this point with Office for iOS. MS just needs to come out and say they don't want to release it because at this point that is the only possible explanation for why it isn't already out.

scotty321

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2003
And crickets chirped.

In the meantime, we breathlessly await Apple's next move... have they completely abandoned iWork altogether?

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan

I use both regularly to run my business. They do (almost) everything I need so I don't even require MS Office anymore. I just wish that Apple would improve compatibility between the mac and iOS versions of iWork.

RHutch

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2003
Amsterdam, OH

I use Numbers on my iPad every day, for tracking vehicle mileage for business purposes and for keeping track of some bowling records. (Both would be better done with FileMaker Go, but Numbers works.) I don't have pages for iOS yet, but will probably get it soon.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
2014 for iOS? Boy it's taking them a really long time. It should have been released a long time ago.

It's funny you should say that, I met with some MS reps in the fall of 2010 and they hinted that Office for iPad was under development, or at least being strongly considered at that time. 2014??? They don't move too swiftly, do they? :)

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
And crickets chirped.

In the meantime, we breathlessly await Apple's next move... have they completely abandoned iWork altogether?

They just updated it back in December.

I use both regularly to run my business. They do (almost) everything I need so I don't even require MS Office anymore. I just wish that Apple would improve compatibility between the mac and iOS versions of iWork.

Amen

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Not only could it be fully functional but perhaps even better than the desktop versions.

But it'll never happen because the type of people who work for a company like M$ are only there to collect a fat paycheck. They prove it year after year with their fail-safe "compromise until the product is embarassingly awful" business model. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.