Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andi*pandi

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
Thanks so much for posting this fix. I was able to restore sound to our PowerPC G5 Powermac... considering this is the machine I bought Minecraft on, and played beta on, I was a little surprised to read the dismissive comments about ancient machines at the mojang bug report site. Minecraft was originally touted as a "play anywhere" game.

Here's to having sound back!

Works with Minecraft 1.5.1!

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Thanks so much for posting this fix. I was able to restore sound to our PowerPC G5 Powermac... considering this is the machine I bought Minecraft on, and played beta on, I was a little surprised to read the dismissive comments about ancient machines at the mojang bug report site. Minecraft was originally touted as a "play anywhere" game.

Here's to having sound back!

Works with Minecraft 1.5.1!

Too bad that minecraft 1.6 will drop PowerPC completely.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Too bad that minecraft 1.6 will drop PowerPC completely.

Don't think so... There will always be a workaround. The current MC client is not PPC, but the older clients are PPC. MC should stay working as long as we use the older clients.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Read the wiki. They're using java 1.6. No java SE6 binary has ever been compiled for PPC.

Read the wiki(minecraft wiki) for more info on this.

I bet someone will compile a Java SE6 binary, Minecraft is one of the most popular games in the world, someone will find a workaround, just like when Flash 11 was ported to PPC.

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
This is a little off topic but has anyone been able to successfully install optifine on powerpc lately? I used to have older versions work with the mod but I am not able to anymore.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
I bet someone will compile a Java SE6 binary, Minecraft is one of the most popular games in the world, someone will find a workaround, just like when Flash 11 was ported to PPC.

No one ever ported flash 11, someone just hacked flash 10 to identify as flash 11. The (extremely few) flash 11 functions will NEVER run on PowerPC.

No one will compile JSE6 becuase there's no profit potential. Before you shout "what about LINUX, it's FREE!" There's profit in some OpenSource projects, like linux. Look at who writes most of the code for it, and see what I'm talking about.

You're being hopeful.

And MC Sucked after the 1.7.3 Beta anyway.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Unfortunately this fix does not work on Minecraft 1.6 as it is now completely unsupported for PPC. I will keep this thread updated if someone finds a fix.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
I can now confirm that this works on 1.5.2 (the newest PPC compatible version) but not 1.6 since it is not compatible with PPC.

crowriver

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2014
Should work with 1.5.

Thanks for posting these instructions. My son has the audio issue on his PowerPC G4 (running OSX 10.5.8) , though Minecraft runs perfectly in all other respects.

I implemented your fix, and alas it doesn't seem to work. He is running 1.5.2, and after using your fix I launched the game, logged in and Minecaft made me wait while it updated. I presume the update overwrote the 'new' old sound files I just fixed? Or did I do something wrong (eg. do I need to restart the Mac)?

Any ideas how to work around this updating issue and/or fix the 'white noise' sound in 1.5.2?

Finally, we are being prompted to manually update to 1.6. I presume this is not a good idea on a PowerPC G4?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

crowriver

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2014
Just a thought: could I be having this issue because of multiple users set up on the Mac? Is the fix specific to one user (in my case the admin)? Or should it work on multi-user setups?

I will try this fix logged in as my son and see what happens differently (if anything).

UPDATE: Okay, it was the multiple user setup.

Please note, if you have more than one user on your Mac, you need to implement this fix for each user if they want their Minecarft audio to work. You can navigate to the relevant folder easily using the Finder, just click on Users, then 'username', then Library, Application Support, minecraft, bin and proceed as above.

My son is pleased with the fix!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.