Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
Just because you don't use their email (or services) or don't really know anyone personally that does, doesn't really mean anything for the vast majority of other people that you don't know. As far as mail, and some other services, it's actually the number 1 provider as far as userbase goes. Granted, out of such vast numbers of users there are going to be some with issues, but the vast majority are just fine, as is the case usually with any large service provider.

That may be true, but their back end support, i.e. handling of spam complaints has become so difficult for anyone to do that it simply not worthwhile. Coincidentally I noticed a large increase in replyto addresses held at yahoo when this policy came in, and I still see that happening. Because of their policy its become almost a safe haven for criminals.

sexiewasd

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Back in Your Head
Dude if you did a blind comparison, you probably wouldn't know the difference. Try for yourself. Moreover, in some ways Bing is better. For instance, Google has copied Bing's image search format. When it comes to a web search, most times I couldn't' tell the difference. Bing has come a long way.

I consistently choose the google provided links when ever I search for anything technical in nature, mostly programming related searches. That is one area that could be improved. I still use Bing though, mostly because I can no longer trust Google.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
http://mail.yahoo.com or even http://www.ymail.com is somehow hidden or complicated? Most people know how to get there (just like most using Gmail can and do quickly go to http://www.gmail.com or even http://mail.google.com).

Go to yahoo.com. Try to get to mail. Half the time there's only some form of quick-look menu. And that's after you are logged in.

Plus, it doesn't work well with iOS Mail app, I took my yahoo account out of there.

Not well designed. Glad it's my junk email address.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Yahoo was huge in the 90's, I still have an email although I rarely use it. I would like to see them come back.

I also really liked excite back then also.....and I used netscape navigator.

SilianRail

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
Tim Cook doesn't get the vision thing.

Adding some Yahoo adware will increase short term profit by $3.53/phone! But people pay extra for Apple products to not have garbage preloaded. Even worse, Yahoo just isn't cool. 12 year old girls are going to be turned off. Tim should take over at JC Penny's if he wants gimmicks to eek out small profits.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Go to yahoo.com. Try to get to mail. Half the time there's only some form of quick-look menu. And that's after you are logged in.

Plus, it doesn't work well with iOS Mail app, I took my yahoo account out of there.

Not well designed. Glad it's my junk email address.
Not sure what the issue is. Across a few different computers (running different OS and browsers) I have no issues getting to Yahoo! mail following the mail links on the Yahoo! home page or going directly to Yahoo! mail at http://mail.yahoo.com. Doesn't really seem like there's an issue there.

ghstmars

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2006
It is all about Siri

It seems like the recent purchase of Summly ( 30 mill. to a company owned by a 17 year old h.s kid ) was all about the underlining tech. The tech was develop by SRI, the company behind Siri and has a similar tech. It is even being called "Yahoo's Siri". I think this is apple's and yahoo's way to get at google.
I like the direction apple is going with this .

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-marissa-mayer-bought-a-30m-startup-2013-4

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Yahoo is the worst service ever. My email has been compromised by them multiple times and I get spam requests on messenger all the time. I really hope they do NOT do this. I would be impressed if they were trying to get rid of yahoo for everything except mail. I mean the weather app is so inaccurate and basic because of yahoo.

This and the reason I stopped using them many years ago. And can they PLEASE fix the weather PLEASE..... Last week it was pouring raining for two days and the app showed partly cloudy with no rain in sight, urrggg..:mad:

Speaking of which can someone recommend a better weather app....

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
When was this happened? Try it today, I'm telling its looking great and works well too.

But important Yemail continues to go directly to Spam and Trash folders, even when the sender is in my Contacts.

And when ABC partnered with Yahoo, all sorts of problems arose with reading news articles. Further, accessing an ABC news article results in a #@#$%^& Netflix pop-up ad. GIVE ME A BREAK!

Wordman

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Yahoo has always been on the iPhone.

Granted. But not to the extent that the article suggests is under consideration. That would be bad.

I remember when I had a PC, running Windows (shudder). Yahoo was a complete pain to remove. That's left a bad taste in my mouth, and I always want the option to have nothing to do with Yahoo.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Granted. But not to the extent that the article suggests is under consideration. That would be bad.

I remember when I had a PC, running Windows (shudder). Yahoo was a complete pain to remove. That's left a bad taste in my mouth, and I always want the option to have nothing to do with Yahoo.
"Remove" exactly what from Yahoo! and exactly from where?

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
This and the reason I stopped using them many years ago. And can they PLEASE fix the weather PLEASE..... Last week it was pouring raining for two days and the app showed partly cloudy with no rain in sight, urrggg..:mad:

Speaking of which can someone recommend a better weather app....

I use The Weather Channel (TWC) app alongside dark sky. Dark sky is a somewhat expensive app though and it only talks about precipitation. I like that the radar is pretty and that it can alert me but other than that it is too simple for $4 imo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.