Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DYER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
Hi everyone, I've tried googling and searching and I am at the point where this is actually going to drive me mad.

I have a 2012 macmini with 1tb fusion drive.
I need to get windows running, quite urgently. I have an "new" original XP SP2 copy OEM and a brand new Windows 8 upgrade (but cave created a full install disc and USB). Both with original and unused keys.

Bootcamp allows me to create a partition fine, which is good. I am creating one about 58gb.
Next I tried my luck at installing windows 8. After not even being able to get to the installation part with the USB I created a windows 8 disk and this allows me to get to the install. But at 26% every time the setup freezes. I cannot get any further, I let it go on for 8 hours but it never gets past it.at this stage I have to delete the partition and try again but no joy.

Anyway. As a result of this I bought another copy of xp.
This is even worse. After using the well documented system of tricking bootcamp into creating the partition with the windows 8 disk I tried to install.
I insert the disk it starts loading stuff and every time I get the same error.

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage...........
Technical information:
***stop : 0x0000007b (0xf78d2524, 0xc00000034 , 0x00000000 , 0x000000000)

Please someone help me. I have never been this perplexed by a windows install but I just can't work out what I am doing wrong,

Any help would be appreciated no end!

DYER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
Bump...
Does anyone have any ideas?

Also has anyone here had success installing windows on a Mac mini with a fusion drive as I am starting to suspect this may be part of the issue...

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Hi everyone, I've tried googling and searching and I am at the point where this is actually going to drive me mad.

I have a 2012 macmini with 1tb fusion drive.
I need to get windows running, quite urgently. I have an "new" original XP SP2 copy OEM and a brand new Windows 8 upgrade (but cave created a full install disc and USB). Both with original and unused keys.

Bootcamp allows me to create a partition fine, which is good. I am creating one about 58gb.
Next I tried my luck at installing windows 8. After not even being able to get to the installation part with the USB I created a windows 8 disk and this allows me to get to the install. But at 26% every time the setup freezes. I cannot get any further, I let it go on for 8 hours but it never gets past it.at this stage I have to delete the partition and try again but no joy.

Anyway. As a result of this I bought another copy of xp.
This is even worse. After using the well documented system of tricking bootcamp into creating the partition with the windows 8 disk I tried to install.
I insert the disk it starts loading stuff and every time I get the same error.

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage...........
Technical information:
***stop : 0x0000007b (0xf78d2524, 0xc00000034 , 0x00000000 , 0x000000000)

Please someone help me. I have never been this perplexed by a windows install but I just can't work out what I am doing wrong,

Any help would be appreciated no end!

Windows XP would not be supported on a 2012 Mac mini, so the blue screen is expected. A 7b STOP error is unable to locate a valid hard disk. There is no workaround for this unless you get creative with slipstreaming drivers or want to connect a USB floppy disk to the Mac mini and hope it recognizes it and presents it to Windows XP during boot, and install the mass storage controllers on a floppy disk. But even that will unlikely work.

It sounds like your Windows 8 USB flash drive is corrupt. I would try redownloading Windows 8 and recreate the USB flash drive.

Reactions: DYER

DYER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
solved

Windows XP would not be supported on a 2012 Mac mini, so the blue screen is expected. A 7b STOP error is unable to locate a valid hard disk. There is no workaround for this unless you get creative with slipstreaming drivers or want to connect a USB floppy disk to the Mac mini and hope it recognizes it and presents it to Windows XP during boot, and install the mass storage controllers on a floppy disk. But even that will unlikely work.

It sounds like your Windows 8 USB flash drive is corrupt. I would try redownloading Windows 8 and recreate the USB flash drive.

You Sir were spot on!
Thank you so much.
I don't no why I didn't think to try a different disk but it just didn't cross my mind!
The USB was a lost cause and did not work. I created a second DVD on a better disk and sure enough it installed perfectly!

Thank you for explaining the XP error as well! Your insight was very much appreciated! You saved me from a lot more headaches!

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.