Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krzyglue

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
Seriously, kids don't use facebook anymore.

It's either twitter, instagram or snapchat... not facebook.

Honestly I see precisely this sentiment throughout so many online blogs and what not – Facebook is no longer hip, relevant, etc etc. Now I won't invoke the whole argument that the blogosphere / tech-writers often seem to live in their own little bubble, but in this case it's difficult not to.

My own personal anecdotal experience, as an undergraduate student at a large university in the centre of a large metropolitan city, says the complete opposite. Yes I and my friends all very extensively use the full gamut of social networks (well except Google+, no one except the aforementioned tech-writer group uses that), and of course this is inclusive of Facebook. Yet while the latter may not be very "hip" anymore, it nevertheless is the *primary* and in many ways the *indispensable* network. It is the de facto social network, full stop. To underestimate its significance then, is a colossal mistake. I speak for myself of course, but I firmly believe that I speak for a wide swath of my friends as well, if not the vast majority.

Last edited:

sundragon

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Washington, DC
one could argue Facebook itself is a massive waste of time too! :)

OMG, it is!!! :D

----------

My two boys don't use it at all. Other people I know don't use it or use it sparingly. Just pointing out that there are differences among different people.

----------

Interesting. Give me the age group of the people (aside from your boys) - That may have something to do with it.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
My own personal anecdotal experience, as an undergraduate student at a large university in the centre of a large metropolitan city, says the complete opposite. Yes I and my friends all very extensively use the full gamut of social networks (well except AOL Messenger, no one except the aforementioned tech-writer group uses that), and of course this is inclusive of MySpace. Yet while the latter may not be very "hip" anymore, it nevertheless is the *primary* and in many ways the *indispensable* network. It is the de facto social network, full stop. To underestimate its significance then, is a colossal mistake. I speak for myself of course, but I firmly believe that I speak for a wide swath of my friends as well, if not the vast majority.

There you go, I made a few adjustments to what we were all hearing about 10 years ago.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
There you go, I made a few adjustments to what we were all hearing about 10 years ago.

MySpace failed because News Corp didn't know how to manage the product, and better options (Facebook) showed up. It wasn't just because people lost interest. Facebook is doing far more to remain relevant, and it's doing a far better job. The two examples have a number of key differences that make their success stories far too differentiated to group into the same category.

----------

Semantics...Pfft.

Hardware, software....what's the difference, amirite?!

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
Honestly I see precisely this sentiment throughout so many online blogs and what not – Facebook is no longer hip, relevant, etc etc. Now I won't invoke the whole argument that the blogosphere / tech-writers often seem to live in their own little bubble, but in this case it's difficult not to.

My own personal anecdotal experience, as an undergraduate student at a large university in the centre of a large metropolitan city, says the complete opposite. Yes I and my friends all very extensively use the full gamut of social networks (well except Google+, no one except the aforementioned tech-writer group uses that), and of course this is inclusive of Facebook. Yet while the latter may not be very "hip" anymore, it nevertheless is the *primary* and in many ways the *indispensable* network. It is the de facto social network, full stop. To underestimate its significance then, is a colossal mistake. I speak for myself of course, but I firmly believe that I speak for a wide swath of my friends as well, if not the vast majority.

Thanks.. the tech blog sphere is just its own little bubble where trends come and go, but are not necessarily indicative of future trends outside of that bubble. Tech bloggers are sometimes first to a new tech, but just as often they're late comers to something that just takes off in the mass market.

My own experience in the streets in SE Asia is that everyone and his brother and sister is using facebook.

For comparison: Instagram is pretty popular, meaning not only geeks know it. But for every 1 person who know what Instagram is there are about 100 people who've never heard of it but are using facebook on their phones incessantly.
In a popular weekend holiday spot where I live the 3G networks break down every weekend - from hundreds of thousands of facebook uploads of whatever they're eating, landmarks, etc.

Tech bloggers never get the whole "mass market" thing.

10 years ago people who owned the latest gizmos were also the ones who at least knew about if not read tech blogs (maybe engadget at the time)

Today, people who decide whether a new technology succeeds or fails are people who have never heard of TheVerge, and who might not even own a PC.

Elit3

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Crapp!

Okay, so, let me explain myself before I post. I am an open-minded android guy (previously had two different iPhone, yes iPhone, I think that should be the plural). And I download and tried this on my N4 (perfect size for the launcher), before FB shut the leak down.
And I utterly HATE it. It closes android COMPLETELY, it sucks. Android fanboy's arguements include "customisation". This simply has NONE apart from what Facebook gives you. You can't even have a custom background, you have to have FB pics of friends.
Secondly, it has digressed android back to REALLY buggy days, days of Froyo, with bugs, force closes, and doesn't stay as home screen. What I mean is if I click multitasking button it will show up, so if I close it it screws the phone for 5 minutes. This may be because it is a leak, but a leak that only happened days before release. And frankly, that isn't good enough, I downloaded a leak of the new S-voice and it is basically done, and S4 is months from release. I am sure if Apple products were leaked it would be 100% ready for use. Release (today) will not change much, and will still be Android 2.2 .
Thirdly, IT USED 50MB IN 7 hours, this may not seem like much, but I usually use 300MB a month, watching YouTube, streaming other videos, catching up on new, facebook pics, playing videogames, even hotspots. And so it is a really battery drain and data drain. I would never go near HTC First as a phone for myself.

Anyday of the week I would choose iPhone, even iPhone 4 over this crap, even if I had 172361284768 paid apps on Google Play. Very bad move for the ever falling company, HTC. RIP HTC.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I read none of the comments here...

Please keep this garbage off of my iPhone. Thank you.

How quickly we forget that FB integration was a major selling points of one of the recent iOS updates... The irony is thick here.

Elit3

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
How quickly we forget that FB integration was a major selling points of one of the recent iOS updates... The irony is thick here.

Good point, but this isn't iPhone + FaceBook this is FaceBook+more FaceBook.

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY

Facebook integration is not the same thing as replacing the main user interface with Facebook.

This is the equivalent of booting a computer and instead of getting a Finder or Windows Explorer, getting Facebook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.