Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommyminahan

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
This dock makes perfect sense for me since I have a 2011 17" MBP with only a single TB port. I daisy chain video device and TB storage but the video device in the end of the chain only has a single TB port so I cannot also hook up a monitor. With this dock I can hook up all my devices and use a second monitor plus be able to use USB3 drives which was the one thing making me itch to upgrade my MBP. With this dock I can extend the life of my current laptop at least a couple of years and connect everything I want to connect.

Actually, this dock only has ONE Thunderbolt port as well.

People seem to be missing the fact that the other TB port is used to make the initial connection.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Solving a massive problem for me as well, with a 2011 iMac with just a 265 SSD and bootcamp.

But, how soon is soon? :)

That's exactly my question. I have a MacBook Pro with a 500 GB HDD but it's not proving to be enough. I'm eyeing upgrading to a 1 TB drive but if I could just put my BootCamp drive externally, I might be good with the 500 GB drive. I could potentially even go to a 256 SSD instead and reap the huge speed increases.

repoman27

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011

People seem to be missing the fact that the other TB port is used to make the initial connection.

Yeah, but last time I checked, ONE plus ONE equals TWO ones. People were complaining because the Matrox dock really does only have ONE Thunderbolt port, and thus it's a chain ender.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
That already works on the 15-inch MBPR. The 13-inch only has Intel HD 4000 graphics which can only drive 3 displays (the built-in one and up to two externally).

Yes, shouldn't be a problem.

fhall1 is using the HDMI port on the mini to drive one display, so the dock would be able to drive the other just fine off of one of its Thunderbolt ports.

To try to clarify the limitation, Thunderbolt devices that allow daisy chaining only have a single display output, so they can only drive one directly connected panel. The Apple Thunderbolt Display is itself a daisy chainable Thunderbolt device and the one panel it can drive is built in. Additionally, if you plug a conventional (non-Thunderbolt) display into a Thunderbolt port, it also ends the daisy chain.

That's what I was hoping...now I'll let someone else be the guinea pig when they actually try it with physical hardware. :)

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
This is starting to look more realistic... but why only 2 USB ports, and while your at it, where is the eSata port?

Either make a basic Thunderbolt to USB hub, or one with all the ports I'll need?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
So disappointing. Every time I see a link to a story about a "new dock" then click on it only to find a hub I am sad. A dock is something that you can plug your laptop into, and have the peripherals automatically connect, and power automatically fed to it. It should hold the laptop as well.

What you are missing is that those types of Docks are only good for a particular design. You know what that means? You end up like me with 3 docks sitting around your house from old laptops you no longer use. I have one for my old Lenovo T61, then my Lenovo M410 and now my HP 8460p. Everytime I upgrade, I have to buy a new dock. Using these docks, I can use them with my current 2011 Macbook Air, and then when I buy the 2013 rMBP I'll still be able to use it. Completely different laptops with completely different chassis, but guess what? I CAN STILL USE THE SAME DOCK.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
bleh HDMI wont go down well if its anything like the shoddy one on the rMBP. Would have preferred an extra mini displayport for monitors only. The henge dock due out later this year still looks like the best option for rMBP owners.

----------

What you are missing is that those types of Docks are only good for a particular design. You know what that means? You end up like me with 3 docks sitting around your house from old laptops you no longer use. I have one for my old Lenovo T61, then my Lenovo M410 and now my HP 8460p. Everytime I upgrade, I have to buy a new dock. Using these docks, I can use them with my current 2011 Macbook Air, and then when I buy the 2013 rMBP I'll still be able to use it. Completely different laptops with completely different chassis, but guess what? I CAN STILL USE THE SAME DOCK.

It wouldnt be too difficult to come up with one for the mac laptop line though given the design/shape tends to stay the same for a good few revisions. The upright henge ones did this pretty well, hopefully they (or someone else) can eventually figure out a way of doing that with a horizontal dock.

In an ideal world there would be a 'docking standard' with a single thunderbolt port and a locking mechanism on the back to 'slot' into.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
It wouldnt be too difficult to come up with one for the mac laptop line though given the design/shape tends to stay the same for a good few revisions. The upright henge ones did this pretty well, hopefully they (or someone else) can eventually figure out a way of doing that with a horizontal dock.

In an ideal world there would be a 'docking standard' with a single thunderbolt port and a locking mechanism on the back to 'slot' into.

But you would still be locked into one chassis. You couldn't switch between Macbook Air and Macbook Pro like I am doing this summer could you?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
But you would still be locked into one chassis. You couldn't switch between Macbook Air and Macbook Pro like I am doing this summer could you?

Probably not unfortunately.

(Before I start, I dont pretend to have a clue about what I'm talking about here so take it with a pinch of salt :p)

Theoretically, it would be possible to have a docking station adjustable in both the width (i.e to accommodate wider/narrower laptops) and depth (if that would even be needed. The biggest problem would be the thickness of the actual dock, where it attaches to the laptop as the Air is a lot thinner. If someone could work that part out, it (again theoretically) should be doable.

Taking the concept of the henge one, you could modify it to 'spring load' then provide the option to swap ports around (A bit like their vertical dock does) for different models, and maybe make each port height adjustable. It'd likely still take a genius to get this working across all models tho, but as long as you can get power + thunderbolt, thats all you'd really need access to.

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009

That's the point. A lot of TB only have a single port which means no more daisy chaining. With this having two it can be part of the daisy chain which means a lot of potential TB devices.

Also with TB the monitor has to be the last item in the chain. If any other devices are an end chain device that means no option to use a second monitor. With this device having two TB ports I can continue to daisy chain and use HDMI for a second monitor. I no longer have to unhook TB devices based on if I want to use my video device or a second monitor.

As far as I am aware there is no such thing as a TB device with three ports. Kind of silly since you can daisy chain devices. The only use would be if you had more than one device with a single port like the FW800 adapter and another device that terminates the chain. Honestly with the addition of USB3 as well I may not even use TB for storage anymore since it is a total waste of money compared to USB3. I already have a Seagate TB drive dock however so I may just keep using it.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Yeah, I know. It's a little more stylish in my opinion, has HDMI out and is $100 cheaper! How much more could you ask for?

Actually, e-SATA and FW800 ports would be nice. I love the style of this, but I wish it included these other two ports.

Certainly when the first docks were announced, there was a lot of discussion about Intel demanding very high licensing fees to 3rd party manufacturers who wanted to create thunderbolt peripherals. This seems like a pretty odd strategy if you're trying to drive adoption of a new standard, and I don't know if things have changed since then...

Actually I thought this one looked quite reasonable. It's the first hub I've seen that I'm actually half considering buying.

This and the Sonnettech dock/hub look both appeal to me. I just wonder about the thermals for the Sonnettech, since it can house a hard drive and an optical drive in it.

You can buy this dock and use the Firewire adapter on one of its Thunderbolt ports. Considering nobody else is offering what you want, that seems to be a good option. I have the adapter, it is barely thicker than FW800 connector, so the combination won't take up much space or look ugly on your setup.

I thought of this too, and your solution works well unless someone also needs e-SATA. Then, well ..., but I still like it.

Hear, hear. For me, FW as well as one more TB port would have completed it, but everything else about this dock, including size and price, make this one a winner. I was wondering about that too. Their website also doesn't mention if the required power adapter is included.

Good question.

Still the best dock out there yet.

Yep.

http://www.caldigit.com/thunderboltstation/ThunderboltStation.html

Unless the specs are wrong on their product page, they did make all three USB 3.0. Even with no additional ports (FW400/FW800, eSATA, VGA) this is probably the best Thunderbolt dock that is (about to be) on the market given the cost. If it turns out this works with simple, low-cost USB 2.0/3.0 adapters for the other ports, I hope they planned on making a lot. Otherwise, this is going to be "sold out" for quite some time.

Let's hope they plan on making a lot of them.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
fhall1 is using the HDMI port on the mini to drive one display, so the dock would be able to drive the other just fine off of one of its Thunderbolt ports.

Sounds reasonable - but I'd want to see it confirmed in practice that merely having the HDMI port doesn't eat the available video signal. I'm wondering why Belkin dropped the HDMI port from their vapourhub and why Matrox dock has HDMI or DVI but no Thunderbolt out.

That's what I was hoping...now I'll let someone else be the guinea pig when they actually try it with physical hardware. :)

Wise. I'd be delighted to be wrong.

A dock is something that you can plug your laptop into, and have the peripherals automatically connect, and power automatically fed to it. It should hold the laptop as well.

I agree "dock" is not the best word for it, but I'm not sure the 'laptop docking station' is the best solution (I have used one in the past with a laptop PC). This sort of dock:

1. Works with any post-2011 MacBook (and maybe some PCs)
2. Works with Mac Mini or iMac (the Caldigit one might not make sense with an iMac or Mini, unless you really want extra ports, but the Sonnet one, with internal HD, optical drive, eSATA does).
3. Works with any desktop layout - At the desk, I usually work on an external keyboard & display, with my MacBook on an elevator stand - others use a vertical stand and keep the Macbook closed.
4. Moves most of the cables away from the desktop - you can tuck one of these at the back of the desk where the sun don't shine.
5. This and the similar Matrox 'dock' are highly portable (remember, these add some ports that your laptop doesn't have at all, so you might want to take them with you) - even the Sonnet is less bulky than 'your' style of dock.

This is starting to look more realistic... but why only 2 USB ports, and while your at it, where is the eSata port?

Either make a basic Thunderbolt to USB hub, or one with all the ports I'll need?

Look at the CalDigit website - the dock has 2xUSB3 on the back and one on the front (its possible that it uses another USB port internally for the sound).

There's a minimum 'entry fee' for building a Thunderbolt device so it makes sense to throw in more than just USB3 ports.

The Sonnet hub looks like it has 'the works'.

firedownunder

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
That's interesting to hear. I have USB 3.0 on my Mac Pro running Snow Leopard, thanks to a CalDigit eSATA (x2), USB3.0 (x2) 4-port PCI card. It came with a driver on disc, but I can't recall if that was for eSATA or USB3. Probably USB3.

I have the same card, driver on disc is indeed for usb3.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
That already works on the 15-inch MBPR. The 13-inch only has Intel HD 4000 graphics which can only drive 3 displays (the built-in one and up to two externally).

You're right, I should of clarrified further. I want three displays plus a spare TB port for more useful things.

tommyminahan

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
That's the point. A lot of TB only have a single port which means no more daisy chaining. With this having two it can be part of the daisy chain which means a lot of potential TB devices.

Also with TB the monitor has to be the last item in the chain. If any other devices are an end chain device that means no option to use a second monitor. With this device having two TB ports I can continue to daisy chain and use HDMI for a second monitor. I no longer have to unhook TB devices based on if I want to use my video device or a second monitor.

As far as I am aware there is no such thing as a TB device with three ports. Kind of silly since you can daisy chain devices. The only use would be if you had more than one device with a single port like the FW800 adapter and another device that terminates the chain. Honestly with the addition of USB3 as well I may not even use TB for storage anymore since it is a total waste of money compared to USB3. I already have a Seagate TB drive dock however so I may just keep using it.

From the first post- I thought you were referring to a TB display. I was thinking there is still no way for you to get both your display and video device if they both are terminators.
Yes that does make sense that you can use the HDMI for your monitor!

But to me, TB works just like FW. Its meant to be daisy-chained, but like you were saying, what happens when i have several devices that don't have TB-thru on them?

I know they make FW hubs that will turn one port into 3-4.. So why don't they do this with TB?

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
Not owning a mac with thunderbolt, I haven't been closely following the whole thunderbolt dock thing. I've recently decided to buy a rMBP in the near/mid future so have been looking into it a bit.

Am I right in thinking that currently the only real way to get any sort of value out of thunderbolt is through a Thunderbolt Display?! Or is it conceivable that given a large amount of funds you could potentially buy a few bits of hardware to offer similar functionality to these prospective docks?

I find it amazing that over 2 years after thunderbolt was introduced you still can't make the most of it!

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
No Firewire port. That would rule it out for me, as I have too much investment in Firewire peripherals, and I wouldn't want to tie up the Thunderbolt daisy chain port with an Apple Firewire adapter.

So far every Thunderbolt dock I've seen mentioned is missing at least one feature I'd want.

Matrox's doesn't have Thunderbolt daisy chain or Firewire.

CalDigit's doesn't have Firewire.

Belkin's and Sonnet's don't have HDMI output. That's probably the feature of a dock I can most easily live without, as I only occasionally plug in an external display, and my future Retina MBP would have an HDMI port anyway.

----------

Yes, as long as the Thunderbolt bus speed isn't saturated by the combined usage of all connected peripherals.

The dock contains its own USB 3 controller, which is addressed by the host computer independently from the built-in USB 2 controller.

You would need to be running a new enough OS version which has the necessary USB 3 driver support. That definitely means Lion or later, since the first models with USB 3 ports were in June 2012 and came with OS X 10.7.4, and it wouldn't surprise me if Mountain Lion was required for stability reasons.

Cry me a river. The fact you're complaining about $199 tells me you don't value your FW resources all that much. Buy two of these hubs, run :

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD464ZM/A/apple-thunderbolt-to-firewire-adaptor?fnode=51

Off of one and use the other hub for dedicated new solutions.

thbassplaya

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2012
Richmond, Va
http://www.caldigit.com/thunderboltstation/ThunderboltStation.html

Unless the specs are wrong on their product page, they did make all three USB 3.0. Even with no additional ports (FW400/FW800, eSATA, VGA) this is probably the best Thunderbolt dock that is (about to be) on the market given the cost. If it turns out this works with simple, low-cost USB 2.0/3.0 adapters for the other ports, I hope they planned on making a lot. Otherwise, this is going to be "sold out" for quite some time.

I stand corrected. I misinterpreted the copy of "USB 3 (1 front) as that is the only usb3.

snoozy355

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
Well, Thunderbolt just transports DisplayPort and PCIe packets, nothing really gets muxed in the process. But since you bring up DisplayLink, it did occur to me that you could build a dock such as this using a USB 3.0 host controller and a DL-3000 series DisplayLink chip. This way the DisplayLink chip would drive the HDMI port and the Thunderbolt controller could still drive a display directly connected to one of the Thunderbolt ports. I'd be a bit surprised if that's the route CalDigit went here though, seeing as DisplayLink simply encodes the frame buffer and pipes it over USB 3.0, which results in some degree of lag and compression artifacts.

Ok, I've gotten my terminology wrong - yes, meant DisplayPort, not DisplayLink (oops).

That said.. If CalDigit uses a GPU/PCIe to run the HDMI port then this means we can still connect a DisplayPort monitor/adaptor into the TB chain and run another monitor.

As for DisplayLink/USB3 - would rather the GPU option than using a USB3 solution to drive the external monitor :)

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
No Firewire port. That would rule it out for me, as I have too much investment in Firewire peripherals, and I wouldn't want to tie up the Thunderbolt daisy chain port with an Apple Firewire adapter

I've felt the same way just up until I saw this dock and realized that you'll still have the FIREWIRE 800 port on your Macbook (PRO) or what ever machine you have that still uses FW 800. Like you, everything that's inside my laptop bag is Firewire 800 and I'm not just going to get rid of them all for TB/USB3.

As long as I still have the port located on my Macbook Pro, this Hub will do but I'll just wait until the price comes down before I grab one.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

I get it. And that's fine for you. And possibly many others. I would prefer a more customized look and experience for my laptop. Even if it means that I would have to re-purchase a dock should I buy another laptop in a few years.

----------

Apple doesn't license their MagSafe technology, so you won't be seeing an Apple dock with one connection.

Honestly, I've been using a USB3 dock with a Windows 8 tablet lately, and it's no worse than the Thinkpad docks I've been using for years. Sure, I have to make 2 connections instead of 1, but that takes no more time than using a docking station. The fact that it holds it is of little practical benefit in reality.

Don't see why Apple would need to license the MagSafe for a usable dock. Their is no licensing required to pin out the power connections, and the magnetic portion of the connection would not be needed for a dock.

I understand that there are solutions out there that some are finding acceptable. My point was about my own wants and desires. I would prefer a more aesthetically pleasing, streamlined approach. And if I was going to go with the plug in two connections scenario I would just as soon have the Apple Thunderbolt display.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Don't see why Apple would need to license the MagSafe for a usable dock. Their is no licensing required to pin out the power connections, and the magnetic portion of the connection would not be needed for a dock.

A little googling for your edification...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/10...rmac_accessory_maker_over_magsafe_ipod_cables

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/07/09/apple.targets.three.for.copying.magsafe.design/

http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/11/25/knockoffs.selling.for.almost.half.of.apples.price/

So basically, the magsafe connector was patented by Apple and creating any clone of it without licensing (which I am not sure Apple has licensed it to anyone) results in a lawsuit.

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
HDMI IN?
If its true ITS MINE!!!!

P.s.
Can i dock my Xbox and see it on my iMAC?

Last edited:

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.