Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneinten

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Hello,

Using omnisweep I attempted to reduce down my 50gb odd of 'Other' files before I clone it to a new SSD.

In doing so I deleted the 'sleepimage' file using omnisweep which was 8GB, although I have 16gb RAM installed. After reading up I thought the sleepimage file should be the otal size of your installed RAM?

I deleted the file, shut down my mac, restarted and then put it into sleep mode a few times,. and although the file hasn't come back, the folder insire the "VAR" folder hasn't either. It seems to go to sleep and walke up just fine.. but why hasn't my Mac Mini regenerated these files?

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Hello,

Using omnisweep I attempted to reduce down my 50gb odd of 'Other' files before I clone it to a new SSD.

In doing so I deleted the 'sleepimage' file using omnisweep which was 8GB, although I have 16gb RAM installed. After reading up I thought the sleepimage file should be the otal size of your installed RAM?

I deleted the file, shut down my mac, restarted and then put it into sleep mode a few times,. and although the file hasn't come back, the folder insire the "VAR" folder hasn't either. It seems to go to sleep and walke up just fine.. but why hasn't my Mac Mini regenerated these files?

If its working okay don't worry about it for now. If the files still haven't come back over the next week or two you can always repair permissions, or if you need to, just reinstall OS X.

oneinten

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Hello, how do I repair permissions?

And if re-install os x. Will I need to format the drive or can I just repair the install? I'd rather not lose all my apps/media and have to make a backup.just yet

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The sleepimage file will only get created if Safe Sleep is turned on. In general Safe Sleep is more commonly used on MacBooks so the battery doesn't get slowly drained while sleeping.

This can be turned on or off for any Mac. For your Mac mini Safe Sleep is most likely turned off so the sleepimage won't get recreated.

In other words, you probably don't have an issue on your Mac.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
This can be turned on or off for any Mac. For your Mac mini Safe Sleep is most likely turned off so the sleepimage won't get recreated.

In other words, you probably don't have an issue on your Mac.

No, on the 2012 Mini and iMac, hibernation/safe sleep is on, and the sleepimage file will always be created. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1757

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Launch terminal.

Enter this:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
(disables safe sleep)
Enter password when prompted.

Next, enter this:
sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage
(removes sleep image from disk)
Enter password again, if prompted.

Finally, enter this:
pmset -g | grep hibernatemode
(prints to screen the current hibernatemode setting)

You should see:
hibernatemode 0
(Safe Sleep is disabled)

Safe Sleep should now be turned off, and the sleep image has been removed from the drive.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Safe Sleep should now be turned off, and the sleep image has been removed from the drive.
Last time I tried that, the sleepimage file came back anyway. Maybe it does as it should with 10.8.3.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
If the files still haven't come back over the next week or two you can always repair permissions.
Repair Permissions does NOT recreate sleep images or any other sort of magic. Its usefulness is extremely narrow. It is not the universal panacea for all ills.

But doesn't he want to get the image back? It's possibly worth mentioning what effect turning off Safe Sleep will have. If you run out of battery, you lose what you were doing.

"Other" files are not necessarily a Bad Thing. It's pretty much everything except music, video and apps.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello,

This may help: Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion/ML storage tab is about, this may help explain:
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
  • Begin by restarting your computer as a first step. This sometimes resolves issues.

• For Time Machine users on notebooks running Lion or later, space may be consumed by Time Machine local snapshots, which can be disabled.

• Check to see if some of the space is being used by your sleepimage file.

• Check the System Memory tab in Activity Monitor to check page outs and swap used. If swap used is significant, restart your computer and track that value under your normal workload. If you have significant page outs under normal use, you could benefit from more RAM.

• Search with Finder to see if the space is being consumed by a very large file or several large files. Adjust the 50GB in the illustration to whatever size you deem appropriate.
    attachment.php
  • Use OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report, Disk Inventory X, DaisyDisk or GrandPerspective to see how space is being used on your drive. Some of these apps may show more detail than others, so try several.

• Check your drive with Disk Utility: Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks

• Try re-indexing your drive: Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes
Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Last time I tried that, the sleepimage file came back anyway. Maybe it does as it should with 10.8.3.
Here's what you need to do to fix this:

Set sleep mode in shell: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
Remove the image: sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage
Create a blanked file: sudo touch /private/var/vm/sleepimage
Make file immutable: sudo chflags uchg /private/var/vm/sleepimage

Source

oneinten

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Hello,

I purchased the Daisy Disk app and i have found my 8.5GB sleepimage file is back, but can anyone tell me why it is 8.5GB if I have 16gb of ram installed?

I'll try and erase the file for good! but I'm thinking I might do a totally fresh install onto my SSD anyways and monitor the disk space regularly to see what it is that's hogging up the space!

Last edited:

oneinten

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Hello,

I purchased the Daisy Disk app and i have found my 8.5GB sleepimage file is back, but can anyone tell me why it is 8.5GB if I have 16gb of ram installed?

I'll try and erase the file for good! but I'm thinking I might do a totally fresh install onto my SSD anyways and monitor the disk space regularly to see what it is that's hogging up the space!

does anyone know if i Should have a 16gb sleepimage file?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
does anyone know if i Should have a 16gb sleepimage file?

EDIT: As pointed out in your other thread on the same subject, a MacMini shouldn't have any sleep image at all. So you probably should follow some of the advice above about how to disable sleep images.

Alternatively: the advice still stands: if there isn't an actual problem, then do nothing.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.