Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
Apologizes if threaded elsewhere.

Since the rMBP does not have the extra glass layer, what is the best way to clean off the smudges on the edges that appear when having to open the lid?

I used canned air to blow the dust off, but there are a few that refuse to fly away. And of course there are those fingerprints along the upper edge and sides from lifting out of clamshell mode.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How to clean Apple products

Apple also gives instructions on how to clean your Mac in the User Guides for the MBA, MBP and iMac:
Cleaning your Mac When cleaning the outside of your Mac and its components, first shut down your Mac, and then unplug the power adapter. Then use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the Mac exterior. Avoid getting moisture in any openings. Do not spray liquid directly on the computer. Do not use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives that might damage the finish.

Cleaning the Mac screen To clean your Mac screen, first shut down your Mac and unplug the power adapter. Then use a soft, lint-free cloth dampened with just water and wipe the screen. Do not spray liquid directly on the screen.
Also, you'll find plenty of suggestions by searching through the many existing threads on this topic.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I like Zeiss wipes you can get in the eyeglasses department at Walmart. They are made for cleaning glasses, lenses, screens and other glass surfaces. They do not leave residue.

TomA

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
No matter how much I clean the MBP retina screen, it always has streaks. I've tried just about everything I can think of including a dry cloth. Even a dry cloth leaves streaks on this thing. :confused:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The retina screen is just glass. A damp microfiber cloth does the job quickly and nicely.

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
The retina screen is just glass. A damp microfiber cloth does the job quickly and nicely.

Agree - my rMBP came w/ a microfiber cloth (similar to the ones I've used for years w/ my CDs & DVDs) - I'll use it dry to start and if still a problem, damped a portion w/ just a few drops of water and try again - usually successful (and certainly avoid those products mentioned in the quoted statement above). :)

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
the mbpr comes with a cleaning cloth.....how about using the cleaning cloth?

if apple provides it...assuming how anal they are about everything...it probably works good.

i use my little black cloth on all smudges and it cleans it like magic..if you have some dots from spit or talking simply use ur breath to create a little condensation and wipe with magical little black cloth...walll lahhhh clean!

hahaha

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
No matter how much I clean the MBP retina screen, it always has streaks. I've tried just about everything I can think of including a dry cloth. Even a dry cloth leaves streaks on this thing. :confused:

I use a product called iklear, works fantastic! Use it on my rMBP, my ipad, and my i5. Even used it on my TV, not a single streak!

I ordered it from Amazon, but I believe you can also order it directly through they're website.

TomA

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
the mbpr comes with a cleaning cloth.....how about using the cleaning cloth?

Lost it a long time ago.

I use a product called iklear, works fantastic! Use it on my rMBP, my ipad, and my i5. Even used it on my TV, not a single streak!

Maybe that would work. I've tried normal glass cleaners and cloths for sunglasses to no avail.

It might be plain glass, but it has some coating that streaks easily.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California

The problems with this suggestion are as follows:

1) It works too well
2) It involves common sense
3) It saves money
4) It saves time

I'm guilty of using the same method, but what do I know :eek:

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I like Zeiss wipes you can get in the eyeglasses department at Walmart. They are made for cleaning glasses, lenses, screens and other glass surfaces. They do not leave residue.

This is what I do with my iPad!! My MBP has matte screen so I don't clean it very often. :apple:

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
I use the gigantic microfiber cloth that comes with the monster cleaning kit. And, depending on what the weather looks like, a little Rain-X for that streak-free look.

Poetic Fixer

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2013
The heck with the cloth they give you, I just mix some water with alcohol and dab it all over the whole thing, then let it dry. Then if there's something that won't come off I'll use nail polish with cotton balls. Works every time!

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013

If the cloth is only damp it will not leave streaks. Wet will.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I clean my new Retina MacBook Pro the same way I've cleaned all my laptops:

throw it in the dishwasher with some soap and gasoline

X7p1F4x.jpg

Reactions: iPodClassic1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.