Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i pay $266 for 4 phones on one account. 2 iphone 5's, galaxy S3 and iphone 4S

unlimited minutes and texts. i don't even have a home phone anymore since there is no need
10GB data shared between all phones
all the lines are subsidized for 24 month contract but AT&T gives you an upgrade after 18-20 months

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I'm from France (second largest iPhone customer base), and I'm sorry if us European are way smarter than americans, which has never been to prove, ever, anywhere in the world, except of course in 'MMeericca.

The recession is not worse than in the US (well in UK, Germany, France, Austria, Sweden...), we just don't continue to spend mindlessly, we are less prone to marketing ******** (because trust me, anyone would by an innovative Apple product if they were still...innovative) and yes we fight for our customer rights because WE PAY for it, that's WHAT companies thrive on and we're not stakeholder in these companies business, especially if they do it wrong or try to milk us.

So yes, now in France you can have all Unlimited calls, txt, 4G data AND Fiber Optic internet connection for 50/60€ with no contract and we certainly won't buy into the next 800€ uninnovative iteration of iPhone/Ipad (or Galaxy S4/Note).

This post is hilarious. You are doing the exact same thing you accuse Americans of - thinking they are better than everyone else. The irony is off the charts.

andross77

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Wait, unlimited calls, texts and 3GB of data for $30?! That's like $100 in the states.

What land mass is covered by the $30? What land mass is covered by the $100? I shake my head everytime people think a cell phone plan in the US that covers at least all continental US (48 states) should be the same price as one in Europe that might cover an area the size of the state of Texas.

/headshake
/headshake
/headshake

damitssam

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
What land mass is covered by the $30? What land mass is covered by the $100? I shake my head everytime people think a cell phone plan in the US that covers at least all continental US (48 states) should be the same price as one in Europe that might cover an area the size of the state of Texas.

/headshake
/headshake
/headshake

Really you think some smart competitor would wise up and just build towers along every major interstate highway and urban areas and leave the countryside alone. Unless their is some state law that says otherwise.

andross77

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Really you think some smart competitor would wise up and just build towers along every major interstate highway and urban areas and leave the countryside alone. Unless their is some state law that says otherwise.

all companies do this already when they are building out a new network (upgrade to 3g, upgrade to 4g). They start in big urban areas so they can say X number of millions are covered by our network! Then smaller companies like Tmobile DO forget about all rural areas and only the bigger ones like ATT/Verizon put towers in farmlands. Hence, verizons high price = great coverage wherever you go. Tmobile low price = not great coverage outside of cities.

But the point is of course a plan that covers France will cost less than a plan that covers the continental US. The US is 3,794,101 square miles and France is 260,558 square miles. That means a cell phone plan in the US covers 14.5 times the area as France. And it's only 3 times as expensive (or in Tmobile's case twice as expensive). That is a STEAL! :)

Anyone that thinks otherwise is free to move to France to save that painful $24.....

damitssam

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
all companies do this already when they are building out a new network (upgrade to 3g, upgrade to 4g). They start in big urban areas so they can say X number of millions are covered by our network! Then smaller companies like Tmobile DO forget about all rural areas and only the bigger ones like ATT/Verizon put towers in farmlands. Hence, verizons high price = great coverage wherever you go. Tmobile low price = not great coverage outside of cities.

But the point is of course a plan that covers France will cost less than a plan that covers the continental US. The US is 3,794,101 square miles and France is 260,558 square miles. That means a cell phone plan in the US covers 14.5 times the area as France. And it's only 3 times as expensive (or in Tmobile's case twice as expensive). That is a STEAL! :)

Anyone that thinks otherwise is free to move to France to save that painful $24.....

Remember also though, the US population and the profit per person (lets assume the same would mean cell companies in the US have a hell of a lot of more money to spend)

Seems like french citizens are paying more in taxes (duh) or french companies making a higher profit margin per person if its high as 29 euro for that much less sq mileage.

FYI T-mobiles coverage map is still far too big. I'm talking interstate / state highway only with top 100 cities. Maybe mr carlos sims wants to do this.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The New Status Symbol

The largest possible smartphone (Samsung) or the most expensive phones (iPhone 5) and expensive plans are the latest status symbol in the USA.

I know people who will be in line for a 5S and pay the ETF (and have done this since the original iPhone).

I told someone that I'm on a cheap T-Mobile plan with an old unlocked 3GS and I own an old iPad and the person rolled their eyes saying "we'll, if that's all you can afford" (essentially, if you can't afford Apple, don't bother with anything...:eek:).

Sad, really....

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010

/headshake
/headshake
/headshake

Did you ever consider the difference in population? 300+ milliom vs 60?

or coverage ? Please dont pretend all the USA is covered ;

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx/

pointless discussion as most people dont travel all that often and just need good reception at cheap prices where they live. And from experrience I can see europa is cheaper. Be happy for them and push for more competition in the USA instead of making up excuses for US companies .

andross77

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Did you ever consider the difference in population? 300+ milliom vs 60?

or coverage ? Please dont pretend all the USA is covered ;

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx/

pointless discussion as most people dont travel all that often and just need good reception at cheap prices where they live. And from experrience I can see europa is cheaper. Be happy for them and push for more competition in the USA instead of making up excuses for US companies .

Verizon covers over 280 million people. that's the vast majority of the US. You linked Tmobile's coverage map but you can get plans for $30 with them and have unlimited text and data. That is a much better deal that $26 Euro to have a plan that covers France. And if you want to pay more, to get better service (Verizon) you have that choice. American carriers are fine. Stop being cheap :)

claus1225

macrumors member
May 25, 2009
Some folks posted about the mobile plans in other countries so I figure I'll post about the plan in Taiwan.

In Taiwan, there is no contract. You buy a lovely iPhone at full retail price (or in the case of iphone 5 - at an discount since it is not selling so hot)

But guess what? The money you paid for the phone is actually credit for your voice and data usage. You essentially get a $600 credit towards your phone bill.

If you are an average user, that credit usually lasts for about 6 months to a year. After that, you just pay what you use every month. But keep in mind, there is no contract at anytime.

Of course, the voice and data fee in Taiwan is still much cheaper than US.

maniaco007

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
San Francisco
We also retain significantly more of our income after taxes. It's a tradeoff.

Im french and have now lived in CA for 16 years... I used to pay 35% in taxes in France... I pay over 40% (including sales tax and all "fees") in CA... Yet here I only get healthcare when employed full time, and public schools are worse than in Cuba!

And of course all unlimited phome plans including home Internet cost $25 in France (using the FREE inc service!). The US is the house of scam, with its population proudly ignorant about it.

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
Population density of UK is much higher than that for US, thus the infrastructure and price of service is much lower in UK.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density_based_on_food_growing_capacity

Population density doesn't mean anything, except that they need less cell towers, the U.S. population being the third highest in the world, means that it should be cheaper, but of course there are legal monopolies, and illegal pricing deals all over the place.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Verizon covers over 280 million people. that's the vast majority of the US. You linked Tmobile's coverage map but you can get plans for $30 with them and have unlimited text and data. That is a much better deal that $26 Euro to have a plan that covers France. And if you want to pay more, to get better service (Verizon) you have that choice. American carriers are fine. Stop being cheap :)

The statement was "the whole USA" not 280 million americans.

ANd what tmobile plan?

I find at best 50$

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/individual-plans.aspx

500MB data

Thats almost doubt for less.

So no again stop making up excuses for too expensive plans

andross77

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
The statement was "the whole USA" not 280 million americans.

ANd what tmobile plan?

I find at best 50$

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/individual-plans.aspx

500MB data

Thats almost doubt for less.

So no again stop making up excuses for too expensive plans

280 million Americans is the vast majority of the USA. And if you can't find the $30 tmobile plan by doing a simple google search, i pity you..... :)

andross77

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
In population not in area, and that was the quote

Then give it.

lol, i don't give handouts to people too lazy to type in a google search. why you got to be such a hardass? just search for it in google and admit you don't know that much about cell phones or cell phone plans if you don't know about Tmobile's $30 plan option.

Renzatic

Suspended
This post is hilarious. You are doing the exact same thing you accuse Americans of - thinking they are better than everyone else. The irony is off the charts.

That's what the internet does to people. Makes us all dumb and oblivious.

I read something the other day that made me laugh my ass off. I dunno if the guy was trolling or just...not too terribly bright. He was going off on one of those usual tirades about Americans people usually post when they're feeling all edgy and extra smart and want to prove to the world how edgy and extra smart they are. We've all seen them. Occasionally they pop up around here. But it ended with a paragraph that went something like:

"If there's one thing I can't stand, it a bigot. That's why I hate Americans. They're all bigots".

I tell you. It takes a special kind of unaware to say something like that.My hope was that the guy was trolling, cuz if not...

...I fear for the future.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
lol, i don't give handouts to people too lazy to type in a google search. why you got to be such a hardass? just search for it in google and admit you don't know that much about cell phones or cell phone plans if you don't know about Tmobile's $30 plan option.

Yeah putting more time saying it excist then actually providing the link usuaky means it BS.

Still waiting.

andross77

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Yeah putting more time saying it excist then actually providing the link usuaky means it BS.

Still waiting.

anyone still reading this childish argument is laughing more at you for being ignorant to Tmobile's $30 plan than at the both of us for perpetuating this childish argument. And I too, am laughing at your inability to search for things yourself :)

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
anyone still reading this childish argument is laughing more at you for being ignorant to Tmobile's $30 plan than at the both of us for perpetuating this childish argument. And I too, am laughing at your inability to search for things yourself :)

Sure thats why you spends post after post without any proof of what you claim, indeed very childish :lol:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.