Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manicmonday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
I'm an IOS user because I value the quality of Apple's products, and the security they offer. I'm afraid that Google is following us more than they should be allowed to. Every website has Google Ads, and it occurred to me that Google can make a map of everything we do on the internet. Google ads are on almost every website, and the only way we can opt out of Google altogether is to not use the internet. It's almost impossible to avoid using something made by Google. I've always wondered what kind of data Google collects, and have been trying to learn about this kind of thing, by reading all news that I find on this topic. I was wondering what you guys think. Do you mind Google recording everything you do online? Do you think France and Germany should ban Google's services that violate our privacy rights? Should we be protected from this kind of tracking? The articles below talked a lot about this topic, and I wonder what fellow Apple owners think. I wish Apple would release a search engine and computer advertising so we wouldn't have to worry about this stuff =/

Google's 'Project Glass': A Huge Threat To Privacy?
How Europe’s Fight with Google Over Privacy Ignores Real Privacy
Google must defend privacy policies to 6 European agencies
Google's Legal Problems In Europe Could Hurt Earnings
Google's privacy woes are just the beginning

Last edited:

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
You seem to be making Google out to be a bad guy and Apple to be the hero. I think it's naive to think Apple is all innocent or any company for that matter. Plenty here have too must trust in Apple. Don't get me wrong, I like Apple...OS X. And Google with Android. Works great despite what you'll hear from some users.

Honestly, I think you're being a bit paranoid. Yea it we're being tracked. Call it Google, call it Facebook (aka: Big Brother). Heck look at your iPhone, how do you know nobody's listening to you or watching you? It has a built in mic and camera! Just because it's off doesn't mean it's off. You don't know who has connections to your phone and who's doing what with that data.

Is that possible? I think so. But technology comes at a price and I don't mean money...;)

No I don't wear a tin foil hat. :cool:

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Personally I think this is ridiculous. Every single company that is involved with software, the Internet, mobile devices, search and advertising is tracking you. I have never heard of a single case where someone was harmed because of this. Whether from Google or any other big company like Apple, Microsoft, Yahoo or Bing (MS). I just haven't seen it. I think you should be careful with your information but other than that, I don't worry about it.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Use Bing for search and give Microsoft some piece of your information. Finally we will not avoid that kind of tracking as Google and others mainly generate income from ads.

Not that I'm feeling too comfortable with it and for example don't log in to Google when I search with them. And I use privacy setting etc. finally nothing to hide ...

Or we say by-by to free Internet and pay for each search and email ? :eek:

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Privacy policy?? I wish they had one!

Just wait until the day when the insurance companies demand information on what kind of diseases you have googled over the past few years. "Nothing to hide"?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Personally I think this is ridiculous. Every single company that is involved with software, the Internet, mobile devices, search and advertising is tracking you. I have never heard of a single case where someone was harmed because of this. Whether from Google or any other big company like Apple, Microsoft, Yahoo or Bing (MS). I just haven't seen it. I think you should be careful with your information but other than that, I don't worry about it.

This. I've been surfing the internet since the mid-90's. And I have used it pretty much everyday since. You think there's an issue now? How about when there wasn't even very much regulation on the internet?

All this information is just for research purposes and nothing more. They care about the keywords and nothing more.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
the only way we can opt out of Google altogether is to not use the internet

Nope.

Put their common sites in your hosts file. block their domain on one of your firewalls. Use an add blocker. Ok, pretty hard, but not impossible.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I get the impression some are a little cavalier about the issue? We should be concerned even if there are "legitimate" uses of data mining, and I am a happy google and facebook user.

At the least we should be watching them while they watch us.

Manicmonday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
I wish Apple would buy duckduckgo or partner with bing. Bing and duckduckgo don't track you, and can't paint as complete a picture as google does. Ad blocking only protects you from direct advertising. It doesn't help with gmail/google search. Google should be obligated to have a do not track option.

Last edited:

Manicmonday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
Last edited:

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Anyone who is paranoid about Googles data shouldn't have a

1: drivers license
2: bank account
3: debt or credit card
4: any type of insurance policy
5: and should never go to w hospital.

Because the goverment, banks and insurance companies know far more about you than google does

Manicmonday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
Google is a private company and does not have the same legal authority as the government. Also, Google doesn't have the ability to keep data secure. Android is infested with Malware. I wonder know how much of the worlds data has been stolen by third parties due to inept security. I think Google pulled out of China because they thought the Chinese government was trying to hack their servers. The nonsense about not approving of censorship was simply a PR story.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Anyone who is paranoid about Googles data shouldn't have a

1: drivers license
2: bank account
3: debt or credit card
4: any type of insurance policy
5: and should never go to w hospital.

Because the goverment, banks and insurance companies know far more about you than google does

Why are the gov, banks, insurance corps selling our info? Especially if we pay them for their services. Google knows more abt me than my own government which is scarry.

Manicmonday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
Couldn't agree more. It's beyond creepy. I can understand the government having certain abilities, but there are serious ethical problems with a private company having them. Who does Google report to?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Meh. All companies take user usage info for their own benefit, usually so they can target ads. I happily use Google for my search engine, web browser and netbook OS. I don't have a problem with them taking data since its pretty obvious what they use it for. I doubt it is in Google's interest to increase paranoia by actually using the data for something malicious.

To be honest, I'm more wary of them who take user usage data for no apparent reason. At least we know with Google that it is all for ads. What is Apple's and Microsoft's explanation?

Manicmonday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
Who told you with Google it's all for Ads? Google uses the data it collects for far more than "advertising". I find it ironic that Apple was yelled at for collecting some data with Siri. Google was using recorded messages from Google Voice, Search, advertising referral links, youtube, and email sniffing to find out data. Now Google is requiring you to pair your real name, and email with your youtube account? I doubt this is only for advertising.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Who told you with Google it's all for Ads?
Since Google's services tend to be free, that is the way they make their businesslike some money.

Google uses the data it collects for far more than "advertising". I find it ironic that Apple was yelled at for collecting some data with Siri. Google was using recorded messages from Google Voice, Search, advertising referral links, youtube, and email sniffing to find out data. Now Google is requiring you to pair your real name, and email with your youtube account? I doubt this is only for advertising.

What do you think it is then? Google stalking people? Trying to find out enough personal info to steal your identity? Keep that tinfoil hat on. :rolleyes:

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Why are the gov, banks, insurance corps selling our info? Especially if we pay them for their services. Google knows more abt me than my own government which is scarry.

The government tracks you, your bank tracks you, insurance companies know everything about you. Google tracks your interests, and that's it, they don't even know your name because they don't care.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
If you're using Google's services you don't really have any right to object to them tracking you and using the data they get to make money. It's not like you're paying for their services - You're getting them for free. So they have to make money off you somehow... It's why they offer the products to you in the first place! You can't really say to Google "Oh, I want to use your products for free, but I don't want you tracking me and making money off me. I just think you should give me everything for nothing in return."

What I reckon Google should do is offer a *paid* option, where users pay a relatively low fee, like $20 a month or something, to remove ALL forms of tracking & advertising from ALL of their products. Then when people whine about privacy and tracking, they can simply point to their paid option and go "You can pay for it one way or the other. Your choice."

Manicmonday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
What I reckon Google should do is offer a *paid* option, where users pay a relatively low fee, like $20 a month or something, to remove ALL forms of tracking & advertising from ALL of their products. Then when people whine about privacy and tracking, they can simply point to their paid option and go "You can pay for it one way or the other. Your choice."

I completely agree. Any service that collects significant data from its users, should be obligated by law to have an option for its users to pay a fee, say $50-100, to have tracking and advertising turned off.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
I don't mind that Google Ads on various websites are based on what Google knows that I like. I assume that's a way for them to make money in return for free services, and it's up to me if I'll purchase what's offered in the ads anyway.

What I do mind is for Google to sell my entire search history to anyone who's willing to pay. Such as if my insurance company wants to know what illnesses I have been looking up. "We suspect you're prone to cancer. No deal!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.